Trailer Trash

RGOT Mondaily (Read 23 times)

AT-runner

Tim

Planning on walking 5-6 miles tonight on TM while DW is at chorus. Monday is usually an SRD, but I've done this walking thing in the past and it went well. 12 people are now signed up for the 48hr Sole Challenge. man are we nuts.

Nice game last night. Atlanta's Kyle Shanahan (offensive coordinator) blew it with his play calling. When they were in field goal range 2 different times, he called for back to back passing plays and both times had a sack and a holding penalty. Brady is amazing.

QOTD: Best advice you ever got from John M, or best story you have about him?   My dad was killed in a car crash in 2002.  I posted something in RWOL about not wanting to run my marathon which was 1 week after he died.  John sent me a long e-mail full of scripture and kind words and told me to call him anytime I needed some fatherly wisdom.  It meant a lot to me that he took the time to do that, and yes, I did go out and run the Harrisburg marathon crying off and on the last few miles.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Wow what a game! I don't care if so many people hate Brady and the Pats - you cannot deny they are the GOAT.  But I digress...

A run tonight of some sort.

AT: Are they also having the 24 hour?

QOTD: I just always liked his stories, pictures and attitude of enjoying the trail.  There is a lot of meaning in that and not about the actual trail.  Enjoy life.  Enjoy what life throws your way.  Stop and smell the roses each and everyday.  I cannot say it was something I got right away but over time I truly stopped trying to push my runs and just enjoyed my time out on the trails.  Now that I do not run trails nearly as much as I would like, I relish those times.

I still have his book and will refer back often as I continue to enjoy what the trail gives me.  Run gently out there John.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

XtremeTaper

I had some hamstring/gastroc tightness pop up at the end of Saturday's run. Sort of weird, we had ran about 12-13 miles and I was feeling good, then we took a walk break on the pavement for 1/2 mile on the road into Hopewell. Started to run after that and had some tightness in the hammy out of the blue. Sigh. Always something with me these days.

Anyway, no run today, but some planet of fitness action after work. I did get in a slow jogging 8 on the trails yesterday at Green Lane and as long as I kept the pace slow the hammie seemed ok. Some extra days off this week.

QOTD: Never met or interacted with John outside these forums. I enjoyed his stories, poems almost, and photos that he posted here. And of course his articles in ultrarunning. I can't think of any specific advice other than to appreciate the outdoors and the world around us. I did click back to the early pages of this forum and read a few posts today.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

LB2

SRD. Plus, legs are shot from a 10 mile speed session on Saturday, fartleks, and another 7 before church yesterday.

QOTD: In 2012, John was working the Damnation aid station at Rocky Raccoon. It was my first 100 mile event. The weather was horrendous. My feet were literally bleeding, and somewhere around mile 75 I had done something to my knee. By the last loop, I could still walk quite fast (or so it seemed to me), but running was really not happening. I made it back to Damnation as the sky was turning pink. I should have been there at least two hours sooner in my mind. But in a 100 mile run, like life, you do the best you can with what the circumstances are and get there as best you can. At some point, you're just thankful to still be in the game. Anyway, John was the first person I remember seeing at that stop, mile 94. With a big grin, he said "Congratulations, Burke!!" He was genuinely happy to see me finish, even though I had six miles left. That has stuck with me ever since that day. Many things are burned into my memory from that event; I think most of them are accurate. But I know that one is. I didn't get to see him after the race, but we did stay in touch, even swapped some books. I sent him "Illumination in the Flatwoods", a story about Joe Hutto raising a brood of wild turkeys in northern Florida. And we chatted/messaged back and forth about RCW's (Red Cockaded Woodpeckers) aka the "Indian Hen" and Barred Owls from time to time. I am so happy I got to personally meet him.

Also, He and I talked about that congratulatory remark at a later date. He said his smile was directly related to the grin I had when I came into the aid station. At that point, I knew I had it, but I don't remember smiling until I saw his smile. So, I don't know who smiled first.

LB2

Sandy-2

SRD today.

qotd: I always liked his posts and photos.  He would ask me about ships every once in a while, he liked to know about the ones passing through the Sound.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

AT-runner

Tim

AT: Are they also having the 24 hour?

Yes, 6-12-24 and 48hr.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

It was raining this morning so I didn't get up..I may run after work but highly unlikely.  I will go to the gym at lunch but no TM, just weights

QOTD:  I got pissed off at John because he made some comments about my poor grammar in a post.  I basically told him to screw himself and don't read my post since the incorrect grammar was too disturbing for him.  He than reached out an PM me.  He stroke a nerve because my Mom use to correct my letters to home  (yes, letters..long distance was expensive then) and put them on the fridge for when I visited.  John and I made up and always had that special connection.

I pulled John's book out to finish and saw this...some I know who they are and some I forgot.  Like I didn't realize Sandy was slowdown.

No automatic alt text available.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

NHLA

7.5 miles on Echo Mt. Beautiful day. 60 degrees.  Mowed the yard in shorts in feb.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Changed my schedule around so I could run on trails today in honor of John.

qotd: I met John through RWOL before I came here. There's nothing specific that I could point to, but he always had a word of encouragement. That was very important to me as I began training for ultras on my own and no longer had a coach to guide me.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

runtraildc

Just did a short, sunny and dog filled hike in Rock Creek.  It's almost 60 here and will be warm much of the week. Too early for this and we need snow. But it was really nice to get outside in, too. Saw a pileated woodpecker, which always makes me happy.

qotd: I always enjoyed his posts and pics. He lived in a part of the country where I had lived, then visited frequently, so his pictures always brought back good memories.

AT-runner

Tim

QOTD:  I got pissed off at John because he made some comments about my poor grammar in a post.  I basically told him to screw himself and don't read my post since the incorrect grammar was too disturbing for him.  He than reached out an PM me.  He stroke a nerve because my Mom use to correct my letters to home  (yes, letters..long distance was expensive then) and put them on the fridge for when I visited.  John and I made up and always had that special connection.

I never correct you, because I know it's because you are one of the last people on earth still using an iPhone 4.

Plus I get a kick out of all the "mike's" you do.

I remember when he was a Grammar Nazi.  I think someone else also called him out about that on the RWOL forum.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

got a glorious 12 miles in yesterday, almost equally split between running with spikes and running with snowshoes. Glorious as it was close to 30 degrees, can't describe how pleasant that was!

strength training this evening

qotd: I think John attempted to correct my grammar a time or two    I enjoyed his laid back view of trail running; if it isn't fun why do it?  I tend to share the same view, just can't articulate it as well as John 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

AT-runner

Tim

QOTD: In 2012, John was working the Damnation aid station at Rocky Raccoon. It was my first 100 mile event. The weather was horrendous. My feet were literally bleeding, and somewhere around mile 75 I had done something to my knee. By the last loop, I could still walk quite fast (or so it seemed to me), but running was really not happening. I made it back to Damnation as the sky was turning pink. I should have been there at least two hours sooner in my mind. But in a 100 mile run, like life, you do the best you can with what the circumstances are and get there as best you can. At some point, you're just thankful to still be in the game. Anyway, John was the first person I remember seeing at that stop, mile 94. With a big grin, he said "Congratulations, Burke!!" He was genuinely happy to see me finish, even though I had six miles left. That has stuck with me ever since that day. Many things are burned into my memory from that event; I think most of them are accurate. But I know that one is. I didn't get to see him after the race, but we did stay in touch, even swapped some books. I sent him "Illumination in the Flatwoods", a story about Joe Hutto raising a brood of wild turkeys in northern Florida. And we chatted/messaged back and forth about RCW's (Red Cockaded Woodpeckers) aka the "Indian Hen" and Barred Owls from time to time. I am so happy I got to personally meet him.

Also, He and I talked about that congratulatory remark at a later date. He said his smile was directly related to the grin I had when I came into the aid station. At that point, I knew I had it, but I don't remember smiling until I saw his smile. So, I don't know who smiled first.

Awesome story. Amazing how a king word, gesture or  a smile of encouragement can turn a day / race around.