Trailer Trash

Freakin' Fridailies (Read 36 times)

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Got in a decent 2 miles last night...another clear and crisp night.

Any word regarding Kelly? The tracker seemed to get stuck or he stopped at 22 miles?!?

QOTD: If your state (or some agency in your state) started enforcing some strict rules about trail usage, what would you do? ("screw them, I am running anyways!"...."I will be obedient and probably change my trail running"...."I will advocate hard for our rights".....or other....)

PA is trying to put into place a ban on all State Game Lands during prime hunting seasons (End of Nov. to third week of Jan and then again April throug May) and then also enforce a permit for all hikers (non hunters) for the rest of the year.  Not sure it will pass but sure seems closer to it than they ever have before.

I am conflicted.  It sucks.  The ban doesn't sit well with me.  The permit not as bad but still unsure how this affects things.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Took the day off to rest due to foot pain.  Marley has twice approached me, barked once,  and looked at the door.  Then she refused to go out.  She is obviously telling me to take her for a run.

QOTD:  I already break the ban on running at the local reservoir between sunset and sunrise at the risk of a $90 fine.  They don't seem to enforce it much in the morning and even in the evening tend to pick on MTB riders much more than runners or hikers.  So I figure the risk is low.  I'd probably break other rules as well, but it would depend on the likelihood of getting caught and the severity of the penalty.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

AT-runner

Tim

SRD today.  I'm enjoying my step back week and have two 10 milers planned for the weekend.

QOTD:  Jamie,  I was sorry to break the news on the PA info.  Not sure if I mind the permit thing, but don't like idea of any bans.  I stay away for deer rifle season, but don't see why they are pushing for a ban on hikers and runners during the other times.  If it goes through, I'll plead ignorance if caught.  At ;east the AT has "right of way" through the State Game Lands and they can't stop us from using that.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

runtraildc

Morning, trailers!  I ended up with an hour of yoga and 2.5 miles squeezed in during dinner prep.  It wasn't far, but I ran fast to avoid overcooking the chicken.  So, I will get in 4 or 5 miles today.  Nice sunshine and warm.

Jamie-- nice to have you back (and starting the daily)!

TT- Hope the foot is feeling better soon.  Poor Marley.

AT- enjoy your 'easy' runs!  Weather's looking pretty good for the weekend.

qotd: It would depend on the reasoning.  If an area is closed or 'banned' for restoration or protection/conservation reasons, I would in general support it.  If it were to ban other users or protect particular interests, no I would not support and probably skirt around it.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

SRD today.  I'm enjoying my step back week and have two 10 milers planned for the weekend.

QOTD:  Jamie,  I was sorry to break the news on the PA info.  Not sure if I mind the permit thing, but don't like idea of any bans.  I stay away for deer rifle season, but don't see why they are pushing for a ban on hikers and runners during the other times.  If it goes through, I'll plead ignorance if caught.  At ;east the AT has "right of way" through the State Game Lands and they can't stop us from using that.

Don't be sorry.  It's good to get the word out.  I posted it on a local FB page of trail runners and some people are not happy one bit.  I emailed the PGC and already rec'd a response.  They thanked me and said it would be passed on.

I might have stated wrong on the ban time.  I think it's the end of September through the third week of January (and April through May).  That's a big chunk of time.  I don't know how they were enforce it.  But if hunters know there is a ban, they might be a littler more free - maybe.

sugnim

Good morning all.  I went out for a little 4.5 mile run on the river trail this morning.  There was a little bit of freezing rain, and no other humans were out.

QOTD:  That would be a difficult one.  I spent 5 years working for the prosecutor's office, and currently work for a law firm--I don't like breaking laws.  But, I really do love running trail.  I think I would probably try to make an equal access claim to try to change the law to allow multiple types of recreation, including hunting and running.  I just couldn't live with a law like that.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I'm running 5 at lunch...I have my motivation posted on my computer...see below.

QOTD: I would try to skirt around the issue...like sneak in .  The parking lot says closed after dusk so I park outside the lot and still run.  I QUAD ride and they recently put up signs on all the roads we drive saying HWY legal vehicles only...this totally sucks.  Guess it was always a rule but now they are going to enforce it.  Riding is good family fun.  Smile  government sucks!  oh yea I work for the government...I suck!

Jame:  I hope the permit is a yearly thing not a daily permit.  But that actually sucks and since it's not reality yet I would let my voice be heard.

runtraildc:  Way to sneak those miles in...you inspire me.

Kelly:  Someone posted on his facebook "Sorry to hear the news" so I am guessing the tracker may be right... 

Posted on my work computer to motivate me to run at lunch...going to post one on my alarm at home.  No I'm not competitive Mandy.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

AT-runner

Tim

I'm running 5 at lunch...I have my motivation posted on my computer...see below.

Posted on my work computer to motivate me to run at lunch...going to post one on my alarm at home.  No I'm not competitive Mandy.

What a beautiful young lady!

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Hahahaha!  Sue, I hate you!    Actually, that's pretty awesome.  I am up for some friendly competition.  You should win since you're not a gimp, but I am very consistent with my miles, so let's go!

It's a SRD for me, so Sue can make up some ground.

QOTD: That sucks, Jamie.  I'm a rebel.  I typically don't buy a bike pass even though I am supposed to have one to ride on our trails.  Maybe I'll be a good girl and pay for one this year.  I would be pretty pissy if they tried to do this in Wisconsin.  Harrier would probably start a riot.

Running is dumb.

Daydreamer1

Back to working my regular shifts again, blah. The good thing is now I'll have time for important things such as sleep, running and sleep. Working 15-16 hours a day with 45 minute one way commutes wears a old man out after a while.  But here I am stuck at work until 8 am tomorrow so I have to wait until tomorrow to start my regular running regimen again.

QOTD: To start with I've been a hunter in PA for the past 37 years.  I have no love for the PA game commission. I have never broken a game law but have never had a positive interaction with game commission officials. It's far too in depth to discuss all my grievances with them here.

However, to fully understand their side of the argument/dilemma one must understand how the PA State Game lands came into existence. Basically  the Game Commission receives all or most of it's funding from fees on hunters and hunting supplies. My understanding is that none of their funding comes from the general budget. All the State Game Lands properties were purchased with money from the hunters.

This causes me to have a different perspective on the issue. I view the Game Lands as being more like a semi-private club and not totally public lands. Since the Hunters bought and pay to maintain the land, why should everyone else be allowed unrestricted access?  In the past there have been erosion issues from unrestrained horse and ATV usage and the costs to fix it came from the game commission budget. Also hikers, bikers and other usage can alter game movement patterns affecting a person's hunting experience, not to mention the increased risk of accidents.

If the land has been paid for by all, then all should be able to use it, ie. the State Forest system. However, since the Game Lands are paid for and maintained by hunters the Commission should have the right to limit usage of non paying people.

My understanding is that the way the State Game Lands are purchased and administered here in PA is unique across the nation.  If you spend a lot of time running on the Commission's land you can always purchase a hunting license and do a little "scouting". Then there's no problem.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I went skiing with my boys last night, and we had a blast! The boys' first time on skis - I was glad they had their first lesson before I took them up and down the slope! Yet they seem to be naturals at skiing, and by the end of the day, they both went down the bunny hill on their own, and up on the chair lift all by themselves. Can I log this as strength training? 

Getting ready to head out for a short sweep up and down the mountain, but I'm tired from starting work early. Maybe I'll hold off and do a night run with DD instead.

QOTD: I barely ever run on State Game Lands, so it currently would not affect my running. I agree with DD1's comment on the Game Commission and hunters having a good weight in determining the use of the trails on "their" lands. However, if most of the trails accessible to you are on State Game Land, the new regulation would be hard to follow. In our area though, it's easy to just change the playground and run on other trails during the ban. I might express my opinion by writing e-mails, or signing petitions, but generally, I would follow the ban for the most part.

Run for fun.

NorthernHarrier

QOTD: That sucks, Jamie.  I'm a rebel.  I typically don't buy a bike pass even though I am supposed to have one to ride on our trails.  Maybe I'll be a good girl and pay for one this year.  I would be pretty pissy if they tried to do this in Wisconsin.  Harrier would probably start a riot.

Actually my response to that is probably opposite than what you think and this has come up for discussion in our state a number of times over the last several years.  Not the overall closing of the lands but all users, bird watchers, hikers, berry pickers, etc paying a license fee for usage.   I'm not sure how public lands are broken out in PA but luckily for us what's classified as state public hunting lands are small as compared to the state,county, and national forest not to mention other type of public lands.  Now  Daydreamer stole my thunder as also in Wi. those public hunting grounds were paid for and managed by my license fees and excise taxes. The thing is here most of these areas are small and scattered all over following the master plan of Leopold in his papers on game management that date back to the 30's. Most of our large tracts are in some sort of forest mgt, which are open for all public usage.

So yes I would start a riot if these lands were to be closed for others usage during the hunting season but user fees not so much. I know this is getting longer than I intended but here is the mindset.--  The light thinking hunters know they are paying the bills so don't want any free loader using their land. The deeper thinking hunter welcomes user fees but also understands that by charging non-hunters user fees you have to give these non-hunters a voice in managing these lands. Well NO hunter wants that so that's why in our state it hasn't happened yet. But with our current Governor anything is possible including selling off some of our state properties.

Daydreamer says it well. Non hunters benefit by these lands and should be willing to help support them. Buy a license or donate some time.

NorthernHarrier

Forgot to mention I was up at the wee hours and running out at Cam-Rock on the mtn. bike trails. Ran with micro-spikes, could have, maybe should have used snowshoes as it was a trudge.  Seldom have what I call a bad run but this one sure wasn't real good. A little over 6 slow miles.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Hahahaha!  Sue, I hate you!    Actually, that's pretty awesome.  I am up for some friendly competition.  You should win since you're not a gimp, but I am very consistent with my miles, so let's go!

I may not be a gimp but I am an old lady!!!

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

If the land has been paid for by all, then all should be able to use it, ie. the State Forest system. However, since the Game Lands are paid for and maintained by hunters the Commission should have the right to limit usage of non paying people.

This makes sense.  It can't be about money (as some are saying) because the proposed permits are "free".  They don't possibly have the man power to enforce this enough to make money off of fines (unless the fines are like 1000 bucks).  It's the ban that I don't like.  I would be ok with paying $20 a year for a permit to use the land.  But I doubt the SGC will ever go for that because then it means that hikers/runners and other users have a say so.  They would not like that.

Mandy & Sue - you guys need to post your progress so we know how things are going.  Maybe there is a way to paste your bunny tracker thing in the dailies like once a week.