Trailer Trash

The answer is blowing in the THURSDAILY (Read 18 times)

XtremeTaper

Blustery here this morning. Hopefully it will calm down for an evening trail run. Back to gloves and layers though after short sleeves the past few days.

Yesterday, by evening time the storms had passed, so I packed up the Lady and we hit the trails of Coventry Woods for 7 hilly miles. Dog encounters included a chocolate lab, and a German wirehaired pointer. LadyB's kin. Spotted a few herds of deer as well. They are fun to watch romping through a meadow. Good run overall, and finished under an orange/crimson sky. Best 7 miler of the week in terms of time and on my more difficult 7 mile route. Still several minutes off my regular time for this loop but I am a WIP.

QOTD: Windy races? Any stick out in your craw?

Me. Yes. In my road marathon days I ran the Ocean Drive Marathon multiple times. I sort of liked the race for it's small field and easy logistics, but dang that point to point course up the Jersey coast through Wildwood seemed to always have gusty northeast winds right in your face. For the ENTIRE day. One year LOL I ran really well and set a 1 second PR. Really. One frickin' second. Crazy. I wanted that PR before taking on ultras and I made the move into ultras that fall (2007). A note about Ocean Drive is this year they have changed the route to out and back I guess after so many runner complaints. Sort of sad, as a flat course the wind was it's challenge and I believe that takes out the run along the Wildwood boardwalk.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

LB2

I slept this morning. We got a new mattress on Tuesday, and it really is comfortable. But, I wanted to hit a little road 6'er after work to see if I can see any turkeys in some fields along that course.

QOTD: It is quite windy today. But I think the windiest race I have ever run was the 2014 Pinhoti. It was upper 20's at the start, and the wind was howling early. By midday, it was in the lower 50's, and the wind was still blasting. I think it was overcast, but I never looked up to verify that. Once the sun went down, the wind picked up even more and the temps dropped down to the mid to upper 20's. Late into the night between miles 75 and 80 the wind was blowing so hard that I was actually scared some trees were going to come down on the trail or me. I hope it is cold like that this year, minus the wind. However, I will take cold and windy over hot and calm any day of the week.

LB2

AT-runner

Tim

Heading out for a long run. Wind starting to die down here. Then get to spend a couple of hours in a dental chair getting 2 crowns replaced. Can't wait!

QOTD:  2004 Mt Washington Road Race.  It was nice and balmy at the bottom and I was wearing shorts and a short sleeved shirt. 1/4 way up wind stated and kept getting stronger. At one point the guy in front of me blew over from a gust which were reported up to 70 mph.  Freezing rain by the time I got to the top which was totally in the clouds, so I never really saw the finish line, just heard the cow bell.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Queen of Nothing

Sue

No run.. Headed to Puerto Vallarta to visit the parents and my sister.  I was suppose to arrive Saturday but changed my ticket, so when I show up the old folks are going to be surprised.  Can't wait to warm up!

Qotd:  i think i ran CIM on a windy and rainy day.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

LB2

QOTD:  2004 Mt Washington Road Race.  It was nice and balmy at the bottom and I was wearing shorts and a short sleeved shirt. 1/4 way up wind stated and kept getting stronger. At one point the guy in front of me blew over from a gust which were reported up to 70 mph.  Freezing rain by the time I got to the top which was totally in the clouds, so I never really saw the finish line, just heard the cow bell.

At least you got to hear the cow bell.

LB2

NHLA

Wind blowing 20 mph to 60 mph gust. Waiting a little while before I run.

qotd  many tough races in the wind but the one I remember most was the hot chocolate 10k a few years ago.

You run down a big hill to the french broad river. The river was full of floating ice with a 30 mph wind blowing across the ice into my face.

It was so cold it hurt.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

You guys act like it's windy or something.  Actually it's quite annoying when it's windy all night like it was last night.  I don't sleep well with the wind gusts sounding like they are going to take down one of our large trees down on our house.

I will run tonight  distance tbd.  Back feeling mostly better.  Still contemplating what more I can do - chiropractor. and/or message.

AT: Have fun!

QOTD: I remember years ago a 5k in which we ran into the wind for the first half and then at the turn around it was like running downhill since the wind was now at our backs.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Getting ready to head to Valley Forge after lunch for some hills and trails.

qotd: Windy? The Ocean Drive Marathon isn't the only Jersey Shore race to have wind as a factor. This goes back to the First Jersey Shore Marathon in Asbury Park in 1972. It was an out and back up to Sandy Hook. The wind was so bad I could see it literally stopping runners in their tracks as they made the turn around. Many finishers had positive splits of 15-20 minutes or more including one friend who had run 2:52 at Boston yet had splits of 1:23 and 1:45. I was a little more cognizant of the wind effect and ran splits of 1:29 and 1:31.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                        05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

must be something in the air   We had 25-ish mph winds with gusts the around 40 yesterday- I opted for the treadmill and did hill repeats- was a pretty good workout, I cranked the treadmill to 15 degrees and "ran" .2 miles, cranked it back to 0 and ran fast (for me fast) for .2 miles, repeated 10 times- it amounted to around 1500' gain, not too bad for a tm

going to get 5-ish after work, should be near perfect conditions- low 40's with very little wind- finally!

qotd: mountain races frequently have wind to deal with at least on some sections; NH might recall this as well, but on the Beaverhead 55k they had a 5-ish mile section off trail, very difficult terrain to say the least, but I also hit in just as a mountain storm hit- very stiff winds with a mix of snow, sleet and rain- a memorable moment 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

AT-runner

Tim

At least you got to hear the cow bell.

Need more cowbell.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Gator eye

All the cold and wind this morning with about 3" of snow which made it feel cold and windy. So i heaed for the treadmill started out at a slow walk and kept it going nice and slow till I said to hell with it and sat down and drank coffee for a total of two miles.

QOtD: does the wind ever stop? I have never experienced this.

runtraildc

The winds here are just starting to die down, but still gusting 15-20 mph pretty consistently. So I went to yoga class instead of running, which was quite challenging today.  And I also fit in a quick rowing session.

qotd: Nothing comes to mind, which means I've suppressed the memory.  I hate running in the wind.

NorthernHarrier

We had our storm yesterday and our wind has died down here. Think you easterners are basking in it now. Temp about 30 and a few flurries intermixed with sunshine. Not really too bad of a day. Off early and soon heading to the Arb for maybe 7 trail miles.

Not sure whats going on at my place of employment. A guy that had moved into another position from where I am has been demoted and back to our little gaggle. I am supposed to train him tomorrow on what I'm doing. Hmmm! Since I am the most new guy it kinda makes me wonder if I'm training the guy that's gonna knock me out of my job. Of course they have no idea yet that I am quitting on April 14th but I would just like to slide thru until then drama free, Maybe I'll be retiring a few weeks earlier than planned.  Wouldn't be too bad I suppose.

NH might recall this as well, but on the Beaverhead 55k they had a 5-ish mile section off trail, very difficult terrain to say the least, but I also hit in just as a mountain storm hit- very stiff winds with a mix of snow, sleet and rain- a memorable moment 

I have had a lot of windy episodes but the one Wardwen mentioned above was memorable. That stretch was basically off trail thru the brutal scree section where we were trying to negotiate the rocks while moving along the divide with cliffs to our right dealing with that crosswind. I thought it was awesome (maybe a little psycho) but not for anyone a little squeamish. Not sure of the dropoff there Mike but close to a 1000' in spots maybe. What do you think?

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

definitely on the knife edge of some 1000' drop offs; a place you would prefer to be wind free  the precip didn't help either, made the rock slick!

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I think winter must be growing season for rocks. The Mt Joy - Mt Misery loop seems to have half again as many as I remember from last fall.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.