Trailer Trash

Mild Monday (Read 19 times)

LB2

SRD

QOTD: Western States Predictions??? (Feel free to do an alternate question. That was the only thing I could think of run-related today, and I don't want to talk about anything that is not run-related today.)

Women: Stephanie Howe (Edit: Kaci Licktieg is my prediction. Howe is not running. They just posted that on irunfar).

Men: Sage Canaday

LB2

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Morning all!  My 20-ish mile hike/run in the mountains on Saturday morphed into about a 13-ish mile snowshoe trip   despite a week of record setting high temps, the mountains still have a lot of snow

I got a short run in yesterday (5-ish) and my ankle felt pretty good on the uphills and levels, not so good on the down hills- it's pain right in front of the ankle where you flex your foot up or down, not sure what it is, but I'm going to have to stay off it for awhile longer I'm afraid

qotd: don't know the women very well, but would have to agree Sage is not a bad bet

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

XtremeTaper

Day off today as I am in the last part of taper... race week. I did run about 10 miles yesterday down at Fair Hill. Mix of paces, including some walking as it was just a goof off run. Warm and breezy out there yesterday.

QOTD: No idea. Maybe next year that race will be on my radar.

Queenie: Nice photos yesterday. Reminded me a few runs I on the Tahoe Rim trail when I was out crewing as WS.

Warden: I would literally scream if my trails were snow covered in June!

In dog beers, I've only had one.

LB2

Day off today as I am in the last part of taper... race week. I did run about 10 miles yesterday down at Fair Hill. Mix of paces, including some walking as it was just a goof off run. Warm and breezy out there yesterday.

How much walking do you incorporate in your training? I have noticed that when I do incorporate some walking on long runs like I did when I ran Pinhoti, I had very few lingering issues after the race. However, when I incorporate little or no running into my training, I tend to have lingering issues with my legs, actually Piriformis/Sciatica issues that seem to hit about a week or so after the run and hang around for a month or so. Last year, I ran virtually every step in training leading up to Cottonmouth. For whatever reason, I really had to hike a lot more of the first 40 miles than I anticipated, and I ran a lot more of the last 65 to 70 than anticipated (I did not anticipate another 65 to 70 after the first 40, either). Anyway, I had some serious lingering tightness in my piriformis and all down my leg that I associate with the piriformis pressing on my sciatic nerve. Intense stretching worked it out fairly quickly, but I think more walking would have helped condition some of those muscles better.

LB2

XtremeTaper

How much walking do you incorporate in your training? I have noticed that when I do incorporate some walking on long runs like I did when I ran Pinhoti, I had very few lingering issues after the race. However, when I incorporate little or no running into my training, I tend to have lingering issues with my legs, actually Piriformis/Sciatica issues that seem to hit about a week or so after the run and hang around for a month or so. Last year, I ran virtually every step in training leading up to Cottonmouth. For whatever reason, I really had to hike a lot more of the first 40 miles than I anticipated, and I ran a lot more of the last 65 to 70 than anticipated (I did not anticipate another 65 to 70 after the first 40, either). Anyway, I had some serious lingering tightness in my piriformis and all down my leg that I associate with the piriformis pressing on my sciatic nerve. Intense stretching worked it out fairly quickly, but I think more walking would have helped condition some of those muscles better.

I must confess, I do not train for walking. Now I might hike some during long runs but for this particular race I did not train on mountainous terrain thus most of my long runs were very runnable and any walk breaks I took were relatively short. I probably do walk 6-8 miles a week with the old springer but those are leisurely strolls not focused hikes like you might do in a race. The walking yesterday was mostly because we had several runners at various paces. I seem to do ok hiking during races though, not great but ok. It's never caused me an issue during the race, and afterwards I expect to be very sore regardless!

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Daydreamer1

Probably a rest day today. 36 miles over the past two days and 41 miles on the bike on Friday have left me feeling rather tired. If I do anything today it will be a easy walk/jog with DW or a light bike ride.

Warden - I like your mountains out there, but I think having that much snow on the trails at this time of the year would be a little depressing for me.

QOTD: Gunhild Swanson and Gary Knipling will both trot across the line side by side at 29:59:55. Last year she just made it across, but I believe he dropped.

I didn't see last year's 3rd place runner listed for this year. Jared Hazen was 20 years old and comes from PA.  Moved out west to run trails and did real well. I was also hoping to see him back here for Eastern States as well but haven't seen him on that roster either.

LB2

I didn't see last year's 3rd place runner listed for this year. Jared Hazen was 20 years old and comes from PA.  Moved out west to run trails and did real well. I was also hoping to see him back here for Eastern States as well but haven't seen him on that roster either.

In 2014, I saw Hazen come in at Rocky Raccoon in 13:57:17 for 3rd place in that race. At the time, he was 18. That was impressive. People say things about having the "advantage of youth", but when you start talking about 100 miles, maturity almost always trumps youth in my opinion.

I also think that he is the guy who auctioned off his first WSER buckle, which started a bunch of controversy sometime last year. It is his buckle; if he wants to auction it off, why should I care? But, why would anyone want to buy someone else's silver buckle from WSER? I'd rather work to get my own if I wanted one.

LB2

AT-runner

Tim

Happy Monday.  Busy weekend for us, but did get a nice run in the woods yesterday.  Helped out two lost MTB'ers.  One guy tried to argue with me when I was giving him directions. I said "stop being asshole and listen to me, and I'll get you to where your going". His friend apologized and said they were stressed out from being lost for so long.  I had to convince them that these were my local trails and I knew exactly where they were. They were about 5 miles from where they thought they were on their very poor map. Weekend warriors.

Queen - great pictures. Tahoe is on our bucket list.

QOTD:  Not sure about the men (Sage is a good pick), but a repeat win for Magda Boulet or a return to the top for Howe.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

runtraildc

Hi all, no running for me today and quite possibly none at all this week.  bleh.

MT- nice pics!  And unlike others, I like June snow in the mountains.

qotd:  I don't follow closely enough to make predictions, but I'll pick some favorites and keep an eye on things once the race starts.  And Gary K, is he running this year? Or are you daydreaming, DD?  He had a stroke earlier this year and was recovering, last I heard.

QOTD: Gunhild Swanson and Gary Knipling will both trot across the line side by side at 29:59:55. Last year she just made it across, but I believe he dropped.

Daydreamer1

I also think that he is the guy who auctioned off his first WSER buckle, which started a bunch of controversy sometime last year. It is his buckle; if he wants to auction it off, why should I care? But, why would anyone want to buy someone else's silver buckle from WSER? I'd rather work to get my own if I wanted one.

I didn't know this or at least I don't remember if I had seen it.  I guess there are several ways to look at it.  If he auctioned it off just for cash I'd take a dim view of that as it seems disrespectful to the race, at least to me. If on the other hand, he used the money for some type of charity purpose then that would change the way I would look at it.

Edit: I just looked it up. Looks like he auctioned it off just because he doesn't like medals.  I guess everyone is different, but I can see why some would think it was cocky. Kind of seems like the same attitude that a younger runner had a few years back when he apparently ran a few races that he publicly stated that he would never run again because there were other things to do. The quotes that I had seen then seemed like that guy was just a little too cocky as well.  Don't really remember which runner that was.

Daydreamer1

qotd:  I don't follow closely enough to make predictions, but I'll pick some favorites and keep an eye on things once the race starts.  And Gary K, is he running this year? Or are you daydreaming, DD?  He had a stroke earlier this year and was recovering, last I heard.

I don't follow ultra running enough to know who's doing well. So before I posted I actually looked up the list of runners and I saw his name was listed.  Maybe he recovered well enough to run.  Do they have a wait list or is this a race that once you're in you can't drop out and let someone else take your spot?

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Planning a short recovery run later today.

QOTD:  irunfar women's preview  I predict one of those not mentioned as podium contenders will make the podium and at least one other will place in the top 10. My choice is a local runner here, Maggie Guterl, whom they neglected to mention was 4th in the world 100k championships last year.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

muppy

Got in 5.3 miles Saturday and 6.1 miles last night.

QOTD I  have no idea, I've been too busy to keep up on anything lately.

AT-runner

Tim

QOTD I  have no idea, I've been too busy to keep up on anything lately.

I know you got the girl (she said yes), did you get the house?

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

NorthernHarrier

First day of a new job. So far, so good. This work thing is gonna cut into my lifestyle a little though.    Rest day from running and biking, I think. Just got home a little bit ago and my lawn is knee high so...

Interesting on that medal thing. I'm with LB on that. His medal anyway, WTF. People get their undies twisted up on the damndest things.  If you're into plaques, medals, trophies, and all that, that's great but after a gazillion races including back when I was fast and over 3 decades in business with tons of awards and plaques, I currently have none. All donated to the landfill. It's not what motivated me and I don't need any validation.

QOTD--No idea. Never followed any elites, they never followed me.