Trailer Trash

back to the grind Mondaily (Read 20 times)

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

not looking forward going back to work, did thoroughly enjoy hunting elk for four days straight though- I didn't harvest an elk, but got into them several times (could have shot of several cow elk if I would have had a cow permit) and had some outstanding hunts- saw an amazing meteorite streaking across a ridge line, found lion tracks crossing a pair of wolf tracks, saw a Pygmy owl, got startled by blue grouse on several occasions, while glassing watched a coyote mouse in a meadow, saw a Great Grey owl, was harassed by numerous red squirrels, chased around a big mule deer buck and got lots and lots of miles going up and down mountains with a 25 lb pack

qotd: how long until full retirement?  if it's a long way out do you have a plan?  if you're already fully retired- good on you   I'll be 59 in December and will fully retire as soon as I can get SS (age 62); I'm already getting a pension from game warden career and have socked a good amount of money in a 457k (and continue to do so)   hard to understand folks that say they wouldn't know what to do if retired 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Finally got out after dark last night to try out my new Black Diamond Sprinter headlamp. Of course I was so focused on how to work it that I also forgot to put on my reflective vest. I was amazed that I barely noticed I was wearing it in terms of comfort.

qotd: Been semi-retired for quite a while now and have no plans to fully retire. I enjoy working in the bookstore (Barnes & Noble) and as long as I continue to enjoy that, I'll continue to work part time.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

LB2

Normally, Monday's are an SRD. And today it was exactly that. I'll get my mileage goals for November by Wednesday. All I needed to do was surpass October's mileage. My running has been way off this year, but it is starting to get back on track, finally.

QOTD: I have a good ways to go before full retirement, but I don't know that I would ever fully retire. We have a pretty good retirement system here. I will probably leave here in about 10 years, at 58. But I will likely do something else. We bought a pretty big house three years ago, and the other one was getting close to being paid off. Financially, that may not have been the best move, but I knew that going into it. But when it comes to what we want as a family, I just want to make sure we can pay for it. If we can, we do it. If we can't, well, sometimes we do it anyway and figure it out later. Hahaha.

LB2

AT-runner

Tim

Going to do a few miles over lunch, on what is usually a SRD. Short week again for me. DW and I fly to Portland on Thursday for a few days to see oldest 2 kids.  This will be our Christmas visit with them since neither are coming home for Christmas.  They have a full weekend planned for us, so not sure if we'll even get a run in while we are away.

QOTD:  Not sure. Might depend on when any grand kids come along and which state they live.  Plan on 9 more years right now.  I'm sure I'll do something in retirement.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Sandy-2

SRD today, but I will do some light core stuff later.

qotd: I have a few years to go if I want to maximize the old-school traditional pension plan that we have.  I also have a 401k that is basically a pre-tax savings plan since the company doesn't match 401k deposits for "grandfathered people" on the old system.  I think I'll defer SS for a few years after I retire in order to maximize that as well.

MT, agree with your comment   " . . .  hard to understand folks that say they wouldn't know what to do if retired  . . . "

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

MT, agree with your comment   " . . .  hard to understand folks that say they wouldn't know what to do if retired  . . . "

Old runners would just hang out on running forums reliving their past triumphs.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

muppy

6.5 miles on the track doing speed work.

QOTD I'm  44 right now and realistically will probably retire in 25 years.  I am not counting on Social Security but have a 401(k) and some various mutual funds that I'm counting on.

Daydreamer1

Went out this morning and played hide and seek with Bambi. He hid real well and didn't wander my way at all .  Other than a few chickadees and Bluebirds I didn't see a stinking thing. No wolf tracks, no mountain lions or bobcats, not even a groundhog that hadn't hibernated yet, and certainly no coyotes although I'd have loved to bag one of those.  Still was a nice peaceful time in the woods, just a little too cold for me.

No running today.  Have a few things to do around the house then I need to catch a nap before going into work.

QOTD: Just had this conversation with DS and DW. DS accuses me of being a workaholic who will never stop working. Nothing could be further from the truth. Part of the reason I work more than I have to is so I can save enough to retire. I'd love to retire early but that won't happen.  I may be able to semi retire in 8-9 years which would be around age 60. The major problem is that DW is about 8 years older then me so she will retire much sooner and that will cause our income to drop resulting in less going into retirement savings. If I have to wait until 67 to retire I'll have 15 more years to work .  We both contribute to our 403bs, Roth IRAs , I to my HSA and then have a brokerage account with some other investments that are from after tax monies. I have it set up that way so we have will have income that is balanced in regards to taxes. The biggest thing stopping me from semi-retiring at 59 1/2 is the extreme cost of health insurance. If I can figure that out I may be able to only work part time from 59-60 to 67.

If I have enough income to live off of I could easily do a full retirement. I'm sure I'd have no problems finding some trail work to do and other stuff to volunteer at.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Got in 1.5 this morning... whatever...really just needed to get the dogs out there to do their thing because they will be shut in the house all morning.  I ran 21 miles with the group yesterday.  No rain but lot's of water crossing.  My toes never looked so clean.  It should of been a good run but I was in a shitty  mood, hadn't slept well, strapped to Earl and on my period!   Thinking of down grading my coming 50K to the 30K.  A guy in the group who is running the 30K said he's bringing a cooler of beer to wait for the 50Kers to finish.  Do I really need anymore than that to convince me.

QOTD:  My plan is to retire the end of 12/31/17.  We plan to travel for a year or so and then find a new place to live.  Fully retired..hmmm I don't know about that.  I may wouldn't mind getting a p-time job to pay for the health insurance...maybe a a Running Store...or a bar. 

MT:  Brrhh!

LB:  Your comment yesterday about the girl who tried to look more intelligent by using big words incorrectly reminds me of the Living Color skit where the guy imprison would use large words  incorrectly to impress people. 

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I hate to think I would spend more time on the forums! 

Old runners would just hang out on running forums reliving their past triumphs.

LB2

LB:  Your comment yesterday about the girl who tried to look more intelligent by using big words incorrectly reminds me of the Living Color skit where the guy imprison would use large words  incorrectly to impress people. 

I know the skit. And that makes it difficult for me to keep it together at times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAguP-zY2AA

LB2

Queen of Nothing

Sue

that's where I learned the term suppository!

I know the skit. And that makes it difficult for me to keep it together at times.

XtremeTaper

I will hit the planet of fitness this evening for some scowling stationary cycling, strength and stretching. After a few decent, a few blah/meh, but mostly creaky runs last week I've decided to shut down running again for at least 5 days, maybe 1-2 weeks. While I can run with minimal pain this crap around my knee ain't getting better. Not worse either. Just not better. I did get in 13.5 on Friday around Green Lane Lake, and 7.5 yesterday at French Creek. I suppose a 42 mile "easy" week really isn't good for injury recovery.

Yesterday's run was sort of a downer as I typically do the Dirty Bird Trail race the Sunday after Thanksgiving, but just am not in the mood or shape to race/run hard. My run yesterday criss-crossed the mid-pack/back of the pack runners of the race a few times and surprise there were 2 runners with gsp's on leash. The Lady felt that was a poor way to trail run!

Played internet doctor today and am pretty confident I have quadriceps tendonitis/tendonosis. I am going to hit it hard with vitamin I and various rolling/self massage things this week.

QOTD: Hopefully 7 years. I am on the 7 year plan, sort of like my 7 mile plan. I need to figure out how to afford being a snowbird. I generally like this part of the country but north central FL for 3 months in the winter would be pretty good. Golf, dry trails, and comfortable weather. But summer down there.. no thanks.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

AT-runner

Tim

When I read you comment about your student, all I could think was:

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and weary,

Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore— ...

...Tell me what thy lordly name is on the Night’s Plutonian shore!”

Quoth the Raven “Nevermore.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

LB2

When I read you comment about your student, all I could think was:

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and weary,

Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore— ...

...Tell me what thy lordly name is on the Night’s Plutonian shore!”

Quoth the Raven “Nevermore.

Yes, Edgar Allan Hoe. I know that is a terrible thing to say, but it was the first thing that popped in my mind when I read "Nevermore" in that essay. She has improved since that essay, though.

LB2