Trailer Trash

RR--Vasa 25k no pictures--- (Read 21 times)

Queen of Nothing

Sue

So visiting folks in Traverse City, MI so signed up to run the Vasa 25k.  So now I am herre and family wants me to come and eat and drink here or go and eat and drink there.  On top of it, I'm feelings just a bit weird...little sore throat.. A cold??? My little bro bought some property to build on and wanted me to come see it on the day of the race so me being me I was ready to blow off this race.   It was only $29 bucks sooo... Hmm let me check how long it took me to run 5 years ago?  2 hours 20 minutes..oh it's only 15 miles not the 18 that was in my head so I went for it.

started at 9 am so ummm nice sleeping in.  Drove to the race, got my bib and then headed to the indoor shelter to use restrooms.  As normal the woman's line was long and mens no existance. When I finally got inside we were using 1 of the two stalls.  Seems the other two would not flush.  So i cut the line and peed umm it's a trail run haven't you gals ever used an out house?

9 am race starts...running in the cold (36 degrees) (especially after chewing peppermint gum) is like running at 5,000 feet.   I could not catch my breath.  This lasted until around 2.5 miles, then my breathing chilled.  The race director let us know if we were on a single track we were off the race course, we were probably having fun, but off the course.   So just running along at a good clip when I see a gu packet on the ground...pass.  Then another... Pass.  Around the fifth gu packet on the ground I just couldn't ignore anymore.  Last weekend was a MTBike race  so now I am stopping and scooping up semi empty dirty packets.  I think the MT Bikers voted for Hillary and assumed someone else would pick up their trash for them. .  It was all good until around 6 miles when I felt a pain going from my knee to my groin.  Yes I thought about Mandy, but not in that way.   I Think it was caused by my stopping and picking up shit.  At this point my hands were full anyways.  I started passing trash.

So Michigan has very runnable hills. So around mile ten I was like my legs are getting tired.  My quads are sore because I am actually running..aka picking up my legs.   No "power hikes!" There has been a young girl (under 25) running near me and oassing occasionally and a group of 4 guys.  Eventually the guys left us around 12 miles.  I was thinking about running in Utah hoe the rocks were tacky and if not careful your feet stuck to them......and then I fell. 

So me and young girl are hitting 14 mile and I pull away and cross the finish line to ummmm nothing.  Gee even the folks there didn't clap and say nice job.  Two of the four guys I had ran with briefly told me nice job.  A kid handed me a glass and I headed to the car.  I looked at the glass and it said age group winner.  Geez he could of told me at least.  

I was 30 out of 61.  Seventh female of 31. And first in my age group out of well just me so ummm also last and also smack dab in the middle!

I'm a bit sore and stiff so I ran.  Another good days in the woods.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

runtraildc

Funny RR-- thanks, Queen.  It's the midwest, land of the stoics. You finished the race-- no need to have a big hoopla at the finish with lots of clapping and noise. I'm betting the winner just got a chin nod and maybe a 'good job'. And congrats on finishing.

AT-runner

Tim

Now the important question, how was your brother's property?

Nice job. I'm sure you were following closely to those 4 guys and taking in the views.

Lol about Midwest laid back race attitude. I ran the Iowa State Triathlon in 1987 and was the first person out of the water and no one said a thing. I thought I had done something wrong. There was no "nice job", "looking great", "way to go", only got a "bikes are over there".

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Daydreamer1

Hmmm. I was just telling DW this morning that we need to make a run to MI to get some Hillbilly Bread. We love the stuff and can't get it here anymore.  Maybe I should have come out for a race .   That is nice up in that area. I can't imagine a race without cow bells though.

Congrats on the age group win!!!!!!

NHLA

Congrats!! Way to go.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

See, being old has its perks! You won! And lost...but you won!

Thanks for sharing.  And on behalf of all of us at Trailer Trash....lots of applause, hootin' n hollerin.....

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

great job Queen!  nice to be able to combine a family visit with a race 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

XtremeTaper

Wow, way to kick some ass out there Queenies. Sounds like those Michiganlanders are more laid back then you Californians. LOL. WTF with the trash and no single track though?! Hope that was a pint size glass you won.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Sandy-2

Way to go QoN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Sounds like a GU'd day all around. Yeah, us midwesterners (I grew up in IL) are a taciturn bunch.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

muppy

Great job Queen,  dfl and 1st in age group! A. Oh thank you for picking up the trash. I pick it up when I run and curse whomever I think dropped it, damn lazy mountain bikers!