Trailer Trash

the weekender (Read 23 times)

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

got 4.5 miles with Tiny Elvis yesterday evening; ~ 8-10" of new snow required breaking out my little snowshoes- Tiny E doesn't believe in snowshoes 

hitting the gym sometime this morning, will get 3-4 miles this afternoon, tomorrow something longer

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Windy as hell this morning, but at least no snow.  Only got 12 in.  Will go out for 8 more later.

QOTW:  What weather do you dread the worst during runs?  Wind, cold, rain, sleet, snow, slush, mud, heat, humidity, other?

For me I think it has to be heat + humidity.  Most other conditions I can adjust for, if I'm smart about it, which is not always the case.  Heat and humidity you just have to grind through it.  On the flip side, when it's super cold and windy, the man bits freeze.  That's not good either - still working on a solution for that one.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

Gator eye

Nothin today. Gonna do a half on a rail trail tomorrow.

QOTD: wind, I can stand just about any temp but a hard wind really sucks

Bert- I got a small square of wool fabric that I put down the front to protect mini-me from the cold. I tuck it inand drape it over the top of the waist band of compression shorts to keep everything in place

AT-runner

Tim

Cold and windy here, too.  24 degrees with strong wind at the start, and I unfortunately, dressed for the 35 degree weather that my computer said it was.  I was pretty cold most of the run.  Thing we ended with 6-7 and that was my limit.

No headaches or neck pain in 2-3 days but still get the feeling like a monkey is on my back at times and I need a nap. Hopefully on the right trail.  I've had 2 phone consultations with a Lyme doctor, and he's hopeful, so I'm hopeful.

Bert-o - Nice mileage, and don't blame me for twisting your arm for the Montour 24 hour, it was a group effort.    You're mileage looks great and I can't wait to see you pass me over and over on that loop.  Hopefully I can rest enough to help you in the later hours. Hours 20-24 seem to be my strong suit in these timed thingies.  As far as man parts, this might be what you need.

Warden - man, can't really complain about our winter with the snow load you guys are getting.

Gator -  Good luck in the 1/2.

Hope NH has good weather for his race.  Any other racers this weekend.

QOTD:  Heat and humidity really slow me down, but the only thing that keeps me off the trails is lightning and high winds. We get a lot of blow-downs on my trails, and I've been out there 2 times when trees have fallen within ear shot. I try to run early in the day in the summer to avoid thunder storm conditions. 

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

bert-o, besides the willy warmer , I've had good luck w/ merino windblocker boxers- they have a windproof panel built into them

not as sexy as the willy warmer though

qotd: high heat I suffer (thankfully not much in the way of humidity); strong winds and cold come in at a close second- I've run in -10F-ish temps with no wind  and sun and it's not too bad, conversely runs with 20 degrees and 30 mph winds have been agonizing

yesterday's snowshoe outing

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Going to get out for a few miles soon.

AT: Sorry for your icy run, but thanks for the heads up on the wind. I might bring gloves along today 

BTW, the Peter Heater/Willy Warmer looks eerily similar to the Weenie Beanie I had suggested to Jamie a while ago. Maybe he got a patent on it.

But more seriously, I’d think thin soft neoprene might be more wind resistant, if the pants are not the wind proof kind.

QOTD: cold rain, temps in the 30’s or 40’s is my worst dread. I don’t mind the heat, I actually love it, even when it’s somewhat humid. I usually adjust to heat quickly.

Run for fun.

AT-runner

Tim

BTW, the Peter Heater/Willy Warmer looks eerily similar to the Weenie Beanie I had suggested to Jamie a while ago. Maybe he got a patent on it.

But more seriously, I’d think thin soft neoprene might be more wind resistant, if the pants are not the wind proof kind.

What I remember about that thread, was you and Queen posted more responses than the men. 

runtraildc

Got in just under 6 this mornign with the group. It would have been more, but the route passed too close to my house and I was really hungry.

qotd: Wind. I just hate that howling wind, which we've had a lot of this spring. And when it comes after a hard rain, I am leery about running in our old woods here. I know my odds at getting hit by a car are much higher, but I worry about trees coming down on me much more. 

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Satyrday is generally a rest day...slated for 25 out and back alobg the river tomorrow.

Qotd:  wind...but seriously I am truely blessed weatherwise where I live.

Berto: my suggestion was going to be a sock, childrens or infants depending on size  but that Willy Warmer looks pretty nice since it akso takes care of the boys in back.

Warden: What's that thing Tiny-E is dragging?  Don't tell me leashed the beast!

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

yup a leash; I have him drag the leash around so I can grab it quickly if need be- don't meet a ton a folks, but enough that I want to be able to get ahold of him

strength trained this morning and got 4 miles in with Tiny E this afternoon- with a twist, I loaded up my new hunting pack with a 40 lb sandbag- Tiny E refused to carry it  

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Sandy-2

Did 13 this morning. Started out warm and humid, ended up cool and humid. I think the temp went from 70s to low 60s before we finished. Felt good.

No need for the willy warmer down here.

qotd: I hate heat, worse when it’s also humid. You’ll hear me whining soon.

tbd.

GC100k

A few hours out on the AT today.

QOTD: Hate cold, rain, dark. Don't mind heat and humidity, but it's kinda nice to now live in a place that never gets hot and i can run in the middle of the day in the summer.

AT-runner

Tim

In response to Friday

Heading out to run a few easy miles (or maybe a walk) on the AT.

Watching Masters later.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Why is a big belly only cute on a baby? 

In response to Friday

Heading out to run a few easy miles (or maybe a walk) on the AT.

Watching Masters later.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Lol, Peter Heater.  No such things needed around here most of the time.  Lots of rain recently, now we seem to be setting nicely into spring.

QOTD: heat and humidity do me in.  After that, wind would be my next least favorite.  Can't really say how I'd do in extreme cold.  But I think I'd still prefer it to heat, with the right clothing.

I missed out on the taco discussion but I recall seeing that Bert-o definitely does tacos right.  Now I want tacos, dammit.

I did the Napa Valley 50k yesterday.  Whew, what a beast.  7500' elevation gain, rooty, rocky, wet, muddy, with a little bouldering for fun.  Finished in 8:53 (and I was far from last!).  It had been raining for almost two days beforehand but stopped that morning.  So the trails were a little slick but the terrain was lovely and green and flowers were blooming.  Highly recommend it!

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR