Trailer Trash

Beaverhead 55k / Missoula Marathon RR (Read 19 times)

Spent the weekend in ID and MT doing some running.  Here is my weekend report.

First, the backstory: A friend who is doing marathons in all 50 states wanted to do her 50th marathon on her 50th birthday in a new state for her, so she picked the Missoula Marathon.  As a loyal friend who likes trails, I looked around for a trail race nearby and found the Beaverhead 55k.  So, for some reason, I decided to do both.  And for some reason, few other friends thought that sounded like a fine idea, and plans were made (Queen: Scrapster is a friend of a friend who was in on this loony idea, so I met her in person over the weekend).

It was complicated but surprisingly, everything worked as planned. Met up with 3 friends at the Missoula airport on Friday and we drove to Salmon, ID in time for the Beaverhead 55k packet pick-up. Caught the pre-race shuttle at 4:40 am on Saturday, which took us up to the start at Lehmi Pass, ID, at 8000' elevation. I think I remember the first half of the race was mostly nice single-track, up and down, through trees, although the elevation made it a little hard for this flatlander to breathe. Things got more challenging during the second half, where the race peaked at 10,000 and included several miles of scree, cliff-side trails, and seemingly endless peaks. I actually forgot that I could not breathe because I was so intent on not falling off the continental divide.  It was the hardest but most spectacular running I have ever done. Finished in 11:18. Two of my friends finished, one dropped early.

Then we got a little sleep before hopping in the car at 12:30 am on Sunday to drive back to Missoula for the 4:15 am shuttle to the Missoula Marathon start. Met the 50th birthday friend there (who was too sensible to join in the Beaverhead craziness). Temps were actually cool at the start and "only" got up to around 90 on Sunday, so not quite as dire as predicted. It was a mostly flat course and the first half was a little boring but the second half was nice, with trees, some shade, and lots of kind Missoulians offering fruit, ice, and sprinklers to keep runners cool. The friend who dropped on Saturday finished the marathon, one friend skipped the marathon, two of us did both, and the birthday girl finished in fine style. I did it in 5:36. Legs were ready to fall off and I have a few mosquito bites but otherwise, no real complaints.

Some pics:

This is only pic I took during the Missoula Marathon:

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

AT-runner

Tim

Nice weekend's worth of work. How were the temperatures for you up in the mountains?

If you had fallen, you wouldn't want to fall down the east side or you would end up in the wrong ocean and a long way from home.

DW and I had a chance to run the continental divide in Wyoming a few years ago. I'd love to see more of it.

Nice pictures. Thanks for sharing. Did Katie make both days?

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

That looks breathtaking in more ways than one. And who needs sleep. I can't sleep much the night before a race anyway.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

LB2

Wow. That is one heck of a weekend.

I think I need to add to that comment above. Whenever I see someone do something that find impressive and their training stuff is public, I take a look at it. I was impressed, so I thought, "I wonder what the last few months have looked like, training wise?" I am not a stalker, but the 55K followed by the marathon the next day is impressive. A weekend like that would be the same as my biggest weekend prior to running a 100 mile race, not that I am an expert at what to do and what not to do. I'm just saying that for me, a 60+ mile weekend is big. Anyway, what I was most impressed by is that your mileage from April to now has not been much more than any normal runner who wouldn't be thinking of doing what you did last weekend. And it is a testament to the cumulative effect of consistent running and understanding his/her limits for a given event based on his/her training volume. I think about this stuff a lot. I think people can do a lot more with less mileage than they think they can if they understand how to run it.That is truly impressive. Also, it settles me down because I am having a hard time holding back from higher mileage early to avoid burning out.

So, here is a question I'd like to get your thoughts on:

1. How did you feel about your training over the past few months going into this; did you feel like you would be able to do what you set out to do or were your thinking it was going to be a total disaster?

LB2

AT -- yes, if I had to tuck and roll, going to the left would have been wiser.  It was hotter than I expected up on the ridge.  Slathered on sunscreen frequently and stuffed snow under my hat and in my pack and grabbed a Rocky mountain snow cone every time I passed a pile of snow.  At one point, saw (and heard) a thunderstorm on the next ridge which appeared to be blowing towards us.  Good motivation to keep hustling and get down off the mountain.  Apparently it passed to the south without hitting any runners but it was sort of an ominous moment.  MTA: Yes, Scrapster did both races like me.

LB -- good questions.  I'm of the "less is more" school of running.  I take at least two rest days every week.  My training peaked in the weeks before Lake Sonoma 50 in April, but even then, I never did more than mid-50s per week.  I think I have a pretty solid base so ramping up a bit here or there is not a big deal and I've never been injured (knocks on wood).  Although I've never done a double like last weekend before, I didn't doubt that I would finish.  Someone who wanted to be competitive or had more ambitious time goals would probably run more than I do, but I'm not that person.   If I were to change one thing, I'd add strength training since I think I'd benefit from being stronger.  (I keep saying I'll do that, and one of these days maybe I will.)  Crazy mileage is not for me... if I didn't get injured, I'd burn out.  But, everyone is an experiment of one, and YMMV, as they say.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Wowsers!    NH and I did the Beaverhead a couple years back and I can assure you neither of us was in any shape to finish a marathon the next day.

For anyone looking for a challenging, picturesque race- the Beaverhead 55k should be on you list.

I leave with GatsbyBird in her chair  

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

XtremeTaper

That's a big weekend, and some great running. Congrats on not falling off a cliff too! You look pretty happy up there on the mountain, and no offense to Warden, but we were getting kind of sick of seeing his mug out there in the big mountain scenery. LOL. That's a great photo. Besides doing the double it seems like it was a sleep deprivation weekend as well. Congrats, and hope you are recovering well.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

NorthernHarrier

Nice job!  I was too shot after that one to even have a beer.   Not sure how you did both with the added late night driving but I too bow to you.  What's next? 

Daydreamer1

Good job!!   Especially with coming from the lowlands and doing it at those elevations.

There's no way I could have come close to finishing something like that  on that little sleep and going right to the elevation.  Always find it interesting how elevation affects people differently.

runtraildc

Wow- congratulations! I'm particularly impressed you did this without much (any?) time to adjust to the elevation.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Nice job Gatsby!!!! Especially adter what NH and Warden said..a 11 hour 30K 55K tells me it was $ucking hard!!! Then no sleep and a street marathon...wow just frigging wow!!!

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

no 30k, 55k- but yes- a very hard 55k 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Whoops!!  Even more badass!!!

no 30k, 55k- but yes- a very hard 55k 

Thanks everyone!

One more pic from the race photographer.

Okay, enough about me.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

WOW aposolutely beautiful!!! 

Thanks everyone!

One more pic from the race photographer.

Okay, enough about me.