Trailer Trash

Shenandoah National Forest Trail Runs (Read 21 times)

Thinking about taking a running vacation this fall for a few days in mid October in the Shenandoah National Forest in Virginia.  Catch the fall colors, and do some trail running for fun (not races).  Anyone ever trail run in that area and have any good trail recommendations?  I know there are hundreds of miles of trails.  I suppose I could get me a map, and just pick a few and go explore.  I guess I prefer a loop route.  I haven't used Mr. Google yet, thought I'd reach out here first.

Take Charge. Train Harder. Suck Less. No Excuses.

bagge_pants

If you like the social l aspect of your trail runs you can do some sections on the AT as it goes through the entirety of the park. 

This would suit you well if you're doing a training run for something like an ultra on similar terrain...

The Roller Coaster, Va.

To say that any section of the Appalachian Trail in Northern Virginia is “undiscovered” is a bit of a stretch. “There’s no unpopular section of the trail in this day and age, but certain pieces aren’t necessarily in the limelight like the more well-known destinations,” says Bob Sickley, Mid-Atlantic trail resource manager for the Appalachian Trail Conservancy. The Roller Coaster, a 13.5-mile length of trail packed with non-stop ups and downs, is one of those under-appreciated stretches of trail. Consider it the “overshadowed little brother” to the A.T. inside nearby Shenandoah National Park. The Roller Coaster is the A.T.’s swan song in Virginia, offering the last memorable piece of trail before reaching the “psychological half-way point” at Harper’s Ferry, W.Va. Known for its constant elevation change, you’ll climb more than a dozen significant hills for a total of 5,000 feet of gain as you make your way toward West Virginia. The tread is rocky, and the climbing is short but steep without a switchback in sight thanks to an unusually narrow right of way for the trail.

The Roller Coaster is a hell of a workout, and a great place to test your mettle if you’re just breaking into backpacking. You’ll also get to enjoy the primo view of Shenandoah Valley to the west from Raven Rock, aka Crescent Rock.

Logistics: Pick up the A.T. at Ashby Gap, where the trail crosses Route 50 and head north towards the Blackburn Trail Center. Prepare yourself for nearly constant ups and downs with 200-500 feet of elevation for each hill. The section offers a no-brainer overnight opportunity, thanks to the Bears Den Trail Center, a popular hiker hostel located 100 yards off the trail roughly half way through the Roller Coaster.

from - http://www.blueridgeoutdoors.com/go-outside/hiking/undiscovered-hikes-on-the-appalachian-trail/

Also, Hawksbill Peak in the park is nice little climb to the top, off the Appalachian Trail. 

I'd also look into the side trails off the main drag so to speak, the Skyline Drive. There are ones that lead to waterfalls but maybe in Fall they'd be dry.

AT-runner

Tim

I've only been around the Skyland area while camping. We did a few runs from there. Very beautiful in the fall. Can get crowded on weekends.

Here's a page to several maps in the Shenandoah.

Sounds like fun. Are you planning on camping?

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Thanks for the feedback!

Take Charge. Train Harder. Suck Less. No Excuses.

runtraildc

Hi Waldo,

Her'es another resource you may find helpful.  Check out the Virginia Happy Trails Running Club (VHTRC) if you're not already familiar with them.  They have a trails section on their website with a pretty large Shenandoah section.  Lots of loops and broken down by park districts.

Have fun!