Trailer Trash

Grand Canyon Proposed Development (Read 34 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/08/140814-grand-canyon-national-park-threats-developments/

I have never been to the Grand Canyon, but I hope to go someday soon. Anyway, I know a lot of you are blessed with being able to go there or even live near there so I thought I would post this here and see what you think. Honestly, IMO I don't like the sound of it at all as it sounds like it is going to ruin what we love best about nature and the Grand Canyon.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Birdwell

If the Navajo Nation approves it, I'd be totally on board with that plan for a number of reasons.

It's outside the national park boundaries and located entirely within the borders of the Navajo Nation. They should be allowed to do what they wish with there land. They desperately need jobs and revenue on the reservation. It is the poorest place I have ever been to. The poverty there is astounding. With the pending cut backs at Navajo Generating Station, this could provide some reliable jobs and revenue for the Navajo people.

Where they're talking about developing is a very remote, desolate place. It's 25 miles upstream (and completely and totally out of site) from the Grand Canyon National Park village, but worlds away. Obviously any development would impact the land, but it won't change what the Grand Canyon is or take away from it's grandeur and majesty. Europe has shown that natural landmarks can be developed in a responsible way to improve access for all people.

Again, for me the biggest issue is if the Navajo Nation wants it, they should be able to have it. (I have very strong feelings about the state of the Navajo Nation, having spent years and years working there among the great people that make up that proud Nation)

(Also, I don't even think that area is technically "the Grand Canyon". It's the Confluence. It's right smack in the middle between Marble Canyon and Grand Canyon)

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

If the Navajo Nation approves it, I'd be totally on board with that plan for a number of reasons.

It's outside the national park boundaries and located entirely within the borders of the Navajo Nation. They should be allowed to do what they wish with there land. They desperately need jobs and revenue on the reservation. It is the poorest place I have ever been to. The poverty there is astounding. With the pending cut backs at Navajo Generating Station, this could provide some reliable jobs and revenue for the Navajo people.

Where they're talking about developing is a very remote, desolate place. It's 25 miles upstream (and completely and totally out of site) from the Grand Canyon National Park village, but worlds away. Obviously any development would impact the land, but it won't change what the Grand Canyon is or take away from it's grandeur and majesty. Europe has shown that natural landmarks can be developed in a responsible way to improve access for all people.

Again, for me the biggest issue is if the Navajo Nation wants it, they should be able to have it. (I have very strong feelings about the state of the Navajo Nation, having spent years and years working there among the great people that make up that proud Nation)

(Also, I don't even think that area is technically "the Grand Canyon". It's the Confluence. It's right smack in the middle between Marble Canyon and Grand Canyon)

As someone who worked and traveled on the Navajo Nation for 6 years I mostly agree with what you're saying.

You people have issues 

Sandy-2

I agree that it should be up to the Navajo Nation to decide the fate of this project.

But it could set up a new triangular SR2ER2NR2SR. 

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL