Trailer Trash

Research - Doubt cast on BF running style. (Read 57 times)

AT-runner

Tim

I saw some of this last week, but nice article in NY Times with current research on "Barefoot- style running".

Is Barefoot-Style Running Best? New Studies Cast Doubt

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

sugnim

My dog runs barefoot all the time.  She has way less injuries than I do, and she even has more feet!  Still, my shoes are way cooler than her shoes are, and that is a scientifically proven fact.

dpc3

Oh sweet Jesus, you better hope you don't get the boot for inciting a riot! We had to find a new forum because some folks which resulted in ban hammers all around.

AT-runner

Tim

Oh sweet Jesus, you better hope you don't get the boot for inciting a riot! We had to find a new forum because some folks which resulted in ban hammers all around.

No pantie raids this time, just scientific evidence. Big grin

The stuff about forefoot vs heel strike is pretty interesting.

Brian Runner

I'll keep this study in mind if they ever hold the Hyner View Trail Challenge on a treadmill.

XtremeTaper

Here is the crux of the matter:

Dr. Gruber agrees. “I always recommend that runners run the way that is most natural and comfortable for them,” she says. “Each runner runs a certain way for a reason, likely because of the way they were physically built. Unless there is some indication that you should change things, such as repeated injury, do not mess with that plan.”

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Daydreamer1

I'll keep this study in mind if they ever hold the Hyner View Trail Challenge on a treadmill.

Or you could just run it the way this guy did.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DSRGYhcNLI

AT-runner

Tim

Here is the crux of the matter:

Dr. Gruber agrees. “I always recommend that runners run the way that is most natural and comfortable for them,” 

+1 -  Natural and comfortable

moonlightrunner

At the risk of not conforming....kinda like the leash less dog thing...I run in vffs exclusively and have for 5 ....maybe 6 years. They work really well for me. I m not plagued by  chronic itbs. But...all my trails are in the woods...mostly soft. I used them once for a race (dad devils lake) and found them inadequate for rocky trails. You all may laugh at them...but for my purposes they work. Not sure what I would wear if I lived where most of u do.  As for the scientific evidence...they test on a treadmill...I think it does not translate well to trail running.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

Trail Monster

Interesting but I didn't like that they only followed people switching types of shoes for 10 weeks. It took me at least that long to go to my zero drops and I'm still not fully comfortable in the Delilahs (minimalist zero drop). I think following people who are trying to change their gait/stride/biomechanics is a good way to show higher injury. Once the change is made though then it is time to see if it was for the better or not. I bet if people were forced to switch to a different brand or type of shoe and then had their efficiency checked 6 months later most of them would be just as efficient as before because they would have compensated for the changes. Neurological and neuromuscular changes take time. They don't happen overnight and studies need to follow a larger pool for a longer period of time to be real science IMHO.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop