Trailer Trash

Windsday (Read 18 times)

LB2

It was a little breezy this morning. I think rest and getting back on a solidly, clean diet was the key to success this morning. I ran an easy 7 miles in the dark. I stayed on the open trails. I have had too many pictures sent to me with very large rattlesnakes in them the last two days, and I need to change the batteries in my head lamp before I go through that wooded section in the dark again, better safe than sorry.

QOTD: How often do you have encounters with snakes while running?

Rarely. I have had a few close calls with cottonmouths, but most of the snakes I see are black or blue runners. Although, I do see quite a few copperheads. I haven't come across any rattlers. Believe it or not, I think that wild hogs have really put a dent in the snake population around here. I used to hunt a real swampy ranch every spring and saw snakes on almost every hunt. Hogs moved in, and after about a two seasons, I never saw another snake. I am sure they were still around, but the ones that survived stayed out of sight.

LB2

NHLA

Just watching it rain.

Qotd we have all the poisonous snakes in USA here.See them all the time..

There is an island in Lake lure. When they damned up and flooded the area to make the lake tons of snakes were stranded on the island. They offered a large reward for anyone to get rid of them so they could build homes. Many tried but failed till a farmer turned his pigs loose on the island. They ate them all. The pigs got fat and the farmer got money.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Tiny E and I got 3-ish miles in early, despite the smoke coming back- currently Unhealthy for Sensitive Groups, but will worsen throughout the day. We've now exceeded the one million acre mark burned with still no relief in sight

qotd: no snake worries here (Eastern Montana has Prairie rattlers though)

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

AT-runner

Tim

Rain here as well. Had a tornado in the area yesterday. We had many branches and 1 tree down, but only lost power when they took us offline to fix a transformer. Over 2000 still without power in the area. That was some thunderstorm.

No run today.

Tiny E and I got 3-ish miles in early, despite the smoke coming back- currently Unhealthy for Sensitive Groups, but will worsen throughout the day. We've now exceeded the one million acre mark burned with still no relief in sight

I'm not sure if we'll get to see any of Glacier. Looks pretty bad, and fires in Oregon as well on our route. 

QOTD:  I've seen 3 or 4 rattlers this year, a bunch of black snakes and 1 copper head (that I saw).  The copperheads are the ones that worry me, since they don't warn you like the rattlers.  I stepped on a rattler last year while running. It was stretched out on the trail and coiled up right away. I yelled like a little girl.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Expect I'll skip intervals with my club and run easy later today.

qotd: Twice in races I've almost trod on black snakes. Otherwise I only see the occasional garter snake as road kill.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Run at the gym last night.  Uneventful.   And boring.  Not sure what I will run tonight.

QOTD: No snakes on any runs but as our family was driving away from the trailhead on Monday down the mountain, we saw a vehicle coming the opposite direction stopped on their side with hazards on.  DW asked if we should stop.  I quickly learned that they were not stranded but rather they were gawking at a rattler crossing the road.  It was on my side and I almost ran over it.  I swerved slightly and missed it but almost hit the stopped vehicle....  I am glad we did not see any of those on the hike as I would have been carrying DD and possibly DW down the mountain.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Happy Birthday Tim!!!! 

and Anniversary!!!! 

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

AT-runner

Tim

Happy Birthday Tim!!!! 

and Anniversary!!!! 

Thank you.

I'm working all day to celebrate. Dinner tonight with DW for our 31st.

We're calling it our Ultra anniversary, as in 50k = 31 miles.

Daydreamer1

Woke up to the sound of rain and it's been drizzling ever since. Just enough to mess things up for doing much outside.  Might do a run/walk if things clear up otherwise another elliptical session.  I have no motivation to run anyway .

LB2 - How big is very large down there?

Happy birthday and anniversary Tim.

QOTD:  Haven't seen one in quite awhile. Now I'm jinxed. Probably start seeing a bunch of them once hunting season rolls around.  What I have seen have been small garter snakes or black snakes. Can't remember when I've last seen a rattler or possible copper head on the trails.

Way back in '98 or'99 I saw a huge rattler while biking. I was riding back a road to a communication tower and it was laying across the trail with it's head in the bushes. His tail ended almost on the opposite side where the ruts were from the vehicles driving. I'd say about 8 foot of clear ground and he took up all but about 2 foot of that and I didn't try to see where it's head actually was. When he wasn't interested in moving I turned around and meekly went back the way I came. Something that big is definitely extremely rare up here.  That was in the days before I even though of owning a cell phone so no pictures which I really wish I had.

Sandy-2

Happy Anniversary and Birthday Tim and Ms AT.

Slept in this morning, but mostly due to a bunch of lightening and thunder claps. Guilt-free snoozing.  Today I'm working from home since we are having new carpet installed.  We ordered it two weeks ago and had nothing to do with flooding, but I will say that the installers were happy to get our job done as they are expecting a lot of work once the flooded houses start drying out.

I plan to do 5 mi later.

qotd: not too often but I do see some, over the years I have seen copperheads, rattle, water moccasins, rat, blue racers and garter snakes.  I did see a coral snake once.  I also see lots of sticks that look like snakes.

tbd.

AT-runner

Tim

qotd: not too often but I do see some, over the years I have seen copperheads, rattle, water moccasins, rat, blue racers and garter snakes.  I did see a coral snake once.  I also see lots of sticks that look like snakes.

Reminds me of FTYC's story where she jumped over a stick thinking it was a snake and proceeded to fall.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Geez Tim I guess that's one way not to forget your anniversary 

Congrats and Happy Birthday!

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Running late this am but still managed to run a wee bit over 3 miles.  It's actually humid.  After running an even taking a cool shower I was still sweaty!! but a clean sweat.  Gym at lunch.

QOTD:  Not too often..I think twice so far.  One was actually a Rattlesnake which I didn't see until I was jumping over it.  The other just a regular guy but I was still afraid to pass him.   When I was in Michigan the kids found a tiny snake no bigger than a pencil.  They picked it up and really I couldn't even be knew them it just creeped me out so much!!  I hate snakes!!!

Happy Birthday AT!!  and Happy Anniversary to you and that sweet wife of yours. 

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Daydreamer1

When I was in Michigan the kids found a tiny snake no bigger than a pencil.  They picked it up and really I couldn't even be knew them it just creeped me out so much!!  I hate snakes!!!

Reminds me of the time that DS showed me some "worms" that he had found in his sandbox and had in his pockets. Two baby black snakes .  I'm still shuddering as I type this from the memory..

Daydreamer1

Reminds me of FTYC's story where she jumped over a stick thinking it was a snake and proceeded to fall.

Anyone ever hear from Marie??  I think about her quite often.