Trailer Trash

Vertigo Night Run 63k RR (Read 41 times)

Occasional Runner

Here's my race report for the night run over the weekend. A 63k that got turned into a 52k due to an intense monsoon that rolled through the desert. It was a pretty intense race...at the end anyway. Good times!

http://www.slippingslowlyintopain.blogspot.com/2014/07/vertigo-night-run-63k-race-that-tried.html

Birdwell

The snake encounter was the first time I've laughed out loud at a race report.

Good job!

LB2

Something about thunderstorms can really get those snakes moving around.

LB2

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Great read.  Several from my running club were out there for the race.  That storm was wicked that's for sure.

I headed back down the trail with the added fear that culminated into believing that every crooked line in the sand, or stick on the trail was a snake that had been dispatched to do me harm. 

I'll have you know that I've run the Competitive Loop (the race course) close to 100 times and I've never seen a rattler on that trail.  Elsewhere in The White Tanks, yes, but not on that trail.  And, yes, once a snake is seen any stick or line in the sand is quickly examined for serpent possibilities.  Nick and Jamil always puts on good races.

You people have issues 

Occasional Runner

I'll have you know that I've run the Competitive Loop (the race course) close to 100 times and I've never seen a rattler on that trail.  Elsewhere in The White Tanks, yes, but not on that trail.  And, yes, once a snake is seen any stick or line in the sand is quickly examined for serpent possibilities.  Nick and Jamil always puts on good races.

I've run thousands of miles in the AZ desert and that's the first time I've encountered a rattlesnake down there. Like LB said, I was wondering if the storm got them moving, so I was on high alert after that.

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

I've run thousands of miles in the AZ desert and that's the first time I've encountered a rattlesnake down there. Like LB said, I was wondering if the storm got them moving, so I was on high alert after that.

We have plenty of rattlers in our deserts. I've probably seen a dozen or so in The White Tanks alone over the 3 ish years I've been running out there.

You people have issues 

Sandy-2

Wow.  Congrats.  Glad you made it.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

Occasional Runner

Wow.  Congrats.  Glad you made it.

It was touch and go for a while, Sandy.

Daydreamer1

I don't think there is anything that could make me crap my pants, except stepping on a rattlers head. Holy Crap that would get the heart rate up.

Occasional Runner

I don't think there is anything that could make me crap my pants, except stepping on a rattlers head. Holy Crap that would get the heart rate up.

In a rush to get through the race report, I failed to mention the string of bizarre utterances that escaped my lips. I wish I had been wearing a GoPro.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Did you really say "Wow did that just happen?". Or did you say holy fu'king sh't did that just happen? ". Are those photos of lightning you took?  What an intense night that began strangely (for you) slow due to heat.

Great job and thanks for sharing...you are one of our best English students; always getting your reports in timely. 

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Occasional Runner

Did you really say "Wow did that just happen?". Or did you say holy fu'king sh't did that just happen? ". Are those photos of lightning you took?  What an intense night that began strangely (for you) slow due to heat.

Great job and thanks for sharing...you are one of our best English students; always getting your reports in timely. 

Pretty perceptive, Sue. I actually said, "JESUSFUCKSHIT!!!" Then I called the snake an asshole and kicked some sand in his face. I try to keep the blog PG-13.

Somebody else took the lightning photos. I wasn't carrying a camera. There was also some great video shot of the storm that I would like to get my hands on.

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Pretty perceptive, Sue. I actually said, "JESUSFUCKSHIT!!!" Then I called the snake an asshole and kicked some sand in his face. I try to keep the blog PG-13.

Somebody else took the lightning photos. I wasn't carrying a camera. There was also some great video shot of the storm that I would like to get my hands on.

Courtesy of Nick Coury

You people have issues 

Occasional Runner

Courtesy of Nick Coury

Nick showed me that video but it was taken about an hour after they stopped the race. Things had calmed down by then and as you can see, the storm had moved into the distance. Jamil has better footage on his GoPro. Because he filmed so much of the race, I'm hoping he puts something together of the entire event.

Watoni

Dude! Ummm ..... that sounds like fun?

That report takes me back when I was just a kid in southern California running to my friends house. Come to think of it, that was my introduction to trail running since you had to go up a steep trail. Anywho, I was running on a hot day and then saw a rattler right in front of me on the trail. I was able to jump it and put together the longest string of expletives I believe I have ever said. If I had landed on it I definitely would have freaked out.

Good luck in your next races!