Trailer Trash

Winter S$%t!!! Wednesday (Read 17 times)

Daydreamer1

Getting some type of winter weather here today.  Supposed to be 3-8 inches depending on what we get.  For the most part it's white and slippy but other then that it's such a mix it's unidentifiable. Sent a direct query to God and he doesn't even have a clue what the R&D folks in the weather department sent us .

No time to get up on the mountain today and I won't run on the roads in this crap so I'll try to do some time on the TM and then the elliptical.  Also do some lifting tonight.

QOTD:  What do you most hate about where you live?  Today it's the weather.  I really don't mind snow, in fact I actually like it when it's decent stuff. The problem is that the stuff we get here is almost always a mixture of snow, sleet, rain, freezing rain, graupel and other stuff that the good Lord himself probably has trouble naming.  This ends up being something that it difficult to plow or shovel, is very slippy and freezes into ice quickly..

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Good title...I was thinking this when I drove my convertible with the top down to work.  I was like, it's a little chilly.    Me and the dogs ran 5.4 miles this morning.  Umm dam am I slow!!!    The run felt good so I was thinking maybe I should only run Sun, Mon, Weds, Fri.  Gym at lunch.

QOTD:  I live in a pretty good place.  Couldn't come up with much at first but...we are too close to the city Sacramento and even San Francisco so a lot of people visit and find our favorite places.   We don't care much for people.  The threat of fire is high here.  It doesn't bother me but drives my husband crazy with worry which than effects me. 

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

XtremeTaper

Last night was a "run" of 5 miles out on the trails of Coventry Woods. Really slow, barely a trail jog as the trail conditions were a bit sketchy. Sort of an icy crust, not like sheet of glass ice, but kind of like frozen slurpee. Crunchy and thin in some places, thicker and slick in others. Sometimes you could run well and other times not. So I just slogged about, didn't worry about time. Took the trail down the south side of the ridge thinking maybe a little more melting occurred on the sunny side of the hill, but it was just slightly better. Still, sort of fun, and magical in places as there was still quite a bit of foliage crusted in ice, especially near the top of the ridge, and it shone like crystal in the setting sun.

Today, woke up to light snow then heavy snow then sleet than drizzle. Maybe an inch of snow. Looked at the radar, looked like heavy rain was coming so took the Lady up to the local trail and we ran 5.5 miles. I guess it started raining pretty hard during the run as my short were soaked by the time we finished and had to crank up the wipers on the short drive back. 33 and rain. I guess I was dressed right as I did not feel cold while running.

QOTD: Winters are too long. I could go for about 1 month of winter. Thankfully we have not had any winters recently where heavy snow has made trails impossible to run. I remember a few times where 3-4 foot of snow pretty much shut down the trails for 4-6 weeks. But that's a rarity here.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

got a nice 4 mile snowshoe in with Tiny E yesterday evening- same loop we did Sunday (on fresh, untramped snow) and you wouldn’t even know we’d been there!

saw a terribly sad event after we finished, saw two vehicles down the road a bit (opposite sides of the road) with their flashers on. I thought maybe they had slid into each other. By the time I got Elvis loaded and my snowshoes off, the vehicles departed. When I got to where they were I saw a lady running down towards the road with a horrific look on her face; I looked where she was looking and saw her dog dead on the side of the road. Tore my heart out.

qotd: I could easily say the 6 months of winter we get, but after last summer will go with wildfire smoke. I detest heat, but can avoid it by running in the morning with a headlamp; smoke on the other you can’t escape.

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Sandy-2

This morning I did 3 mi in cold rain, avoiding lightening bolts.  I was dressed for it so it wasn't too bad.  I just took it easy, which I'll do for the next week.

By the way I forgot to mention in my pacer report, my time spent volunteering at the AS was used as the hours needed for the Bear next Sept.  Sent in the form so now I'm all set. Of course I would have been there even if I didn't need to for the Bear.

qotd: I hate the heat and humidity over the 5 months of sweltering summer down here. Plus there are way too many chain restaurants and way too few individually own places (and although really good, most of them are Mexican restaurants).

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

Queen of Nothing

Sue

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

LB2

Nasty weather down here, so I didn't run this morning.

QOTD: I don't like the weather during the summer. It is absolutely not suited for human habitation, yet we stay. I do not like the political games they play in the legislature. Bobby Jindal basically raped the state budget. Honestly, he should be tarred and feathered for his gross negligence, but it didn't start with him. Nevertheless, our economic situation is bad, but not hopeless. Hopefully, they can all get on the same page with the governor and do a special session to fix these things. It is very fixable, but the republican controlled legislature has some real party hacks that don't want to see a democratic governor succeed. I have no party affiliation. I just want it fixed.

LB2

AT-runner

Tim

I was destined not to run today. Snow turned to ice, so was able to close early for lunch, and figured I'd hit the TM.  I was about 1/10 of a mile in and power went out.  Waited a bit for it to come on, and when it didn't, I changed clothes. As I was putting on my shoes, the power returned.  Took it as a sign for a URD. Don't know if anyone has had a TM stop while they are on it, but it's not fun, and could really hurt you. Good thing I hadn't upped the speed yet and was still warming up, or I'm sure I could have really hurt myself.

Warden - sad.

QOTD:  Love my area until June and July when all the "Tourons" come to town. This year is the 155th anniversary of Gettysburg battle, so it will probably be packed like it is every 5 years. The 150th was insane.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

GC100k

Scraped ice off the car and drove through the freezing rain to the indoor track and did 9 miles this morning. As part of the wellness program at work, they gave us all pedometers. I got in 16,000 steps before sunrise, and then about 16 steps the rest of the day.  Weather was supposed to be snow, then freezing rain, then rain, but started with freezing rain, then snow, then freezing rain again. A big mess and just about everything is closed.

This is not the time of year to ask that QOTD. I've already done my standard rant a few times this year: "WHY DO WE LIVE HERE? WE DON'T HAVE TO! Our ancestors were chasing big game or fleeing malaria or something, but we don't have to live here."  So ya, it's the weather. And that we're a long ways from family. But all in all, I like it here in Central PA. The summers are glorious. It never gets hot and we can run in the middle of the day every day.

runtraildc

I didn't run today and wasn't really expecting to. Ended up with yoga and called it a day.

qotd: Hmmm, tourists are here in hordes year-round, so that we just get used to. Probably the politicians (even though they are around nearly year-rounds, as well). But I can't complain too much. Both drive a robust economy here. I hate it when the temps go much above 90 which is a lot in July.

7.1 trail miles today, temps in the 70s again.  Go ahead and throw a bunch of snowballs at me, we could use the precipitation!

QOTD: cost of living here is ridiculous. Housing, taxes, gas... everything costs more here in the SF Bay Area than just about anywhere else.  But I like it here. And it’s home.  So, not moving to Fresno any time soon.

4/14/24 Napa Valley 50k, Calistoga, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR