Trailer Trash

Anyone running Labor Pains this year? (Read 42 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

A new friend suggested I try this as a final tune-up race before NC 24 on Sep 20th. Since it's a fixed time event I could stop at the end of any lap so as not to overdo it with only 3 weeks for recovery and taper. I reread Muppy's RR from last year and the footing has me a little concerned. The last thing I would need is an ankle sprain or injury from tripping on the rocks. I've already cleared the day with work so I don't have a conflict there. It's a matter of whether it's a wise choice, especially with my not handling heat and humidity well.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Birdwell

lace has done it a few times, if I recall correctly.

Occasional Runner

I've done it all 3 years they've had it. In fact, it was my very first ultra. I don't recall Muppy's RR, so I can't speak to that, but the footing isn't technical. There's one really rocky section, otherwise, it's typical PA roots and random rocks along the trail. Most the trail is pretty smooth. This will be the first time I miss the race, but I can't justify flying to the east coast on Labor Day weekend for it. It's a great time, though.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Thanks for the info. It's probably less than an hour drive for me and I like the fixed-time events. I've run other races put on by Pretzel City Sports, so I know it will be well run. Ron Horn puts on good events.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

jbyram2

Eat to run, Run to eat

I'm all set to run it this year.  Looking forward to meeting a few of you.

Stone Mill 50m 11/16/13  12:42

Febapple Frozen 50k 2/22/14  9:20:55

DIrty German 50m 5/18/14 12:06:16

AT-runner

Tim

I've done it every year (this is the 5th year), and it's a great race.  Compared to other PCS events, the footing is fine.  I usually run 50k and then stop and drink a few German beers.  DW runs either 26.2 or a 50k, depending on how she feels.  Great supportive atmosphere.  Many runners are there just for a certain distance as opposed to running the while 12hr.  Last year, 2 guys busted out at the start to take a huge lead, but only ran 1 lap, which was there plan.  They were drinking the rest of the day.

The only bad section of rocks is probably less than 100m long, so easy to walk through and then run again when you are comfortable.  The past few years, the weather has been pretty hot and humid.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

AT-runner

Tim

I'm all set to run it this year.  Looking forward to meeting a few of you.

Yay, DW and I will be there.  I set up a large red Easy-Up awning.  Anyone is welcome to set up under our awning with us.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

muppy

George, if I remember correctly the only bad section of rocks is a drainage ditch section, other than that the trails are pretty nice just typical roots and rocks. Almost but not quite as smooth as the Dirty German course but very runable.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I've decided to run this as my last long run before NC 24. 50K for the day sounds good, then sit back, relax, and cheer.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Sorry I didn't get to connect with anyone. Got lost trying to find the place and drove around in circles for an hour. Ended up starting 27 minutes late. Ran my 50K, got something to eat, then decided I felt crappy enough after dealing with the heat and humidity to head home instead of staying for the finish.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

For anyone interest here's a link to my race report.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

jbyram2

Eat to run, Run to eat

Great report George, and an epic run.  It was miserably humid yesterday, and I was thinking of you and the others out in the rain and mud as I was returning from Harrisbug to NJ in the rain.  That last hill is notorious, as is the guardrail just before it, but you did it! Sounds like mission accomplished, and some lessons learned as well. Wished I could have stayed for more of the fun!

Stone Mill 50m 11/16/13  12:42

Febapple Frozen 50k 2/22/14  9:20:55

DIrty German 50m 5/18/14 12:06:16

muppy

Very nice George, it was a bit warm and muggy out yesterday. The  last hill before the finish I would call that more a wall that you had to climb up if I recall correctly. Sounds like you ran a good smart race, and good luck on your NC 24!

XtremeTaper

For anyone interest here's a link to my race report.

Nice job at the race.. I guess that is part of the beauty of a timed event. Show up late and you can still run! I've ran this a few times and live somewhat near the area. I could tell it was going to be a rough day. I'd expect the rain felt pretty awesome when it came. Seems like you felt pretty good on that last lap. You had time for 2 more laps.. you should have kept going. LOL. Best wishes for your 24 hour race.

In dog beers, I've only had one.