Trailer Trash

Venus de Wednesdaily (Read 39 times)

Sandy-2

Venus was really bright and visible this morning.  I thought it was a plane at first.

Early morning 5 miler this morning.  Nice clear, crisp and cold morning.

qotd: Are you good at Astronomy?  I'm not.

(Edited to re-phrase the question, hate auto correct sometimes.  Thanks Birdwell.)

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

Birdwell

Morning folks!

off to work I go. I'll get in 5 with the dog between getting off work and canine obedience school.

(It's better to take him to class tired)

QOTD: Astrology? Not at all.

Astronomy? I like looking up when I run at night. I see lots of stars out where I am.

LB2

I'll put 5 or 6 down on the trails tonight.

QOTD: No. I only know the moon phases because I believe I run better between the waxing gibbous and the full moon.

LB2

NorthernHarrier

Gonna head out shortly for the trails at Blue Mounds. Hopefully they will be packed down somewhat and maybe just use micro-spikes. Not sure I can get snowshoes on one handed.  Explored some new trails yesterday that will now become part of my trail file. Nice hilly, pretty single track, sweet. Oh, and running with a club on my hand was fine. 

Thanks to everyone for the nice words regarding my hand injury. Much appreciated. Even getting my shoes tied is an issue, not to mention pecking away at this keyboard.

QOTD-I know nothing about either.  (nice one Sandy)

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Good Morning, Got up at 3:30 thid morning - no, not for an ultra, just plain old work. We have loads of snow, sleet and ice rain, so I thought I'd give the commut a few extra minutes. I was right, nothing plowed, not even the Interstate, and getting out of the development (uphill, plus an S-curve) was a challenge. But, here I am , kicking and alive. Planning on a few winter miles after work. QOTD: no. Now, if we're talking astrology... just kidding, no clue at that one, either. But thanks to John, at least I get to see some astronomical sights every now and then!

Run for fun.

runtraildc

Freezing rain here so another snow day for the kiddos.  I am heading to the gym shortly for a strength workout.  Since it is supposed to warm up quickly this afternoon, my day may also include a short run late afternoon.

qotd: Astronomy:   I can identify the Big Dipper.  Astrology:  Virgo.

sugnim

Good freezing morning trailers.  I bailed on my run yesterday.  It was -33 with wind chill.  To me, that is uninhabitable, wool under armor or not!  When I left for work this morning, it was -23, so we've warmed up a bit.  Ugh.  The coldest I've ever run in was -1 and I only lasted 2 miles.  If we get up to 0 or above, I'll run this evening, but the weather forecast makes it look like my next run may be Friday.  I'm a wimp!  

QOTD:  I love astronomy, but I'm not very good at it.  I took 2 astronomy classes in college, and I had to retake one of them because I got a D.  I was able to get a C the second time around, which is not stellar (haha) but is at least a passing grade.  We have a nice 8-inch Celestron telescope at home, but I'm terrible at using that too.  Maybe my son might be able to use it when he gets older.  He has glow-in-the-dark star curtains, planet decals on his bedroom window, and a nightlight that projects the stars onto his ceiling.  He's only 4 months old, so I'll have to wait a while to see if he has any interest in the subject.

LB2: Hmm.  Interesting.  What's your theory on running & moon phases?

Chnaiur

Doing intervals along the estuary in the pm.

QOTD: Not very good. The big dipper is about it. I really enjoy using Google Sky Map with the kids though. It is an app that shows the names of constellations and planets that you point your phone at. It helped us indentify both Mercury and Venus one dark night when we were camping.

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

4/19 Tehama Wildflowers 50k

moonlightrunner

Good morning!

It is a day off today from both jobs...and I am enjoying it. Since they changed my work schedule from 8 hours to 12 hours I feel like all I do is work! I have to work 4 days a week! Yuck!

Planning a snowy 4 miler later today. The snow is deep and we have 4 inches of new stuff. I do not recall a winter where we have had this much snow. I is pretty...but I look forward to seeing the ground again.

Queen: are you back home? I would imagine you had some impressive snow to deal with in Traverse City.  Hope you get some mileage in at home with great conditions.

Harrier: sorry to hear about your hand. Thad must have been a hell of a trip back after you broke it. I guess it was that or call for a helicopter rescue.

Qotd: I like to look at a clear star filled night sky...but beyond that I know nothing of astronomy. I'm an Aquarius though...and that is about all I know of astrology. Oh..I used to be married to a Picean I learned my lesson there.

I am rethinking my spring races because my mileage is soooooo low....I am thinking of the marathon run with the Voyager in Minnesota. Anyone here ever run either race. I figure by July the cold and snow should be gone.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Good morning! Day I-lost-count in a row.  Not even doing any cardio.  Just existing right now.

FTYC - be careful out there.  Not sure if you got the ice we did but in case you did, wouldn't want to hear about a fall similar to last year.

QOTD: So what's the actual question? Astrology means nothing to me.  Astromony is interesting although not necessarily a hobby.  I once saw a shooting star once while running that was super bright and moving fast across the sky.  I talked to a co-worker who loves astronomy stuff who said it probably wasn't a star but rather a satelitte.  Hmmm.  Interesting.  On another note, one of my favortite things to do while camping to lay out and watch the stars on a clear night - did this last year (or maybe it was 2012) at PA grand canyon and it was super cool.  The more remote the area, the more stars you can see.  Northern PA is great for this.  There is an area that star gazers go to watch the stars - it is an area protected from a lot of man made light.  Cherry Springs State Park - http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/findapark/cherrysprings/index.htm

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

muppy

Got in 14.6 yesterday and an easy 4 this morning on a 1/2 of ice and sleet.

QOTD I know the big and little dipper from Cub Scout days and that's about it. I do love early morning full moon runs where u can turn off the head light and run by moonlight.

Nothing Yesterday because we spent 16 hours driving to Florida to visit and assist DD and SIL.  We did an easy 4 today.  It was crazy humid since we are used to cold lately at home.

QOTD: Astronomy? Yes it is an interest of mine and I am somewhat informed on the topic, but definitely not an expert.  Astrology? Not so much.

A note on yesterday's QOTD since I was on the road...  I have been to a dozen or so National Parks and quite a few other national sites like national monuments, national wildlife refuges, and of course national forests.  I highly recommend that those of you 62 or older buy the National Parks Senior Pass.  For $10 you get lifetime free admittance to NPs and a break on other fees in the parks.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

ElfRunner25

Wannabe Ultrarunner

Got 5 in on the trails in the dark last night. I used to run the trails in CO in the dark all the time and it never bothered me (except the two times I'm certain I was being followed by something) but the heavily wooded trails here are a good bit creepier in the dark. Especially in the wind.

Headed out for a long run here in a bit. Am hoping to see some snow Smile  There's a high wind advisory in effect, though, so if there are too many falling branches and the like, I might switch up the plans.

QOTD: No. Big Dipper and Orion's belt. And I can usually identify the sun, when it's out.

Race schedule: a 50k. Sometime. This year. Maybe a 5k too. Maybe races in between as well. 

LB2

LB2: Hmm.  Interesting.  What's your theory on running & moon phases?

I don't race enough to call it a theory. But, I have looked back on information I have jotted down concerning long runs or races of various distances and found that my comments/notes that indicated better performances almost always come between the waxing gibbous and full moon phases. Conversely, I have noticed a trend that I seem to have a higher frequency of negative remarks concerning runs after the full moon up until the waxing gibbous comes around again. That does not mean that I always run poorly outside of the waxing gibbous to full moon. But I did notice what I would consider a significant difference. Of course, there are examples of great runs outside that cycle. For example, October 26, 2013, I ran just about the best race I have ever run on a six mile night race during the waning gibbous. I placed 11th in pretty stacked field of runners. I ran really well that night. But I have convinced myself that the best time for me to race is between the waxing gibbous and full moons. Actually, it really goes from the first quarter through the full moon. But I generally tend to believe I do better as we approach the full moon after the new moon as opposed to going from the full moon to the new moon. In a nutshell, when it is waxing, it is good; when it is waning, it is not as good but not necessarily bad.

Now, my theory is this:

Even if my belief that this is a fact is completely false, my belief that I run better will usually result in a much better mental state going into the race. So, even if someone could prove my "theory" wrong, I don't want to hear about it because it works for me.

LB2

Gator eye

Only did 3 this morning, got some weird pains deep in my right calf. I think I'm going to dust off the eliptical for a week or so to give it a chance to heal up and wait out this damn cold spell. I swore to myself that I was done running outside till the temps get above 10 degrees in the mornings.  I think my last 10 miler at 10 below did some damage.

QOTD: I don't know jack about the stars except during a few early morning runs with a clear sky and smooth trail I find myself staring at the stars day dreaming, lost in the vastness of it all.