Trailer Trash

Arctic blast Mondaily (Read 19 times)

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Morning All! We're bracing for blast of winter- talking highs single digits, lows below zero   Probably get a run in this evening and then it will likely be the dreadmill for a couple of days.

qotd: what's on your Christmas list?  I picked mine up yesterday- a Kimber Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor- a very svelte 5.5 lbs 

pics from yesterday's run

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

LB2

Why a 6.5 Creedmore? Are you using it for predators? I am just curious.

It has pretty much rained non stop since Friday here. I spent Saturday hanging out at Cajun Coyote where it was just horrendous, cold and rainy. Lots of folks dropped from the 100 mile and 100K due to hypothermia. I have not run since Thursday. I wanted to do a 20 mile loop, but I just wasn't going out in it.

QOTD: My wife and I are giving each other a vacation to the Ozarks for Christmas. All other shopping has been done.

LB2

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I was originally looking at a .257 Roberts, but felt it was pushing it a bit on elk (would have been solid on deer/antelope) even the advances in bonded bullets and +P loading; the 6.5 CM I can get bonded bullets from Nosler, Barnes and Berger from 120 up to and a little over 140 grains, should be more than sufficient for elk (and deer, antelope).

I have a M70 Featherweight in .30-06 if I draw a tag for something larger

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Sandy-2

I'm in the same general non-stop rainy weather pattern as LB2, I feel your pain, we've gotten 3 inches of rain over the past 2 days (edit; the radio report I heard this morning was about 13 inches of rain in an outlaying town close to Galveston.  In my area it was about 3", I thought 13 sounded high although it does happen around here). And it was a mess this morning as well, lightening and absolutely pouring, so no early morning run for me today.  I hope to get out after work today.

I spent most of the rainy weekend finishing up our bathroom project (except we went to a party on Saturday nite), it's a long story but I had to re-do some painting that we had a guy do that just wasn't good.  He was cheap, and now we can see why.  Anyway we didn't want him back in for fear he'd make it even worse so I just re-did it.  It's basically done now.

qotd: Nothing comes to mind. Just spending time with the family is good for me.

tbd.

runtraildc

Got in 6 very flat and speedy miles on the paved trail yesterday afternoon. Seems as if I'm hitting a lot of pavement these days, even if it's mostly biker-hiker trails.

qotd: a new-to-us subaru.

LB2

I was originally looking at a .257 Roberts, but felt it was pushing it a bit on elk (would have been solid on deer/antelope) even the advances in bonded bullets and +P loading; the 6.5 CM I can get bonded bullets from Nosler, Barnes and Berger from 120 up to and a little over 140 grains, should be more than sufficient for elk (and deer, antelope).

I have a M70 Featherweight in .30-06 if I draw a tag for something larger

I have always shot a .308. But my father in law gave me a 7mm-08 a few years ago, along with enough ammo that may have me on the ATF watch list. I shot a deer with it a week or so ago. It is a really good whitetail round. I always thought you needed something like a 30-06 or a 300 mag to hunt elk. But I heard a couple of people recommend the .308 for elk. I think with the 6.5 CM and the .30-06 you should be able to handle whatever the mountains throw at you.

LB2

AT-runner

Tim

Back form the PNW.  Too fast, but fun time with the kids.  Got one long city run along the river and then a shorter city run.  Hiked 9 miles on the "Ten Falls Trail".  They lied, we saw about 20 waterfalls.  The trail went behind 2 of them and that was awesome.

QOTD:  A new shoulder.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

AT-runner

Tim

Oh, we did have some beer, too at the Holiday Ale Festival.

Sandy-2

What's with the empty glasses?   

Oh, we did have some beer, too at the Holiday Ale Festival.

tbd.

AT-runner

Tim

What's with the empty glasses?   

Damn 4 oz sample size (the bottom blue line).  But boy do they add up. 

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

AT pretty falls!

LB that 7mm-08 would be just fine with elk; .300 Win and .06 were the calibers to hunt elk with, but with the advancements in bullet design (mainly the bonded bullets) smaller calibers have joined the ranks (within reason of course)

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

The dogs and I got 6 miles done this morning on the trails, we had some rain yesterday/all day but the trails are still in good condition and hopefully they stay that way for a while longer.

Nothing comes to mind for me as far as what I want for Christmas, except for high mileage and that is something I have to take care of myself.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Daydreamer1

Going to change oil in the one vehicle then head out to the deer stand for a few hours. If I'm not successful then I'll come home and head out to the gym for a couple of hours of weight lifting and some rowing.  If I'm successful I'll be getting in some exercise participating in some dragging and lifting.

Warden - Kimbers are nice. I was looking at one a few years ago. If I ever get one it will probably be the traditional. I like wood stocks and really have no need for another small caliber so would probably go with a 7mm Mag or something along that line. I really would love to have a .257 Roberts mainly because it's a older round that almost went extinct for several years.  Now you just need to head west to Beaverton OR and pick up a new Leupold scope for it.  That would also be a good excuse to get in some nice trail runs out there .

LB2 - I've had a 7mm-08 ever since Remington gave them an official home. For years most people had no idea what it was and I had to patiently explain that no, it was not a 7mm Mag. Now they are quite popular, especially for women, kids since the recoil is so nice. I love mine. It's never left me down.

AT - I swear if you post anymore pictures of the PNW I'll have to call off sick and drive across country just to see it in person again .

QOTD: I gave DW three items. A weather station from Davis instruments, a polar heart rate monitor with chest strap (I'm too anal to rely on a wrist sensor), and a Dewalt Hammer Drill. I told her to pick one in that order and to keep in mind that the weather station and HR monitor are two things that I probably would put off buying on my own. Not quite sure what part of "pick one" she didn't understand, but I think she got all three of them . Wives!!!  After her spending that much I'll have to work more to pay the bills!!!!

Queen of Nothing

Sue

All I kind say is at least I ran 3 this morning.  It's also suppose to get cold here...down to 30 at night.

QOTD:  I think I am going to buy myself a puffy jacket.  My husband will make fun of me because now I am like all the other liberals in our area. 

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

bagge_pants

Hi! Nice Pics AT Runner.

5.7 today with 800' gain at 10 pace using a HRM con woodchip trails, 77% easy, 23% recovery 

QOTD: I need a used bicycle wheel with 7 gears on it and new pair of running shoes, either Pearl Izumi n3 trail or Skechers Ultra 3 in a half size smaller than I have now. Almost bought a new tent and back pack recently but decided to wait.