Trailer Trash

Is it Mondaily Already? (Read 32 times)

AT-runner

Tim

Ran 16 on a logging road yesterday.  First 2.5 miles climb 980' which makes for a hard start but a nice finish on my out-and-back run.  SRD today.

I had a fun encounter when a guy in truck stopped and asked directions to the ATV parking lot.  He was towing 2 ATV's and was over 8 miles from where he thought he was.  When I gave him directions he just kept looking at his ATV map and shaking his head. Then I turned his map 90 degrees and told him which direction on the map was North.  He had assumed UP was North, but the map he had UP was West, so that's how he got pretty turned around.  Then I told him where he would have to drive to have enough room to turn around his truck and trailer.  I went on my way another mile and then turned around to head back to my truck.  On my way back, the guy had jackknifed his trailer while trying to turn around in a very tight spot.  I guess he decided not to drive down the road 1/2 mile to the point where I told him he could easily turn around.  All I could think of was "Here's your sign".

QOTD:  Do you ever carry a map while on a run?  I have a few sections that have many intersecting trails, and a map always comes in handy.  I fold it up in Zip-lock bag and keep it in one of the front pockets of my pack.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Morning AT.  I like those types of runs too where you start with an uphill - usually means you end with the downhill.  Of course the exceptions are point to point or looped stuff.  But one of my fav trails starts with a steep uphill and then gradual for 2 miles.  Always a blast on the way back.

I was leary about getting out of bed this morning when my alarm went off.  I think I should have stayed.  But I got up and out for a slow 50 minutes of running.  Just one of those struggling runs.  I often feel that my shorter runs feel worse.  Maybe a mental thing?

QOTD: I will carry a map I have printed out on regular paper for new trails.  Did this on Saturday  Often by the end of the run, it is ruined due to getting wet, being in my pocket, and being folded. I have a nice set of maps for the AT but they are too bulky to carry on a run.  I usually study them prior to going to a new area (or photo copy a smaller portion of the map).  I am a map guy - love studying them.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

muppy

Got in 5 last night at the Milton Hershey school and ran ( no pun intended) into a cross country course, was a nice change. Plan on 5 or so tonight.

AT runner, don't you love when you give people directions and they don't listen, it happens all the time to me at my job, I just chuckle to myself.

I look at maps before I run but don't carry any, guess I don't run anywhere too wild yet!

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

At least 4 after work today.

QOTD: I own/buy maps if I'm going somewhere new.  I'll carry the map until I'm comfortable with the trail network.  They have come in handy many times.

**Ask me about streaking**

sugnim

Good morning.  I had a decent 10 miles in the local mountains yesterday.  The valley was smoke-filled, and it was nice to get up and above all of that for some fresh air.  You can see the smoke in the photo below--what looks like fog & cloud cover is wildfire smoke.  It makes for some weird lighting.

QOTD:  Yeah, I carry a map most weekends.  The one I have has all of the trails for the areas around our town.  It folds up compact and is water-proof.  I've gotten lost in the mountains before, so it's nice to have a map.  Plus, there are so many little trails, connectors, and options that it's nice to be able to consult the map to see where everything goes, otherwise I'd be stuck on the same trails all the time.  I carry a hand-held, hands-free Nathan 20 oz water bottle, tuck the map between the bottle & the holder, and use the protruding part of the map as an area to rest my can of bear spray on.  The set up works pretty well & I have quick access to everything I might need on a run.

DigDug2

SRD for me after a 26 mile weekend (9 Saturday, 17 Sunday).

Muppy - is Hershey home or are you travelling?  I was in Hershey last week, but the only running I did was on the hotel TM and running for shelter when a downpour started at Hersheypark.

Jamezilla - nice 5K RR - I'm looking forward to doing some short races this fall.

QOTD:  more often than not I'll carry a map - even on my regular trails, there are many different trails and combinations that I like to explore and a map is helpful.  I wouldn't get really "lost" without one, but I like knowing where I am and where I'm going.

Chnaiur

I did 11 the last two nights. Hours of sleeping that is. This is my SRW of the year. Soon ready for a nap again.

QOTD: I carry a map when I'm on new trails.

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

4/19 Tehama Wildflowers 50k

Daydreamer1

I'm off today, so I didn't get up until 9:30. Now I'm headed out to start washing the deck while DW mows the lawn. When I get done with the deck then it's on to washing the house siding. A genuine marathon of work awaits me Angry.

Oh yea, running, that's what this post is supposed to be about. I think I'm going to wait until this evening when it cools down then go for a 8 miler.

AT - I'm a pretty good map reader and I've gotten turned around a time or two because the map wasn't clearly marked which way was north.

Jame - I'm learning that sometimes when you're struggling it's nice to just go slow and not push it.

Muppy - Was that the same CC course that they will use for the state championships? Also do they still have a mountain bike race out back of the Hotel in the spring? I know that they used to but I haven't heard anything about it the past few years.

Sugnim - Has it been a bad fire season in that area?

QOTD: I only carry a map if I'm on new trails. I love maps. Sometimes I think I should have been a Cartographer.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Yes it is.  That means rest day for me.  I did 23 miles yesterday with a high of 9,700 feet and 4 some feet of elevation per Strava...whatever that means.  All I know was it was lot's of climbing up and I am stiff and sore today.

QOTD:  Sometimes.  I did yesterday but when I pulled it out I couldn't see anything without my glasses.  I do like to look at maps though so once home I like to look at the route I took.

AT and Jame:  My home trail is 500 feet up in the first 1.4 miles.  Usally takes me 20 min to reach the 1.4.  Then the rest is fairly easy after that...it's not but feels like it is.

sugnim:  We also have a fire that started yesterday although 40 miles away, we are smoked in.

Yesterday Lake Tahoe---I think my Iphone takes shitty pictures.  But my camera no longer works, it was dropped in water one too many times.  The last being salt water.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

XtremeTaper

Hello all... 6 hours for me yesterday at French Creek park. Super slow. At time I felt like "the drunken ultra runner" as I was staggering and moving so slowly among the rockier sections. The plan is a short run tonight with the Lady.

QOTD: Usually no maps unless I am running somewhere new. I love maps though. I can stare at them for hours.

Queen - So how far around the lake are you now and where was the photo-op (north, south, east, west) part of the trail? It looks a lot like my jaunts on the north side but then again the lake is huge and there are mountains everywhere.

Boyjame - Often times a slow run is better than no run at all. Early morning, wake up and go runs are a struggle for me. I do them sometimes and just don't worry about pace or speed.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

LB2

Not sure what I'll do today. I ran twice yesterday.

QOTD: Yes, I like to carry a map and compass.

LB2

muppy

Dig Dug, I live in a little town next to and work in Hershey. Hope you had a nice vist!

Daydreamer, the CC course I found was at Founders hall. I think they use the one around Catherine hall ( the big school above hersheypark for districts, and the states are over at the Giant center on what used to be Parkview golf course. IIRC?

I work at the hotel you mentioned and take care of the trails, as long as I've been up here they never had any bike races, just local people that ride the trails, and some guy on a mt unicycle.

moonlightrunner

I had a really nice run last night. I went out to the state park late to avoid mtn bikers. I brought my dog and hooked her retractable leash to my waist pack and away we went. I follow behind her....and I am pretty sure I run much faster than I would without her. It was a great time and we ha a lot of fun. Later today I will go out on my local trail for a laid back 4 miler.

Qotd: I do not carry a map...I can't read them and I have No sense of direction. I get lost very easily.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

Watoni

SRD today or a light spin. I am a bit sore, and I shouldn't be, so something is a bit off.

My classic runs were always straight up a hill with a descent to finish. Now since I run from home I have some rolling trail to start before hitting the bigger climbs.

My favorite straight up a climb in the larger area is Dipsea/Steep Ravine/Matt Davis Loop.

http://www.strava.com/activities/68821838/overview

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Queen - So how far around the lake are you now and where was the photo-op (north, south, east, west) part of the trail? It looks a lot like my jaunts on the north side but then again the lake is huge and there are mountains everywhere.

The Rim Trail is 165 miles.  We have run 115 miles and have 50 miles left.  A 17.5  and then the big one...32.7 in Desolation Wolderness.

The picture above is from the Big Meadows to Echo Summit.  The beach in the picture is South Lake Tahoe.  We are planning the 17.5 for next weekend and then the really big one in September.  Your welcome to join us.  Smile

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄