Trailer Trash

Shivery Tuesdaily (Read 18 times)

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Cold here- high of 7, low of -7- brrrr.  Had a good run yesterday evening in the snow- about 4", just feels good running in the snow, really cushions your foot fall.  Going to strength train this evening.

qotd: where do you generally draw the line for running temps?  I don't mind running down to single digits IF there is little to no wind, if there is wind it needs to be warmer or I'm on the dreadmill

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

LB2

I ran 3 this morning in a misty rain.

QOTD: I don't know if it has ever gotten too cold for me to run down here. I don't see that happening.

LB2

runtraildc

Morning trailers! Got in 3 miles on the roads by the pool last night. Seems as if last weekend was a big weekend to put up christmas lights. If I'm running in the dark and on the streets, that's a big plus for me.

qotd: -5 is my personal limit (MN, definitely not MD).  I'm usually so layered up in the single digits, I feel like the michelin (wo)man.  Wind is definitely the key factor, especially when running by the in-laws on the prairie.

Daydreamer1

The gym was full last night but I still managed to get in a nice workout. Other than getting on the rowing machine I've been real good at spending my time actually lifting and avoiding the cardio trap.  I can do plenty of cardio at home but for some reason I just can't get into lifting at home.

Probably going to spend some time on the trainer this evening and work on my balance on the BOSU ball.

QOTD:  I seem to remember running in single digits one time either last year or a year or two ago. However, when I scrolled through my spreadsheet comments I can't find that it's noted anywhere so it may just be my mind playing games and I'm thinking of the windchill. The lowest I found was listed at 11  degrees with a wind of 10-15 with higher gusts.  I honestly don't know where my lowest limit would be because that all depends on my mood at the time. If my mother would tell me I need to stay inside because it was -22 with a 20 MPH wind I'd probably go out for a short run just to show her it can be done .

I used to ride my bike all winter long. Never got into the single digits but did ride in the 10-12 degree range once or twice with winds in the upper teens.  Ride for a few miles then hop off and run for a 1/4 - 1/2 mile to warm up the feet.

muppy

5.5 trail miles yesterday.

QOTD I'll run down to single digits as long as it's not to windy. Fortunately we don't get there too often in central PA.

AT-runner

Tim

Got a 5 mile run in and then was just finishing putting up the outside lights just as the snow and sleet started.  Supposed to change over to rain in a bit. DW's meeting me for lunch so we can cut down a Christmas tree.  Might be a bit muddy.

Happy Tuesday, everyone.

QOTD:  I've run in temperature below zero with wind, and that sucked but I was mostly dressed for it. Problem I have is my fingers get too cold after I start sweating.  Went skiing in -6 degrees with wind and didn't have a bit of skin showing.  Had to stop when I started to get a headache. It was awesome conditions and not many people on the slope, so I hated to stop, but the lift ride was painful.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Sandy-2

Plan to do 5 after work today.  I'm getting geared up to crew/pace my DD at a local 50 miler (Brazos Bend) on Saturday.  Getting my gaiters ready....

I know at least 3 other people doing it, that will be 4 folks who are doing their first 50 miler, so I'll probably be busy.

qotd: what LB2 said.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Runs of 7 and 6+ miles the last 2 days.  Nothing special.

Warden - that seems really cold for early December.  

QOTD: I am with Warden and others.  I don't mind running in cold but cold and wind just goes right through me.  As far as temps, not sure.  I think last year I had a near 0 deg F run but we do not normally have those types of temps.  This morning 30 felt cold at first but got very comfortable after a couple miles.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

XtremeTaper

Not really cold here yet thankfully but maybe by the end of the week they say. No run today, or yesterday, or the day before, etc. I am about ready to run again but am going to hang on to the zero days until at least this weekend. Planet of fitness stuff again tonight. Thirty minutes on bike to nowhere, upper body weights, stretching and planks. Yawn.

QOTD: Single digits is typically the lowest we see here. I am sure I have run below zero several times. Wind is the key. With no wind 5-10 degrees might be more pleasant than 20 with wind. I don't run on the treadmill so if it's awful I will skip a run. That doesn't happen too often. Reminds me of the coldest race. Chilly cheeks circa 2008 or 2009? Temps were right about zero degrees but no wind. Wore shorts just to be stupid and live up to the race's name. I was pretty comfortable actually once the race got going. Only about a 7 mile trail race. Thankfully they had Yuengling lager at the aid stations as the water was frozen.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Gator eye

We got out for 8 this am.

QOTD: i start think of excusses not to run outside anytime it gets in the single numbers.

AT-runner

Tim

Chilly cheeks circa 2008 or 2009? Temps were right about zero degrees but no wind. Wore shorts just to be stupid and live up to the race's name. I was pretty comfortable actually once the race got going. Only about a 7 mile trail race. Thankfully they had Yuengling lager at the aid stations as the water was frozen.

That was definitely the coldest race I ever did. Lining up at the start was brutal, but once the race was going I warmed up.  My friend and I drank several Spaten's at the Liederkranz after that one.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

NHLA

rest day

qotd  about 20 degrees. We get strong winds on the mt.  I ran a marathon at 8 degrees one time.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

4.1 miles in a chilly 40F rain.

qotd: Below 20F, real temp or wind chill, and I'll take a rest day rather than run.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.