Trailer Trash

On the topic of biking (Read 34 times)

Watoni

If I am insane enough to try it on my current fitness and wonky ankle, this would be my ideal cycling trip for early September (Pyrenees):

Day 1: Rivesaltes (Perpignan) to Prades

Stats: 191km, 4,260m
    Key climbs: Auzines, Aussieres, Nadieu, Dent, Triby, Garabell, Jau

The stage begins by warming up on the hills guarded by the ruins of Catharre castles, then we trace our way up to the Col d’Aussieres via Sournia. After descending to Axat, we take a remote loop to bag four ‘back-road’ cols with some serious climbing, before briefly joining the Gorges of St Georges. From here we begin the long climb up to the Col de Jau for our final battle of the day.

Day 2: Prades to Saillagousse

Stats: 175km, 4,760m
    Key climbs: Roque Jalere, Mantet, Llosse, Font Romeu

A superb loop opens the stage, via the Roque-Jalere. After this comes a relatively gentle wooded climb to Vernet-les-Bains, before the main challenge: the Col de Mantet, with its steep final kilometres. After this monster, the incredible corniche road that starts the 30km climb to the Col de la Llosse sustains the days’ demanding nature. This back-road climb is the highlight of the stage, leaving ‘only’ a short climb up to the attractive ski-village of Font Romeu.

Day 3: Saillagousse to Oust

Stats: 204km, 4,600m
    Key climbs: Quillanne, Pailhères, Plateau de Beille, Port de Lers, Agnes, Latrape.

Another steady beginning to a stage gives us time to loosen legs before hitting the Pailhères for the first of our two meetings with this beauty. Once over and down to Ax-les-Thermes, we head down the N20 for the Plateau de Beille climb up to lunch : a real treat, (both!). That leaves the duo of the Port de Lers and Agnes – Pyrenees Perfection! Oh, there is one more climb before our hotel…

Day 4: Oust to St. Lary-Soulan

Stats: 196km, 5,900m.
    Key climbs: Core, Portet d’Aspet, Menté, Portillon, Superbagnères, Peyresourde, Azet.

Things toughen up a bit on this stage. All the climbs here are classically Pyrenean, harder than they look on paper but more beautiful than you could imagine. Each climb has its own distinct character and challenge. Mid-stage, the Superbagneres climb could be omitted if legs are screaming.

Day 5: St. Lary-Soulan to Oloron

Stats: 223km, 5,600m
    Key climbs: Ancizan, Tourmalet, Luz-Ardiden, Spandelles (east), Soulor, Aubisque.

Arguably the king stage of the Challenge, and the Ancizan now seems to have become a Tour favourite. We ride the tougher side, naturally. The Tourmalet, of course, towers over all others, although he Spandelles/Soulor/Aubisque combi will leave you speechless, certainly breathless. A long but genteel section, through the Bois de Bager, provides a well-earned stretch of fun.

Rest day

Day 6: Oloron to Larrau

Stats: 200km, 5,200m
    Key climbs: Burdinolatze, Chalets d’Iraty, Erroymendi, Port Larrau, Pierre St Martin

We dip into Spain for a Basque stage with, and quite a few steep bits along the way. After an almost flat start, the route climbs through the Basque hills, all the way to the Spanish border at Port Larrau. The gradient is varied, yet always sustained, making for some tough riding. On a good day, the views from the top of St Martin are the best.

Day 7: Larrau to Argeles-Gazost

Stats: 201km, 5,200m
    Key climbs: Ste Gracie, Soudet, Bouesou, Houratate, Marie Blanque, Spandelles, Hautacam.

Rolling foothills to begin with, before tackling one of the toughest climbs of the event, the Ste Gracie/Soudet. A very big climb up but certainly worth it for the views. Across some spikier hills, before riding the 13%-plus Marie Blanque on its vicious side. The superb, tight Spandelles climb, which deservedly gets a second visit, brings us to Argeles, where the final big one awaits for us, the Col de Tramassel (Hautacam), star of Le Tour in 2014. Not a bad day on a bike.

Day 8: Argeles-Gazost to Bagneres-de-Luchon

Stats: 192km, 5,600m
    Key climbs: Couret, Palomières,Beyrede, Aspin, Peyresourde, Hospice de France.

After a bumpy crossing of foothills, we tackle the Col du Couret. Whereas the Aspin and Peyresourde are more bucket-list climbs, this little-known climb gem is revered by those in the know, and a similar claim could be made for the Beyrede. This backroad stage finishes with another up-and-back (optional) and a seldom-ridden climb, the wonderful Hospice de France.

Day 9: Luchon to Ax-les-Thermes

Stats: 217km, 5,400m
    Key climbs: Port de Bales, Portet d’Aspet, Crouzette, Port

The formidable Port de Bales opens the day with a touch of class, before a gentler section takes us to the steeper, but shorter, side of the Portet d’Aspet. Then follows the beautifully quiet but occasionally steep climb to the Col de Crouzette. After the Col de Port, a long descent takes us to Tarascon and the start of the Route des Corniches, bringing us to our hotel via the high road.

Day 10: Ax-les-Thermes to Rivesaltes (Perpignan)

Stats: 198km, 3,900m
    Key climbs: Chioula, Pradel, Pailhères, Saint Louis, Bataille

A slightly terrifying trio opens our final stage but what a way to come away from the high Pyrenees. Once over the Pailhères and down one of the best descents of the trip, the afternoon will seem easy, though hardly flat.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Wow  

I'd love to do some hiking/running in that area, some day

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Sandy-2

Is this a group tour type of thing or are you tackling this yourself?

Sounds really cool.

tbd.

Watoni

Is this a group tour type of thing or are you tackling this yourself?

Sounds really cool.

It is a trip ... I think there are a few open spots .... run by crazy Phil Deeker

This is a video from our Dolomites trip ... I am in the red jacket about 3 minutes in riding in the rain but you do not see my face

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLL_t4Y80nw

AT-runner

Tim

Sounds like fun. Nice to have someone doing all the planning for you.  After that many miles the last thing you need is to worry about logistics.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Daydreamer1

Wow!!!!  That is some serious miles and serious climbing. Just thinking about a ride like that makes me tired. I'd definitely have to quit running and start the hill training to even survive the first few days.  I've had a recent foot issue that has pushed me back on the bike. I had almost forgot how much I love it, especially the climbing.

Is your ankle so bad that it would affect your ability to do this?

I say go for it.  Especially if you can catch a ride in the support vehicle if you have to.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Dude.  Back to back to back to back to back (etc) centuries, basically.  That's crazy, but I bet it's crazy beautiful too.  And you'd have someone to haul your gear for you!

Running is dumb.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I think you can do it Jeff....you have a LOT of energy!  

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Have you signed up yet?

The route sounds just gorgeous (although days 4-9 will be cruel, all over 5000 m climbing and most over 200 km), I am sure the views and the mountains will be stunning.

Unless the ankle is bothering you on the bike, I'd say go for it!

Run for fun.