Trailer Trash

Thrilling Thursday (Read 21 times)

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

It's really not thrilling, at least not yet.  It is DW's b-day but being two days after DD's b-day it seems to get lost in the shuffle each year. The kids and I went shopping for her the other night - hope she likes the gifts...

Got in 7 late last night.  It was so peaceful out. Didn't have the normal dizziness I had been having over the last couple weeks but did have a stupid cramp.  Today it's raining, a lot.  But hopefully by tonight it will be done.

Warden - I see from your comment yesterday, you are less stressed...congrats man!

QOTD: Sock question.  How quickly do you go through running socks?

I recently had all of my running socks develop holes at the same time.  Some of them I have had for many years which I was impressed with.  So needles to say I recently went on a sock binge!  I love my drymax but tried a couple other pairs - a pair of nike and a pair of sugoi.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

XtremeTaper

Sort of a creaky 7 on the trails of Green Lane last night. Still a bit chilly for early April in these parts. Finished up and a young couple in a car parked next to mine appeared to be up to some sort of hijinx. I waved at them as they stashed their weed, then they hit the trail for a walk. I suppose. Plans are up in the air today.. I think the planet of fitness for lunch and some sort of run this evening.

QOTD: It's hard to say. I recently retired a few pairs of hole infused woolie boolies. They were likely 2 years old, but I keep my running sock stash at 7 pairs as I don't like to do laundry frequently. Still that's pretty good return. Thinner socks do not last long for me.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Morning all.  Happy Birthday to your DW Jamie

Had a nice run yesterday, the loop has a really long climb (~2.5 miles)- it gains about 1000' so it's runnable, but slow. Going to take today off completely, going to get a haircut. I'm hoping two days off (will strength train Friday) will leave me well rested for a good long run on Saturday.

qotd: I exclusively use Darn Tough socks- I probably have 20-25 pairs of various heights and weights (running, hiking, skiing, work, etc.). I've tried a lot of different wool socks over the years, but settled on Darn Tough 5-6 years ago. They have a lifetime warranty, if the socks are really old I'll throw them out, but I've sent back probably a half dozen pairs or more over the years- they've always replaced them with no question. Made in the US is a bonus too.

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

AT-runner

Tim

Pouring down rain this morning, so begrudgingly hit the hamster wheel for a 2 hour run.  Watched the Masters online and that helped a bit.

Happy birthday to Jamie's DW, Jaimie (is that how she spells her name?)

QOTD:  Wear Drymax socks and I always seem to wear them out in the left big toe.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Had a nice run of 6.44 this morning.  I took this little trail that placed me on top of a mound (from mining) and I was looking down at the trail.  There was a male co-worker younger than me drudging along.  So I was catching up to him although above him and then hit the trail just in time to pass him.  "Hi Mike  eat my dust!"  Ok the eat my dust was in my head. 

QOTD:    My socks last a super long time...I think some of my Dam Tough Wools socks have to be over 5 years old even though they get worn at least once a week.

Dam Warden!  20 to 25 pairs!!! 

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Daydreamer1

Really wanted to get up on the mountain for some serious miles today. Then I came home from work feeling like I ran 35 miles in the heat, and we weren't even busy overnight .  So after a long nap I'm now feeling better but I'll probably only run on the roads around the house today. Probably 7-8 miles.

QOTD: Not very fast.  I mostly wear the double layer Wrightsock.  Never get blisters and since '11 I may have thrown one or two pairs out. Not because of holes but because they got thin. I have a whole drawer full of Wigwams and other heavier socks that I got in goodie bags from the races around here. Those will last me forever since they are too heavy for summer running.  Hmmmmmm. This reminds me, I need to clean out my sock drawer. I have a whole bunch of 1/2 wore out socks of various brands that are OK for the gym or maybe on the bike but simply chafe too much to wear while running.

Sandy-2

Got up and did 5 this morning.  I was really groggy and sleepy for some reason - it was a slow trudge. The weather was nice and there were quite a few people out since I ran along the large beach (Haeundae Beach), I don't think I really woke up until I was almost done.

qotd: I have no idea how long they last, I have quite a few sets of similar pairs that I rotate through so I don't even know how often I wear any of them.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

NorthernHarrier

Not sure of my plans over the next 3 days as I should head north but the weather looks to be rather cold, snowy, and generally crappy. Sap won't be running much anyway and I am tired of doing it too. They have gotten a bunch of snow with more coming so the trail running may not be worth a f**k. Kinda talking myself into staying home maybe.     Have gotten some good runs in on the trails this week including some intervals yesterday and a little over an hour out at Donald park today after work. I'll have a couple beers while working out in the man cave and try to decide my long weekend plans.

Queen--You "suggested" a couple days ago I should do that 3 day Utah thing.  First off I have been to southern Utah a handful of times touring, hiking, trail running, and mtn. biking so have a little knowledge of a few areas so while I certainly understand the allure of a trip there I just can't wrap my brain around what appears to be an expensive price for a couple shuttles and the right to camp on a baseball field and for that kind of money not even have showers available. 3 days of hot and Utah dusty trails, sweaty, stinky runners, and no showers. Just not seeing any sort of value to that. Oh, and you get to purchase refreshments. For $450 they can't furnish a couple sodas? I'm not into that kind of group scene anyway but this just seems way, way overpriced.

Frankly there are multitudes of trails out there open to the public that you can access on your own while camping in nice places and doing it on your agenda for a whole lot cheaper. The internet is full of trail descriptions, maps, etc.  In my own case since I have known for awhile I would be helping my daughter move out there I have some trails researched in the Grand Staircase/Escalante area that look to be pretty epic and I have never explored in there yet.  So I guess to sum it up I won't be signing up for the group thing but prefer to explore on my own.

QOTD--Well if Warden has an alarming amount of socks then call me Imelda as I have even more. Never thought I had a sock problem, thought it was normal.  Anyway since I have so many they last forever. Different brands, weights, height, etc.

Daydreamer1

QOTD--Well if Warden has an alarming amount of socks then call me Imelda

Well hello, Imelda.  Now we know where you go when you don't show up here.  Back to the Philippines to fulfill your political duties !!!!! 
                    And here we thought you were running on the Gulf of Mexico beaches when in reality it's on the beaches at Leyte Gulf!!  Sorry about all those shoes you lost back in the day, but at least you replaced them with socks .

BTW. There are many times I'll drop a comment about Imelda when someone is talking about having too many shoes, and just get a dumb look in reply.  Seems like few know the history or even care to know it.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Yes it is spendy...I have been to Utah often and love it.  I have been trying to get the old man to go explore/mt bike again.  We have never explored the Grand Staircase/ Escalante either.  My understanding is it is some of the best.  I like the idea of a party like atmosphere and really not too thrilled about camping at a baseball field.  I am waiting to see what Kelly's discount looks like.

Queen--You "suggested" a couple days ago I should do that 3 day Utah thing.  First off I have been to southern Utah a handful of times touring, hiking, trail running, and mtn. biking so have a little knowledge of a few areas so while I certainly understand the allure of a trip there I just can't wrap my brain around what appears to be an expensive price for a couple shuttles and the right to camp on a baseball field and for that kind of money not even have showers available. 3 days of hot and Utah dusty trails, sweaty, stinky runners, and no showers. Just not seeing any sort of value to that. Oh, and you get to purchase refreshments. For $450 they can't furnish a couple sodas? I'm not into that kind of group scene anyway but this just seems way, way overpriced.

Frankly there are multitudes of trails out there open to the public that you can access on your own while camping in nice places and doing it on your agenda for a whole lot cheaper. The internet is full of trail descriptions, maps, etc.  In my own case since I have known for awhile I would be helping my daughter move out there I have some trails researched in the Grand Staircase/Escalante area that look to be pretty epic and I have never explored in there yet.  So I guess to sum it up I won't be signing up for the group thing but prefer to explore on my own.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Occasional Runner

You could make that argument about every race. You don't like the WSER price and lottery? Shit…just go run the trail on your own, right? Why would anybody ever pay for the right to run on public land?

Here's the link of activities for the event. You might be grossly underestimating what you get for your entry fee. A lot of work is going into this to make it fun for everybody.

http://www.thetrailfest.com/festival-activites/

It's going to be a great time, but it's definitely not for everybody.

NorthernHarrier

Well the trail pics do look stunning so I'm sure those that go will be thrilled with the runs, no doubt. Since I wasn't interested in this at all I wasn't going to post anything but since Queen brought it up out of courtesy I responded but since the cows are out of the barn I will bring up another concern since you are apparently involved in some facet.   When I first clicked on the site the 4 words that jumped out at me were ZION, BRYCE, and GRAND CANYON.  My thought right away was how in the world can they run an event like this in three National Parks. Did a quick scroll thru and it's not really clear about the actual trail location. I clicked on the nice pics and they pop up but when I clicked on the maps to expand they don't. Hmmm.  Didn't seem too clear at all to most I'm sure. Having a little bit of knowledge of the area I knew where two of the runs were actually being held but again since since I'm not interested I just closed the window and kind of shook my head.

Don't you think you are maybe sort of misleading people just a little as to where they are actually running? Most people who have never been to southern Utah read about an event in say Zion and probably let their imagination go to images of themselves running on some of the classic trails in there.  Just running events in the areas of the parks while still beautiful could and should be made clearer in my opinion.

Again, not for me so I'm out of the conversation. I wish you well in this event and I do think those that go will enjoy it.

Occasional Runner

It would be misleading if it mentioned National Park, but it doesn't. Not all of the Grand Canyon is in the park, The same is true with Zion and Bryce. The Grand Canyon run is a great example. If you look at the map, it's pretty clear you're not in the park, but you're right on the edge of it, which takes 18 miles along the north rim where you can see directly down into the canyon. I struggle to see where anybody will be mislead or feel like they got a bum deal when they're literally standing on the rim of the Grand Canyon. How is that NOT the Grand Canyon? Look at the pictures from the run through Bryce Canyon. That is, in fact, Bryce Canyon. And Zion National Park is a terrible place to run. The Zion area outside the park is incredible.

When I hop down to the southern desert to run, it would never occur to me to run inside any of the parks because the park boundary is just a border that determines where you have to pay the fee to get in. Those places are best suited for busloads of tourists, not for trail runners.

AT-runner

Tim

Don't you think you are maybe sort of misleading people just a little as to where they are actually running? Most people who have never been to southern Utah read about an event in say Zion and probably let their imagination go to images of themselves running on some of the classic trails in there.  Just running events in the areas of the parks while still beautiful could and should be made clearer in my opinion.

I don't think too many people will be mislead. I thought maps were pretty clear, and I'm not familiar with these parks at all.

Wife and I are 99% certain we are going. We plan to do some extra sightseeing. We have a Nation Parks Pass (a bargain for us living near Gettysburg NP and vacationing in Chincoteague Island NP) and plan on seeing some more parks as we travel.

If your looking for a NP experience, then I agree, it's probably not an event to do. The only part of Utah we've run trail is around Park City, so this will be a vastly different experience for us.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

NorthernHarrier

Thought I was done as I really don't care but I can't ignore this:

It would be misleading if it mentioned National Park, but it doesn't. 

Reread your homepage of the site---"3 day trail running festival which takes place in the heart of North America's most scenic national parks."

Try to explain again how that's not misleading. If it's not misleading why did you already have to post some clarity in response to Digdug?

Why the need to tie it in with the names of national parks except to create a marketing illusion. You could easily and honestly post and describe the runs as running the beautiful lands of canyons and hoodoos ADJACENT to 3 of America's most beautiful parks.

It looks like some beautiful country to run thru. Shouldn't need semantics to sell it.