Trailer Trash

Dreary Thursdaily (Read 20 times)

XtremeTaper

Grey and raining here today. I don't believe this is remnants of Michael yet. Hope all in it's path stayed safe.

Probably a day off from running today, but will get to the gym for strength and stretching. Nice run last night at Coventry Woods. I ran my normal ~7 mile loop, decided to not slog around on the hills and rocks, and had a great run. I didn't think I had a chance to break 70 as I hit the approximate halfway point in 37 and change, but the second half is easier, with just one decent but gentle climb and a few rollers and a lot of flat and down hill. I did well and felt energized and came in just over 69 minutes. It's been quite some time since I busted 70 on this somewhat challenging loop (800+ feet climb). Nice evening, somewhat warm, about 78 but I was sort of loving the last evening of "summer" in the fall. With the lower sun angle, almost dusky, it was quite pleasant.

QOTD: Falling on the trail... Rarely or regular offender?

I was a regular offender in the past, getting several decent falls a month if not a week, but the past year I've been fairly immune. Not sure if I am just paying more attention, being more cautious, or if some of the balance poses I've been doing regularly have helped me bounce out of potential trips and spills. That said I did have a pretty good crash last night. Going up the last hill, mind was wandering, hopped over a small tree laying across the trail, and did not notice it was covered in vines. One of the vines caught my back foot and before you knew it the ground came up and grabbed me. Slam. No damage done at least.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

runtraildc

Another wet day here, but it's also bringing in a cold front and tomorrow will be 60*! I'll take it. Got in 3 miles last night with the brewery group. It was that or do a quick run around the neighborhood and I knew this group would make me run fast (they did). And to build on the other day's qotd: Another strange sight. Coming up the street, next to a liquor store, a couple of guys were calling someone saying 'he's breathing'. Look to my right and another guy is flat out on his back, eyes wide open and a brown paper bag next to him. If I hadn't heard the breathing comment, I would have thought he was dead. By the time this registered, I was half the block up and saw a police car parked, told them about the guy and continued on. I heard sirens soon so he got help.  Hope he's ok.

qotd: Ugh, now you've asked this, I will likely have a bad fall soon.  I am a rare offender, but now I feel jinxed.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

4.5 miles yesterday evening with Tiny Elvis- in 5” of snow! 

will hit the trails this evening, supposed to be a little warmer, but I don’t think all the snow will be gone just yet

qotd: I went from a fairly regular (every other month or so) to rarely- knock on wood!

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

dhuffman63

Trails

It's cold here at 45 this morning but sun at least.  I took a rest day so will make it up on Friday.

QOTD:  I used to fall every time I went out...trail...road...whatever.  Worst was PH last year when 4 miles in I tripped on the gravel road and tore up my left hand...it looked like hamburger.  People I was with freaked out but I was all "it's a flesh wound"...AS lady wrapped my hand in duct tape and I finished my first 50k.  I trip still but rarely fall anymore...now I'll be jinxed too.

LB2

Easy loop this morning. The temp was around 65 degrees, which is the coolest run I have had in a very, very long time. It was just an easy run, nothing special about it.

QOTD: It has been a long time since I fell, but I have had some spectacular falls, mostly in races. I have never been injured to the point that I couldn't continue because of a fall, but I slid off the side of steep ridge early in a long race and ended up with cellulitis as a result. I knew something was seriously wrong around mile 75 or so. Same race, mile 85, I thought I broke my jaw sliding into the aid station, face first after bouncing off a boulder. Water bottles flew across the AS table. Another time, in my only 10K, I crossed a highway and tripped on a reflector. We were running fast, and somehow I ended up rolling right back onto my feet and never missed a stride. I think the worst one was in a 10 mile race that was very muddy. I started in a group of four up front. We got off the trail and ended up having to run super hard to catch everyone in the race. I came around a corner and hit some mud about 7 miles into it and thought I had pulled something. I had to take a minute or two to get myself together. I wasn't sure I could finish that one. I ended up getting second place. I was in pretty good shape, but this was not a stacked field of runners.

LB2

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Little over 4 this morning with the mutts.  Gym at lunch. ...back at it and I am sore. 

QOTD:  Occasional..maybe 3 times a year.

WC:  Chocolate chocolate is my favorite.  But than again cherry pie is pretty good too.  I never liked the crust when I was a kid though.  Love it now. 

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Bert-o

I lost my rama

XT - Glad you came out ok last night.

runtrail - Bizarre run sighting.  Good thing there was a cop car down the street.  Situations like that, I'm really never sure what to do.

warden - 5" of snow.... Nice!

dhuffman - That's quite a doozie on your first 50K.  Gotta love duct tape!

LB2 - Wow, it's cooler where you are than here.  I think Michael pushed all your warm air to the northeast.

Got 6 and change in last night.  Still warm and almost 100% humidity.  It was getting pretty dark the last couple miles and I didn't bring a light with me, so I was kinda feeling for the trail in the woody sections.  Surprised I didn't take a fall, but I was concentrating.  Rest day today.... flash flood warning.

QOTD:  I rarely fall, but it's usually when I'm daydreaming and trip over something rather obvious.  On tricky trails, I pay pretty close attention and even if I do trip, I'm ready for it.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

AT-runner

Tim

Took a TURD today.  Humid and raining out and wasn't feeling like a hot run, so started a project I've been putting off and tore out the carpet in 2 of the kids old bedrooms.  Took all day, but looks nice since there are some old heart of pine wood floors under the carpet.  We put carpet in when kids were little so they could play on floor. Too many stains and a few cat spots, so time to go.  No need to sand them, so just some polish and should be good to go.

QOTD:  Do more tripping than falling.  I tend to stub my toes a lot and catch myself before falling.  I'm good for 1 really spectacular fall per month.  Think a lot has to do with I'm not running the trails as fast as I did 10-15 years ago, so I fell more before.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

It was a dark and stormy afternoon, or at least it looked like it could storm any minute, so I ran short loops so I could get to shelter if storms did manifest themselves. 7.5 miles

qotd: Don't run trails often enough for falling to be that frequent. When I do run trails I'm very conscious of the hazards, so I rarely trip and fall.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

AT - Nice you can save the wood floors.  I always prefer wood floors over carpet (even if cold in the winter).

wc - Smart to make small loops in case it storms.  Looks like you were spared.  Nice run!

Forgot to add that Joe (probably an intern) from Jimmy Kimmel sadly informed me that I was not selected to be on his show to compete for a bib for the NYC marathon.  I'll watch the show tomorrow just to see what fool-hearted thing I would have had to do, but rejection still hurts a bit.  The things we do to run. 

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Crap I would have loved to watch you doing foolish things...for some reason I bet you are good at them.

AT - Nice you can save the wood floors.  I always prefer wood floors over carpet (even if cold in the winter).

wc - Smart to make small loops in case it storms.  Looks like you were spared.  Nice run!

Forgot to add that Joe (probably an intern) from Jimmy Kimmel sadly informed me that I was not selected to be on his show to compete for a bib for the NYC marathon.  I'll watch the show tomorrow just to see what fool-hearted thing I would have had to do, but rejection still hurts a bit.  The things we do to run. 

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Nothing to contribute, no running today... on day 3 of my ailment but it seems to be abating.  Might venture out tomorrow!

QOTD: I used to trip and fall a lot on the trail.  Then I got my eyes checked and realized I've become pretty near-sighted.  Now I wear contacts or prescription sunglasses and fall a lot less.  

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Sandy-2

Did 5 mi each morning on Thurs and Fri before my meetings.  Beautiful mornings and sunrises here in Seoul.  Early morning temps both days were about 40 deg F.  Felt great.  I ran along a stream, which is really nice since you can string the stream and rivers together and go for miles and miles without having to deal with street crossings and traffic.  My hotel is near the stream (near city hall). I have run along this little stream quite a few times over the years, including when it first opened.  It has nicely matured now with large trees and overgrowth (well as much as can be expected in a concrete jungle anyway).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheonggyecheon

Headed down this evening for a week of meetings in my old stomping grounds of Busan.

qotd: (Jinks deflector on...)  I haven't fallen in a while.  I had a few close calls during my hondo but I was able to catch myself.

tbd.