Trailer Trash

Leadville 100 RR...And a TON of Pics (Read 60 times)

Occasional Runner

Here's my RR, detailing the story behind a long quest for the big buckle. Despite a lot of speedy 100 mile finishes, that damn buckle stayed just out of reach. Until now.

Thanks for checking it out.

http://www.slippingslowlyintopain.blogspot.com/2014/08/2014-leadville-trail-100-chasing-big.html

Birdwell

Nicely done. Congrats on the big buckle and getting that monkey off your back. Are you still all in for the 1000 mile buckle?

Next year, you should ask that Krar guy to pace you. I hear he's got Leadville figured out.

How were the logistics this year? Did lifetime seem to figure things out?

Occasional Runner

Nicely done. Congrats on the big buckle and getting that monkey off your back. Are you still all in for the 1000 mile buckle?

Next year, you should ask that Krar guy to pace you. I hear he's got Leadville figured out.

How were the logistics this year? Did lifetime seem to figure things out?

I'm still planning on the 1000 mile buckle. I have too much invested to abort that plan. Now that I have the big buckle, the pressure is off and I can coast my way to 6 more sub 30 finishes. Going sub 25 has been a focus for a long time. Not quite an "A Race" plan, but still a firm goal. Now I can focus on some other things.

Lifetime did a great job this year and people seem to be very happy with the race. I think a lot of the whining from 2013 was overblown by the anti-corporate race crowd. A lot of what I heard from that race originated from people that weren't even there. From my perspective, 2013 and 2014 were both well executed. Nonetheless, Lifetime made a commitment to make things even better and they did. I would be shocked if anybody came forward with a legitimate complaint.

Watoni

Great report and congratulations again!

I would like to go back but have much to figure out after my setbacks this year and my struggles with altitude last year. I would definitely need a crew and a pacer to have any chance of making slightly over 27 hours into just under 25.

Inspiring as always!

LB2

Good report. I think it is pretty funny that your first 100 was Leadville, and that it was your best time before this year. Even when you know that going slow to go fast works, it is hard to do. Congratulations on that buckle; it is well deserved.

LB2

moonlightrunner

Congratulations! As always, your relentless pursuit of your goals are an inspiration! Great report and pics. Thanks for sharing. You need to get some fancy cowboy boots to go with that awesome buckle!

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

Occasional Runner

Good report. I think it is pretty funny that your first 100 was Leadville, and that it was your best time before this year. Even when you know that going slow to go fast works, it is hard to do. Congratulations on that buckle; it is well deserved.

I think that's what kept driving me towards the sub 25 finish. After my first race, I only needed to shave 30 seconds per mile to go under 25 but my finish times kept going the wrong way.

I think I've come to terms with the reality that mountain running isn't my strength. Now I need to figure out what is.

Watoni

I think that's what kept driving me towards the sub 25 finish. After my first race, I only needed to shave 30 seconds per mile to go under 25 but my finish times kept going the wrong way.

I think I've come to terms with the reality that mountain running isn't my strength. Now I need to figure out what is.

Mountain running, or running at elevation? I think you run vert pretty well, no? Living at elevation helps somewhat, for sure, but 10,000 feet plus is a massive challenge.

Occasional Runner

Mountain running, or running at elevation? I think you run vert pretty well, no? Living at elevation helps somewhat, for sure, but 10,000 feet plus is a massive challenge.

I think it's terrain more than altitude. I seem to do better on rolling terrain with rapid variability. The really long ascents seem to be my nemesis, but it might be my tactics more than anything else.

Let's see how Wasatch and the Bear play out over the next few weeks.

LB2

I think it's terrain more than altitude. I seem to do better on rolling terrain with rapid variability. The really long ascents seem to be my nemesis, but it might be my tactics more than anything else. 

You should really try to break away and run Pinhoti one year, lots of "rolling" terrain with rapid variability. The problem for you is that it is the first Saturday in November. And I think you are tied up with other races in AZ. I am going to try to go slow to finish slow this year, as opposed to going really fast and not finishing. I do love that trail, though.

LB2

Occasional Runner

You should really try to break away and run Pinhoti one year, lots of "rolling" terrain with rapid variability. The problem for you is that it is the first Saturday in November. And I think you are tied up with other races in AZ. I am going to try to go slow to finish slow this year, as opposed to going really fast and not finishing. I do love that trail, though.

Yeah, I need to run that race someday. Depending on the schedule from year to year, Javelina conflicts with Pinhoti. I'll have to run Javelina for as long as I'm on the Aravaipa Race Team, but it's also a race that I tend to do well at and enjoy running. At a minimum, I would like 5 finishes before I move on. I have 3 now.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Kelly- a big congrats on earning your buckle!  I'm in awe of anyone who can complete a 100 mile event, let alone a grueling event like Leadville in under 25 hours- simply amazing

Mike

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I think your mantra for this race was spot on and helped you meet this incredible goal.  I love the picture of you and your pacer over Hope Pass.  Congrats again.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Brian Runner

Great report and congrats on meeting your time goals. You should venture back east next August for the Eastern States 100. They've created another monster in Central Pa.

dpc3

Great report and congrats on finally getting that big buckle!