Trailer Trash

Welcome Weekend Fridaily! (Read 30 times)

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Good Morning,

We made it through, and the weekend is about to start! 

It's a day off work for me, and I was looking forward to a nice run. However, all of a sudden, my foot started hurting mid-morning, a searing pain on the inside (not bottom), and I am not sure what this is. Pinched it between rocks yesterday? Pulled muscle or tendon? Something temporary, or something that needs to be addressed (with something other than a good run)?

So I'm not sure where or how long I'm going to run this morning, but I'll try. If it gets better, I'm good, if it gets worse, I'll call it a day. It's just running, right? (too bad there's something called addiction, too... )

On my run yesterday, something odd happened. I think I injured one of my discs again. I was having fun jumping over rocks, when all of a sudden, I lost about 30% of the strength and control in my left leg, and about 10% in my right leg. I know the feeling, as I've had severe disc issues with stenosis and partial paralysis before. So on the last 4 miles of my run, I was worried at each and every step that my leg would just give out, and I'd fall flat on the ground, onto the nice, sharp PA rocks  without being able to do anything about it. Luckily that did not happen, and things seem fine now, but I know something is going on, and I'll have to be on the lookout and not run too hard or too long for a while until the disc has settled and absorbed. Bummer.

QOTD: pass.

Enjoy the day, runners!

Run for fun.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

^ double ouch; hope both issues are resolved quickly!

appears we're going to get a nice shot of Indian Summer- highs the next several days in the mid 60's to low 70's with sun- Wow!

had a really nice run yesterday after work 6-ish miles, narrowly missed a torrential downpour   going to get in another 6-ish this evening

in the news, a Conrad (MT) teacher won the Ultra Grand Slam

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/story/outdoors/2015/09/16/conrad-teacher-wins-grand-slam-ultrarunning/32511111/

qotd: weekend plans?  I'm going to get a nice mountain long run in and probably a shorter one, not sure if I'm going to run long Sat or Sun

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

LB2

I got a good night's rest last night. I am running 6 hours tonight, and after yesterday at work, I needed the sleep and definitely need the run. I should be able to mentally go to another place.

QOTD: Cutting some tight areas with the push mower after work, running six hours tonight, cutting the rest of the grass in the morning when i wake up. Sip whiskey while watching LSU vs. Auburn at 2:30 PM tomorrow. And I will run two five milers on Sunday.

LB2

runtraildc

Morning folks! Will get in 4-5 miles along the trails by the pool this afternoon.  swimming has started up again and today is my day to carpool. I asked for this day since it will allow me a late afternoon run in the woods before dark, except in the depths of winter.  And the construction work along the creek in one of my routes will be completed in the next month or so (hopefully).  It'll be nice to run these trails since it has been going on since late last winter.

And Couch-- maybe your body is telling you to take a day off?  I hope things are better soon!

qotd:  nothing big or exciting and I'm looking forward to a laid back weekend.  probably a few errands, some cooking and a run each day.

NHLA

6 miles 49 min.  Walked up to 2600' and ran around and down Echo Mt.  Almost all downhill.

qotd  yard work and running trails.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Nice read, warden. This seems to be a speedy fast ultra runner!

Fun thing is, he is using the same strategies as most of us who still have small children. 

QOTD: It's a football weekend in my town, which means - work. Lots of hours, starting at 2 a.m. in the morning to prepare foods for tailgating.

To give an impression, Beaver Stadium is the second largest football stadium in America, with more than 107,000 seats, and they usually sell out. Which means, lots of visitors to our 40,000 residents town, and they all need food and drinks, oftentimes "specialties" as a treat.

However, I usually love working on football weekends, as it gets really crazy busy. We all strive to work as fast and precisely as possible, and the crews really work as a team, which makes it fun.

Run for fun.

Daydreamer1

I might get out for 6 miles today. If I do, about 4 miles will be running, the rest walking with DW.

QOTD: Work tonight until 6 am tomorrow.  Might pick up my packet tomorrow night for my Sunday marathon. Other than that it'll be mostly working around the house.

XtremeTaper

I still have a full day of work before the weekend starts so I'm not quite there yet.

The Lady and I ran about 6.5 mi last night at Monocacy Hill. We mixed it up a bit and after the normal opening loop, headed up for the backside of the hill, jogged/hiked up to the viewpoint. I should have took a camera. About 20 minutes before sunset and the viewpoint looks straight west to Reading and beyond with other ridgelines ending in the horizon in the distance (20-30 miles away). The sun was just hanging over those ridges waiting to dip down. I should have timed it better to catch it setting.

Funny, lots of shenanigans going in the parking lot at the trail head when we finished up. Some large truck (Cadillac!) was idling and when they saw me return they shut it down, and sort of slithered back in their seats so I couldn't see them. Then, some small car parked next to me, I was giving the Lady some water, toweling the sweat off me, and then I started to hear voices. I looked over just as I was pulling away and saw some bodies in the back seat. Oh, to be young again.

Tonight, 7-8 miles at Coventry Woods. Bow deer season starts here tomorrow so need to break out the orange for the dog and I except for the lake trails where there is no hunting.

QOTD: Golf, running, yardwork, some college football watching and beer consumption is part of the plan.

Couch - Ouch. I hope it's nothing. Rest up for a few days or take it easy. Twice in my running lifetime I had the most awful pain in a similar place as you describe. I could not walk without pain let alone run. Then poof 7-10 days later it was gone. Never found out what it was. My usual motto is wait 3 weeks before calling the doc.

Warden - Enjoy the Indian Summer. We have that here as well though it's warmer (80's)

LB2 - Good luck and enjoy the long run. Seems LSU should have a cake walk considering Auburn needed overtime to beat that team from the state of Jacksonville.

Runtrail - Good new on getting your regular trails back.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I meant to get out of bed early this morning for a run, I swear I did.  But I didn't get up.  DW is back to running again.  We both started running in 2008 and she has been very on and off again - mostly off again.  But she is doing a C25K program on her iphone.  She says to me the other day that she needed to run either Friday or Saturday morning.  NOOOOOOOO!!!!! "I have been running consistently (mostly) for those 7+ years and you want to take up MY running time!" I kept that in my head but really wanted to say it.  So we compromised and I said I would get up even earlier to run since I am used to running in the dark and she won't.  But then I just laid in bed anyways....  So it will be either gym time tonight or a run.

Couch - I have no desire to be anywhere near State College on game days.  DW and I try and make it up for a women's volleyball game each year but purposely do not pick games that are on the same days as a home football game.  I don't like the crowds.  I can only imagine how busy your store is.

DD - Good Luck this weekend! Looks like great weather for you.

QOTD: DS soccer game, stuff around the house as usual, hopefully get in a couple good runs.

Have a great weekend!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Daydreamer1

Funny, lots of shenanigans going in the parking lot at the trail head when we finished up. Some large truck (Cadillac!) was idling and when they saw me return they shut it down, and sort of slithered back in their seats so I couldn't see them. Then, some small car parked next to me, I was giving the Lady some water, toweling the sweat off me, and then I started to hear voices. I looked over just as I was pulling away and saw some bodies in the back seat. Oh, to be young again.

Been seeing some of that type of activity on the mountain close to home. Caught a few glimpses of those involved. Same female different guys. Based on some of the crap they leave laying around afterwards I'd say it's all just a business meeting .  That wouldn't really bother me except for the junk left behind.  After seeing just a little bit of the female , I must say that there have to be some desperate guys out there .

AT-runner

Tim

2 hours in the woods yesterday. Ran a loop that had me on the AT for part of it. Nice weather and a good run. Saw only 1 person the whole time and she was at a shelter packing up.  Must be fall soon because got hit by my first acorn of the season. I'm sure it won't be the last.

Marie - Beaver stadium should only hold about 80,000 people but they squeeze 107,000 on to those bench "seats". By far the most uncomfortable place to see football in the country. Good luck with all the crazed fans.

QOTD:  Run tomorrow and Sunday we go on vacation to Long Beach, NY. At the end of the week we have a family wedding on Long Island, so we're combining the two events.  Now I just have to find some places to run (besides the beach).

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Again a short run with the mutts this am...not seeming to get out of bed too well lately.  Was wide awake at 5 am and should have gotten up and go but no and now it's 7 AM.    I realized on my run I haven't done a long run since my end of July race so I think I need to sign up for something and get training.  Gym at lunch..lower body workout.

On a side note I have a neighbor who moved in and starting writing  nasty letters to all the neighbors with dogs.  Come on lady this is the county, we can have pigs, goats, horse, and cows here.   So a new neighbor moved directly across the road from her and started digging in their yard.  Last night I saw what they were building, a motocross track for their kid to ride his motorcycle on.     karma's a bitch...I've been tinkled pink since then.

QOTD:  Before seeing MT I was going to say I enjoy the what are you doing this weekend questions for Fridays.   I think it should be our standards.   Maybe Monday can be How was your weekend?

Anywho...the old man is at a swap meet so I am going out for drinks with the girls tonight.  Saturday is a run with the dogs, yard and house work.  Sunday we are going to ride the quads in the mountains.  We may also fit in The Black Mask  movie.

FTYC:  That's scary and I hope it's a temporary thing.

Daydreamer:  Good luck on your marathon..

LB:  Your flip belt...would it hold a camera?

Jaime:  bummer...but also cool she is running again.   At least now you don't have to feel guilty running because she does it too.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Watoni

Taking today off ... going for a run soon, hopefully a 90 minute trail shuffle setting me up for a longish run tomorrow. Then maybe a bike ride Smile

NorthernHarrier

appears we're going to get a nice shot of Indian Summer- highs the next several days in the mid 60's to low 70's with sun- Wow!

Well Mike, I don't think it can be Indian summer when it is still officially summer.   Just sayin'.

Back at the cabin for the next few days. It's where I belong! Actually started looking for work the last week or so. Not cool. Did so far get hired for a seasonal position that will start in a few weeks but looking still for something a little better. Don't want anything too good as I'll need to quit again down the road.

QOTD-- A trail half-marathon in Marquette Mi. tomorrow morning. Along Lake Superior and some of the climbs in the adjacent wilds. I have run some of those trails in the past so it should be a beautiful run this time of year.  Otherwise a little mtn. biking and a hike with DW thru a Hemlock natural area.  Perfect weather up here right now.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

7.5 miles easy peasy on rolling hills, not technical at all. Miraculously, the foot stopped hurting after less than 1/10 of a mile, and my back/legs did not bother me for the first 4 or 5. Then I felt a bit of a weakness, but it did not get worse, so on the last 3 miles I put everything I still had in the tank out on the road there, and I had a blast.

Which, once again, proves that there's not much that a good run won't settle. 

Queen: Funny story. Maybe, if you promise a BBQ dinner, you can talk the new neighbors into letting you "practice" with your quads on their dirt track...

Jamie: Dang. Why do they always say that sharing a passion benefits the marriage? 

Taper: Maybe it's your shirtless running that leads people into temptation...

AT: Oh, and I always wondered what they meant by "renovation" of the stadium to increase the number of seats.

DD1: It's all just business, right, so looks don't matter. 

Harrier: Welcome back, stranger! Sounds like a great race. Works, isn't that just for killing time in between runs?

Run for fun.