Trailer Trash

Thinking Thursdaily (Read 42 times)

LB2

I will probably run 5 dark miles through the woods tonight. I have a couple of things to tend to after work, so I will be running late.

QOTD: What determines which races you choose to run?

Timing, distance, price, and amount of single track trail.

LB2

AT-runner

Tim

I'l run later when the snow starts falling, right now I'm going car shopping.  My 2006 Honda Ridgeline has served me well but is having some major issues with age (likes it's owner).  I get attached to my vehicles, so it will be sad to see this one go.

QOTD:  Timing and scenery are big factors and I like to explore new places.  I have a few that I do every year (like Labor Pains) just to see some old trail friends.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

moonlightrunner

Probably no run today. I am working 12 today...and it is just too damn cold by 9pm.  I am a pansy....I'll admit that. Temps and wind chills below 0. I don't know how some of u function (Warden?) with temps normally that low.

qotd: factors are location , cost and I never run on roads. I don't even like fire roads.  And I don't like loop courses.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Morning Trailers!  will get in 5-ish this evening, weather is holding nicely Smile

^ when it starts hovering around 0 I often bag it as well Big grin

qotd: scenery probably ranks number one, location number two (not a ton of races in Montana)

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

sugnim

Good morning all.  I got in a nice 8 miles yesterday and will probably have to take a rest day today.  I'm working late--again--and my sister will be coming to visit from out of state, so I'll need to make sure the house looks nice.

QOTD:  This year, I won't be racing at all since it is an unnecessary expense with a new baby.  Prior to this year, I looked for races that sounded fun, went through interesting areas, and were affordable.   Truth be told, I have signed up for some races just because there was a post-race barbecue.  I run for fun and am not realistically competitive, so racing has to be fun for me too.

sugnim

qotd: scenery probably ranks number one, location number two (not a ton of races in Montana)

You just need to move to a different part of Montana--it seems like there is a race almost every other weekend in Missoula!  If you haven't seen these websites yet, you might be able to find more races near you at runmt.com or 406running.com.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Morning all,

I missed my run last night due to being a hung over piece of crap.  It's nice to let the pace bunny get a lead anyways.  The plan is for 6 tonight on (hopefully) snowy sidewalks.

QOTD: I guess the easiest thing for me is to run through the spring/summer lineup:

Cupid's Chase 5k: roads, 3rd time doing it, nice test to see where I'm at in the late winter, my fiance likes doing this race also.

Lost Brook 10 miler: trails, 2nd time doing it, I consider this a home course and I feel like I could win if the fast guys oversleep.

RE 5k: roads, 2nd time doing it, this is held on the streets I run my daily mileage on

Ironmasters: trail 50k, 2nd time doing it, this one is a haul but it is worth it for the change of scenary.  Also I feel like I could be competetive if a the fast guys get the flu.

NM 5k: roads, 4th time doing it, this is the first race I ever ran, it has been a PR every time, very close to home

Manitou's Revenge: 56 miles on trails, this race has been calling to me since I found out it existed, I am intrigued by the claims of difficulty and I want to know how hard it really is.

**Ask me about streaking**

Occasional Runner

I'll do some walking today to keep my legs loose. My feet hurt quite a bit, so they're going to be my limiting factor for a few days. I'll go for a proper trail run tomorrow and check everything out.

QOTD: I have a formula for building my race schedule that dictates the types of races I can run at certain times. Excluding that, I focus on location when deciding.

ceezy

I need a rest day.

I think I want a couple of good runs this weekend and the weather is supposed to be bad Friday, so I might have an easy 5 today and rest tomorrow. We'll see. Feel so sluggish and tired today.

Hope everyone has some good runs.

Daydreamer1

I was going to hit the gym this morning but I'm lacking motivation and I'm putting up a steel ceiling in my garage that's taking longer then anticipated. Now I'll probably hit the bike trainer and elliptical later this afternoon or evening.

QOTD: A variety of factors come into play. In no particular order these are: location, work schedule, difficulty, scenery and distance. In the past I've been attracted to the more difficult ones but now I'm looking more at some of the easier ones.

runtraildc

Morning!  Yesterday ended up being a rest day, ending my holiday streak.  I very much need yoga so I'll be heading to a class at lunch today.  MIght get in a few miles with DS later.  we'll see.

qotd:  It's a mix of all factors- timing, cost, travel and family impact. I'm still toying with a few ideas for this year, but have not yet committed to anything.  But again, I don't race ultras so my training schedule is probably a lot more flexible.

Low_O2

Happy New year!

I got in a great run up and down the La Luz trail yesterday with the dog. Took the steep route up so ended up with 13.4 instead of 14 miles to start 2014. It was a beautiful sunny day, shorts and t-shirt weather! The snow on the upper trail is nicely packed now and made for great footing with the new microspikes my wife gave me for Christmas. Not sure if I will run today or not, I'll see how I feel after work.

QOTD: Biggest factor is the course, I prefer high altitude, lots of climbing and single track. Other than that if it is convenient and/or cheap I may jump into races I am less excited about.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I did not get up and run this am but may go for a quickie at noon.  (Remeber when we were young that meant something else)

QOTD:  Distance and location and terrian...single track in the woods.  I try to do races when the husband is out of town but most the time it doesn't work out.  I have been doing less races...2 last year only.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

DigDug2

Happy new year, all!  6 on the TM at lunchtime at work, getting ready for Hercules to roll in this evening.

QOTD:  I've just made a tentative calendar of my 2014 race plan through June.  Main factors are location (within a 2 hour drive, usually), distance (5M to 15M or so) and trails.  I've ruled out a few that are either too flat/boring or too 'scrambly'.  For some reason, I can't find any good races in March in the northeast - everyone must be skiing or snowshoeing.

XtremeTaper

I hit the roads today at lunch for 7.5-8 miles. Ok run. It felt colder than the 28 degrees on the thermometer due to a chilly wind from the north. It wasn't a very strong wind but it just felt exceptionally cold. Still, I ran in shorts. Hercules is coming so they say but only 6" of snow forecast here followed by very cold temps for a day or two. Naming winter storms is stupid if you ask me.

QOTD: I don't run too many races these days but things that factor into my decision are location, course, and timing. I prefer races within driving distances (up to 6  hours), or if out of state something near my family or work destinations so that I can combine a work/family trip with the race. I prefer single loop, point to point courses, mostly on trails and not fire roads so I look for those first.

In dog beers, I've only had one.