Trailer Trash

Wet and Wild Weekend! (Read 23 times)

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Planning a little jiggly jog of 5 to 6 soon.  It's cold out there and wet.

QOTD:  Retirement what does it look like?  We just bought an Airstream trailer , plan on selling the house and traveling again fir probably a year, then find a cool town to live in.   Retirement then just means more time to garden, run, read, crafts, and most likely a oart-time job or volunteer work at a dog shelter.

Sandy:  My husband is heDing to Aledo to pick up the trailer... any where near you?

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Sandy-2

Hi Sue, nope Aledo is up near Ft. Worth which is about a 4 hr drive from me.  LB2 over in Louisiana might be closer!!!

Got up very early and did 20 mi, probably the quickest 20 I've done in a year. Of cource still kinda slow campared to my old marathon days, but it still felt really good.

qotd:  we were thinking of doing the RV thing too, but not confirmed.  One thing though, we need to move some place cooler with 4 seasons. But maybe not really long winters, but some sort of winter season.

tbd.

AT-runner

Tim

Ran 12 miles with 10 on trails and last 2 very fast tempo on logging road.  I felt really good today, as in best run in a long time.  Going to do 6-8 miles on the road tonight and 20 miler tomorrow. Training season in full peak. 

Queen - Love Airstreams, especially the vintage ones. What year?

QOTD:  I've heard of this retirement thing, but probably 8-10 years off for us. The health insurance thingie is what messes up the numbers. I have plans drawn up for a Tiny House, and would love to build it within next dew years.  Then we also plan on driving around to see this great country.  Now if kids ever decide to settle down and produce grandkids, that might change everything, as I have no plans on being a 1-2 time per year granddad.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Daydreamer1

Getting in a little activity at work. With carrying a couple of people, working out by throwing one of the 5 gal water jugs around, some pushups, planks, washing a vehicle, my watch says I've hit 50% of my daily goal. Looks like I'll be making some laps in the station bays later.

QOTD: Not really sure.  The complicating factor is that DW is 8 years older then me. She can retire in 5 years. For me it's 13 years or 15 to get full SS benefits. A few years ago the plan was for me to semi-retire at age 60. The problem is the health insurance. What I wanted to do was travel in the summer and spend some time working in national parks especially Denali.  DW often thought that she would like to move to eastern TN and work at Dollywood on a part time basis. Considering that we really like the area I could see us doing that.  In the end though we will probably stay living where we are now.  We keep stashing money in the retirement accounts hoping that we can travel a lot.

runtraildc

Happy weekend, folks. Got in 6 miles with the group this morning. Today's loop ended with a mile uphill.  Another runner and I paced each other nicely in this section, otherwise I might have been lazy and run slow.

qotd: I need to go back to work before thinking about retirement, which is a long ways off regardless. I think DH will retire before I do, just as I think once I go back to working, I won't want to end soon. (It's fine with kids now, being home for the last couple of years, but I think I would get bored quickly just on our own.)

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Ended up with six miles and got snowed on 

AT:  it's a 2015 25 foot international...surprised the old man didn't want vibtage but seeing that we will be living in it awhiled comfirt and functionality is most important.

DD:  i hear TN is one if the best places to retire financial and tax wise.

Ya health insurance; who knows what that is going to look like in a year.

jonferg67

Endless trails

Hi everyone, remember me.

Can I still play with you folks? I hope everyone is doing well, might take me

little while to catch up.

I'm beginning my ascent out of hell. I've spent the last year or so sinking deeper

into a dark depression, where I'd withdrawn from just about everything. Nothing

remotely close to this had ever happened to me, the only missing was an actual

plan. I suppose sometimes you have to go through what you must to get to the

other side. I'm not quite out of the woods yet, but I can certainly see the clearing.

I've been doing short hikes with the dog, but this morning I put on the ol train runners

and went for a run. After 6 months of relative inactivity the first few climbs were tough, but

oh so sweet. I only did a few miles, but I can hardly describe the joy I felt. Running, especially

on trails alone, has always been and clearly still remains a source of deep peace for me.

I'm quite happy to be back.

QOTD: I'm fortunate that I have a small pension and lifetime health insurance due to my CG

career. I still have to work of course, but the health insurance itself is huge. DW and I have

only recently started, ie. been able to, start putting a little away toward retirement. I'd like to

still be a part of something; Board member of a non-profit kinda thing, so I could still affect

change but not be ultimately responsible.

NHLA

13 miles Estatoe Trail. Nice day!  mowed the yard.

qotd  We live in the best place. Whenever I go out of town I just want to come home.  Insurance is over $2000 a mo so mabe we will retire after 65.

AT-runner

Tim

Jon, we've asked about you many times. Sorry to hear you are still fighting depression and glad you are on way back. We're here for you, man. Send a PM if you need to vent, I have a good ear.

Welcome back to the trails and the forum. 

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

jonfer- welcome back!  glad to hear your on the road heading up 

nice training outing today; Kevin and I (he'll likely be partnering up with me for this year's Bob Open- I did it with two years ago, last year he was injured) decided to give Casey Peak a go- about 14 miles out and back with about 5000' of gain.  we knew we would be on snowshoes for at least part of the trip, turned out to be closer to half.  we hit some really bad snow that found us floundering up to ours waists 

we ended making it to the top, took a short lunch break and headed back- very good training outing.

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

LB2

I am so happy to see you back with us Jon. Hang in there.

I had a heck of a week in Colorado last week. I took some epic spills, but I ran pretty well on the snow packed trails up to Nymph Lake, around 9800 feet. We climbed the Flatirons in Boulder. We made our own little route below, around, and above Red Rocks. That "route" was mainly because DD miscalculated her navigation. We ended up doing about 15 miles that day, mostly hiking. When we came out, I slipped down a hill in the snowy mud and just really busted it. It knocked the wind out of me. My daughter was caught somewhere between crying and laughing. I told her I wish she would have had a video of the fall. It was solid. I have big bruise on my back, lucky I did not break a rib. The next morning, I tripped on a root while running fast and took an even worse fall. My whole arm from wrist to elbow looks like it got caught under a belt sander. We had a great time, and it was good to just spend some time with her in the mountains. I don't know how many feet of elevation gain I got, but it was a ton. And we got to eat at Hops and Pie. By far, that was the best pizza I have ever eaten in my life. We also ate at the Avery Brewery, which was likely the best cheeseburger I have ever eaten. It was a great week.

I'll run 3 to 5 today on my trails, which will put me over 40 miles for the week.

QOTD: My wife and I both have good retirement plans through our jobs. But I will always do something. I think I may get my real estate license in a year or two and dabble in that for some extra income to supplement retirement.

LB2

NorthernHarrier

All I did was 19 yesterday. These long runs are a lot harder than I remember, or maybe I am just getting older. IDK. I am still way ahead of schedule so hopefully they will become a little more manageable. Right now though it is not good. Planning to do a restful 4-5 on trails after a lot of coffee(rich, dark, hot, and straight).

Jonfer--great to hear from you again!

Mike--I was looking at the snotel site a couple days ago--just to confirm what you already know but there is some really, really deep snow out there. 

QOTD--What does it look like? As long as I keep DW working it looks great! This health insurance thing is brutal as we all know.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Hmmm everythig tasted so good in Colorado....were you taking part in some legal use of marijuana? 😉

And we got to eat at Hops and Pie. By far, that was the best pizza I have ever eaten in my life. We also ate at the Avery Brewery, which was likely the best cheeseburger I have ever eaten. It was a great week.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Welcome back to the site and trail running   😅  Both good for the sole!

jonferg67

Endless trails

Welcome back to the site and trail running   😅  Both good for the sole!

Indeed!

Thank you all for the warm welcome back.

I did a short trail run this morning, short bc ITB is tight. I know the fix for that, and I know I can

run through it without causing damage. The weather today was perfect for running.