Trailer Trash

First Annual February Philly Fat Ass 40k (Feb 3rd) (Read 44 times)

Phillyfatass

Date – Sunday, February 3rd, 2013

Start time – 6:38 am (civil twilight sunrise)

Location – Beginning of Forbidden Drive Trail (Get Directions)

Course – 4x10k trail loop in North Wissahickon. Exact course TBD – most likely similar to the Wissahickon Trail Classic 10k - http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/99107643. Exact course map will be posted by January 30th.

Fat Ass Disclaimer - This is not a race or organized run.  There is no support, no trail markings, no entry fee, no prizes, etc.

10k, 20k, 30k options – Feel free to run only run the course once, twice, or three times.

Self-support – Bring everything you need to complete the run. If you park at the start, then you’ll run by your car every lap. Plan B – There is also a coffee shop at the start.

Amenities - There is a port-a-john located at the S/F courtesy of the City Of Brotherly Love.

jmctav23

2/3rds training

In for 20k, but damn thats an early start.

any guess as to how many folks show up?

andrew.albright

In for 20k, but damn thats an early start.

any guess as to how many folks show up?

I think that rationale is that most local groups that run long in the Wissahickon seem to do so with early start times.  And it starts to get a bit crowded in the morning.

What pace are you running?  I'm going to aim for my hilly 50k pace which is 10:30-11:00mpm (I did 30k last weekend and the first 15k was 9:45 which was too fast).  If you were going to do 20k, you could of course start a couple of hours later when people are coming through on later laps.

As far as how many people might show - no idea.  I'd imagine there will be a definite few of us.  But it might just be a few.

skeene07

Dirty Girl

Important question...is the course marked? Im from York and have never been over there but have heard about the Forbidden Drive Trail. Oh and I am super slow so cant depend on sticking with others.

http://staceyrunsandeats.blogspot.com/

4/13 Bull Run Run 50 miler- DONE!

I run with this group occasionally, but I run these trails every weekend. It's usually a varied group of paces. Not sure about the course being marked, but the trails are very well marked.

I might be in for 30k, depending on other plans that weekend. 6:38 is really early for me.

jmctav23

2/3rds training

I think that rationale is that most local groups that run long in the Wissahickon seem to do so with early start times.  And it starts to get a bit crowded in the morning.

What pace are you running?  I'm going to aim for my hilly 50k pace which is 10:30-11:00mpm (I did 30k last weekend and the first 15k was 9:45 which was too fast).  If you were going to do 20k, you could of course start a couple of hours later when people are coming through on later laps.

As far as how many people might show - no idea.  I'd imagine there will be a definite few of us.  But it might just be a few.

Makes sense.  As far as pace I have no idea, never run the trails there.  I just ran an 8 mile loop at French creek with a moderate amount of elevation change and fairly rocky trails at 8:50 average pace but it was work.  I think I'll just take it easy on the first lap, try to get behind somebody who knows the trail and then see how I feel for the second one and take it up a notch if need be.  This will be my first trail "race" and first "race" over 10k so no need to rush.

jbyram2

Eat to run, Run to eat

Oh, Dang, it's on Sunday, and I've got church commitments.

Long trail run day is Saturday for me.

Stone Mill 50m 11/16/13  12:42

Febapple Frozen 50k 2/22/14  9:20:55

DIrty German 50m 5/18/14 12:06:16

skeene07

Dirty Girl

Oh boo. I just realized that I am doing a little trail half marathon (Squirrelly Tail) the same day.

http://staceyrunsandeats.blogspot.com/

4/13 Bull Run Run 50 miler- DONE!

Occasional Runner

Before I moved to Utah, I lived right next to this trail system and ran it almost daily. The trails never get crowded with runners but there's a lot of mountain bike traffic. The trails are marked, but the markings are only useful if you're familiar with the trail system of have a map. There are a lot of intersecting trails in the area. The majority of the traffic is on Forbidden Drive, which is a roadway, not a trail. It's a nice set of trails and I always enjoyed running there. This may be a good chance to explore the area if you've never been. I'm not a fan of fat ass races, so even if I still lived there, I wouldn't run it, but if you're into that kind of thing, it's a great spot for it.

mecrowe

Computer Geek

Could someone define what a "fat-ass" race is?

under a rock

Could someone define what a "fat-ass" race is?

Fat-Ass races are informal races that are self supported by the runners themselves, either carry it with you or people chip in to fill the aid stations. It's a great opportunity to get out and "race" others without having to pay big bucks. Most fat-ass races are on trails and usually have ultra distances.

mecrowe

Computer Geek

Fat-Ass races are informal races that are self supported by the runners themselves, either carry it with you or people chip in to fill the aid stations. It's a great opportunity to get out and "race" others without having to pay big bucks. Most fat-ass races are on trails and usually have ultra distances.

Thanks Fraggle!

andrew.albright

Important question...is the course marked? Im from York and have never been over there but have heard about the Forbidden Drive Trail. Oh and I am super slow so cant depend on sticking with others.

I personally wouldn't drive all the way out from York for a first year fatass training run!   But to answer your questions - the course will not be marked.  The course will be similar if not the same to Wissahickon Trail Classic 10k course: http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/99107643.    There should be a printable map up early next week on the race's blog.

The trails are all very well established and there's no chance of getting lost.   As lace_up points out the main difficulty will be staying on the right trail in some places.  On the north side there are a lot of trails packed into a tight area.

Depending on how many people show, it would be good if several different groups ran the first lap together. But there may not be any more than a handful of people.

jmctav23

2/3rds training

anybody know how to convert a mapmyrun map/course into a garmin connect course so I can throw this on my watch before I show up?  I have accounts with both but so far I'm stumped.

andrew.albright

anybody know how to convert a mapmyrun map/course into a garmin connect course so I can throw this on my watch before I show up?  I have accounts with both but so far I'm stumped.

I don't know how to do that.  I ran the course on my garmin.  Would that be useful?

also I see a printable map is up on the blog.