Trailer Trash

Falling Silent Fridaily (Read 26 times)

moonlightrunner

Last night I had the rare opportunity to go for a long run after work with no time constraints nor the feeling I really should be home sooner than later. I set out on a 9 mile route at the state park. It was cool, clody and damp from rain on and off all day. Colors are not at their peak here, but the brilliant yellow of the hickory trees overhead and sprinkled throughout the understory looked a little like bursts of flame in the fading light. As I ran alone through the woods I was struck by the silence. There was the occasional scurry of a chipmunk or squirrel, diving for cover and errupting in warning chatter as I passed, the crack of brush as a doe bounded away, and a very occasional bird call. But for the most part...silence. A "waiting" silence. As light faded the woods turned a deep dusk, punctuated still by yellow fire. With 3 miles or so yet to go, I heard the distant rumble of thunder. The sound broke on the silence gently, and steadily grew closer. Soon, the thunder was close and brought with it lightening, which lot up the dusky sky. With a Mile to go the wind came up and large drops of cold rain came down, first a smatter, but quickly a torrent. The thunder now directly overhead, the whipping wind and soaking rain provided the perfect end to a perfect run.

Qotd: pass.

I hope everyone has a great day!

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

LB2

That is some great imagery, moonlight. It reminds me of Yeats. The Lake Isle of Innisfree is my favorite Yeats work. That is good stuff. I have to go to the dentist, which I hate. He is just x-raying and formulating a plan of attack for next week's procedure: extraction or root canal? I'll probably get it taken out and do a bridge. Anyway, I plan to run 10 after the dentist and the grocery store. I should be somewhere between 80 and 100 miles by Sunday evening, probably 90ish. My legs are still feeling fresh with quite a few miles this week. That is a good sign. I should probably leave well enough alone at 80 miles, but I probably won't.

QOTD: What is the highest weekly total of mileage you have ever done?

I think around 80 or 85, but I've done 90 to 100 in 8 days a few times.

LB2

AT-runner

Tim

Moon - I really liked that.

Burke - good luck with the taper madness.

SRD today. Not sire what we are doing, but a later but long run tomorrow in the woods.

QOTD:  Assuming not a race week, then I've cracked 100 on two different training cycles. After the second time I wondered why I did it since It left me sore and tired. Right after that, I switched to a 5 day running week, so it's hard to  get those numbers now.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

OBMedic

I've been a little MIA recently due to a buddies wedding preceded and followed by a tremendous lack of motivation. I'm a little concerned that I'm already dealing with a motivation issue this early into my 50 miler training. I haven't even added much mileage yet. Rest day today but I had a good run yesterday that hopefully will help bring me out of this funk. I did 8.5 miles with just under 1600 feet of total elevation gain up to just over 4500 feet. 1200 feet of the elevation was in a continuous 2 mile climb and my legs felt great the whole time. I would have kept climbing but it was getting late and I was not dressed for how the temperature was starting to drop in the mountains.

QOTD: Up until recently I really haven't tracked my mileage but probably right around 40-50. I seem to naturally settle into about 20-25 mile weeks when I'm not training for anything specific though. I know it's way low compared to some of y'all and I'm hoping to maintain 35-40 mile weeks after this training program is done.

Upcoming Races

Nutcracker 12 hour- 12/15/15 (Depending on Work Schedule)

Everglades Ultras 50M- 2/20/16

Black Mountain Monster 24 hour- May 2016

www.alwaysmoretogive.com

Occasional Runner

8 miles this morning with a mix of trails and road, followed by lifting some heavy shit...repeatedly.

I'm running a local 50k tomorrow as my last long run before heading down to FL for a 100 miler. I'm only running that race so I can beat Burke.

QOTD: 275 on a B2B race week and 135 on a non racing week.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Good to have you back, Moon Smile

I might run some after work tonight.  Meh.  Who knows.  It's going to be the quintessential fall weekend here -- 50s and sunny.  I have a new pack arriving in the mail tonight, so I'm hoping to take it out on a nice hike.

QOTD: Low 70s during a race week (100K) and in training somewhere around 60-65.  Those numbers all seem very impossible to me now.

Running is dumb.

muppy

6.1 road miles.

Moonlight, sounds like a perfect run!

QOTD I  Think I hit upper 50's before,  but I only run five days a week.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

moonlight- very nice! Smile  My hill repeats started a little late and our last round was nearly dark, everyone was off the mountain- very quiet and peaceful as we came down (although also a wee bit tentative as I went down on this stretch a couple of weeks ago- in broad daylight no less and got bloodied up pretty good )

legs are good and sore, so will strength train this evening

qotd: probably near the 50 mile mark; I usually only run 4 days a week which keeps the totals down- typically 30-35

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Gator eye

Rest day.

Moon- I could almost feel the drops.

QOTD: 109 on a race week. 85 on a training week

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Hard to drag ass out of bed today so I got in a little 2.67 with the mutts.  At first I was just going to walk them; and then said you might as well run.  We ran in our neighbor's woods which made me think of blargendarg running circles in his yard.  I was running up one little leg, turn around and another then a little circle etc.  It was a bit crazy but I thought maybe it's easier for him since he has a loop and just goes round and round and round.  Going to gym at lunch.

QOTD:  I don't know but I would guess no more than 60 miles. Which either was the week of my 50 miler, or was a week where I did a long run on Sunday and then on Saturday.  I just check my log and it shows a report for distance per week.  So my longest was 65 and it wasn't the race week.  Looks like I average 25 miles.

moonlight:  You nailed it!  as in that sounds like such a wonderful run...so peaceful...bet you felt awesome the rest of the day.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

runtraildc

Hi all!  Got in 8.5 miles in rock creek this morning.  The first half was slow as I was flagging the trail for the running club's trail run tomorrow.  And of course, because I run these trails all the time, I really had to think about where I was going as I needed to stick to the main trail and not take any of the spurs/scenic routes that I usually take.  And yes, I got off course and had to back track.   Was a beautiful day for it, though.

qotd:  Oh, I think I may have broken 30 once or twice.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Got in a few miles last night, legs not feeling great which has me 

QOTD: I don't know.  If I had to guess I would say 65-70 during a race week (including a 50 miler) but probably no more than mid 50's any other week.  I don't have enough time to run the kind of mileage that some of you do.  Too much to do...

Have a great weekend!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Crazy day at work, but I winged it and succeeded - barely alive, but still kicking!

Now I'm getting ready for some more fun miles in the autumn sun, before Snow will hit tomorrow. 

moon: I read your running report early this morning and thought what a wonderful evening run you had! Thanks for sharing this with us, it reminds us of why we run on the trails.

LB2: Dang the teeth. Always painful, even just to think about it. Hope you'll get out of it well.

AT: Enjoy the rest!

Medic: Nah, no motivation hole. Just a lazy day. Enjoy the mountains, they are your friends!

lace: Good luck for your race long run tomorrow! 

mandy: New schlepp container, how fun! Which model?

Muppy: Road, eh? You are risking getting banned from here, ya know. 

warden: No pain, no gain? Good luck with the strength training on the sore legs... 

Gator: Enjoy while it lasts!

Queen: If mini laps is what it's gotta be, then that is what it is. I sometimes have to resort to this training method, too, when I can't get the boys out on their bikes and join me on a run. Then it's just mini loops around the parking lot at the park, and maybe (if the boycicles behave well) a long lap of 0.5 miles. Yeah!

traildc: Sounds like fun. And you did not get off course, you were just scouting out the alternative routes that one or another runner might take during the race! 

Jamie: Maybe the legs are just screaming out for more miles... 

QOTD: 75 a couple times in preparation for ES and MMT. All on technical trail, no road, and lots of elevation gain. I enjoyed it and wished I could do that more often.

65 in a "for fun" week.

Run for fun.

some call me Tim

just goes round and round and round. 

You got that right, Queen! Lately it's become so familiar that I just do it automatically and my mind can wander. Could be worse!

Big thumbs up,  moonlight. Very evocative.

I actually got out to run some trails with a friend today. It doesn't see a ton of traffic and the fallen leaves just erased the trail. There are blazes, but we kept getting lost and finding new spurs I'd never seen before. It was fun.

Then I came back home to a message from Eric from URP that he'd used one of my band's tunes as the closing track on his most recent podcast, an interview with Mike Foote. Stoked!

qotd: I've hit low 60s a couple of times, but I think that's about it.

Have a great day y'all

moonlightrunner

Qotd: 70 miles...during my perfect summer of running 2013.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k