Trailer Trash

Massanutten 100 Race Report (Read 27 times)

Keep Going

If anyone is interested on my feelings of MMT or may wish to run the race here she is. At mile 72 around 2 am I vowed to quit running forever so yeah she broke me good but I got back up and since then found myself in love with this race, strange how that works.

MMT100 Report

100 milers are my favorite

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Thanks for the report. I've heard a lot about this race and you brought it to life.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

XtremeTaper

Hey Keystone, great to see you out there and you looked fresh and happy when I saw you at Shawl. Your report brings back a lot of memories for me and some of our tough places are the same. Kerns was always so tough. I was up there in a heavy thunderstorm one year (old course, as it was daylight) and then at night the following year. Patience is needed up there. It's demoralizing. Waterfall mountain too. It's laughable parts of that climb but it's so green and lovely if you run it daylight. One year I did, the other year dawn was just breaking.

Anyways, sorry to hijack your story. Congrats and welcome to the MMT family. I've been down there 7 of the last 9 years either pacing, running, or volunteering. It's sort of like the hotel California to me. So funny about the deer. I thought the weather most of the day was about perfect for running in the mountains. That first rain showers must have felt good. Did you get a second rain out there? As I was leaving to head home around 5pm it looked dark over the mountain.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

LB2

Looks like a great course. It is probably one I would enjoy.

LB2

Keep Going

Hey Keystone, great to see you out there and you looked fresh and happy when I saw you at Shawl. Your report brings back a lot of memories for me and some of our tough places are the same. Kerns was always so tough. I was up there in a heavy thunderstorm one year (old course, as it was daylight) and then at night the following year. Patience is needed up there. It's demoralizing. Waterfall mountain too. It's laughable parts of that climb but it's so green and lovely if you run it daylight. One year I did, the other year dawn was just breaking.

Anyways, sorry to hijack your story. Congrats and welcome to the MMT family. I've been down there 7 of the last 9 years either pacing, running, or volunteering. It's sort of like the hotel California to me. So funny about the deer. I thought the weather most of the day was about perfect for running in the mountains. That first rain showers must have felt good. Did you get a second rain out there? As I was leaving to head home around 5pm it looked dark over the mountain.

Dave it was awesome to meet you! No you didn't hijack my story not at all! Thank you for welcoming me to the family! It certainly felt like a very close nit group but the love they dished out down there made me speechless. The weather temperature wise was perfect for almost the entire thing! So glad it was not hot and humid like last year or I would have had real problems. The rain was so refreshing when I saw you at Shawl and it never rained after that once it stopped. But man that cold front that came in was really tough. At Gap Creek the first time they warned us from reports that it was dropping into the thirties on Kerns and very windy. That was like you said about as demoralizing as it could be. But once you were up there nobody was going to come get you so you had to traverse that ridge. LOL oh man it was hell..

Love the hotel California reference! I totally see it!

Thanks for reading George and LB2!

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Very nice report, Keystone, and congrats on your finish!!!  That woman fixing up your feet at 4am definitely is a saint.    And very cool that you got to meet our very own XT too!

Running is dumb.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

great story Keystone...surprised Dave didn't have a beer for you.  Congratulations on your finish and beating 33!!

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Daydreamer1

Thanks for posting this Keystone, I enjoyed reading it.  Reading about all the trials, tribulations and jubilation makes me want to never do a 100 miler, do a hundred miler as soon as possible, never do a hundred miler,  do a hundred miler as soon as possible .

Seriously though, I think I could do one mentally, but physically I'm not sure.  I think I'll have to follow your example and do something like OC  or The Pine Creek Challenge first before moving up to the more difficult stuff.

AT-runner

Tim

Nice job Keystone. That deer selfie was pretty cool.

You needed some pictures showing the nice boulders of the MMT.  People are usually pretty surprised at what us Easterners run over.

Did your pole break during the race, or were you having problems with them before?

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Keep Going

Thanks for posting this Keystone, I enjoyed reading it.  Reading about all the trials, tribulations and jubilation makes me want to never do a 100 miler, do a hundred miler as soon as possible, never do a hundred miler,  do a hundred miler as soon as possible .

Seriously though, I think I could do one mentally, but physically I'm not sure.  I think I'll have to follow your example and do something like OC  or The Pine Creek Challenge first before moving up to the more difficult stuff.

HAHAHA!! You are getting it now! Life is short right? The worst that happens is you drop or get pulled. Not the end of the world really..Glad you like it Dreamer! You should give one a go! It's nuts, and will rock your world! haha...it's so much mental and in your head. If you can run a hard 50k then you physically can do a100. I have no idea how folks do MMT as their first! That course is just so cruel and relentless and the veteran runners of many other races say It' one of if not the most technical 100's in the east. I'm kindof glad I went in blind cause I just had no idea just how nasty those ridgelines really were. I hated it at 3 am but cannot wait to get back!!

Keep Going

Very nice report, Keystone, and congrats on your finish!!!  That woman fixing up your feet at 4am definitely is a saint.    And very cool that you got to meet our very own XT too!

Right? ha ha She really seemed to enjoy it! gross! Thanks for reading!

Keep Going

great story Keystone...surprised Dave didn't have a beer for you.  Congratulations on your finish and beating 33!!

HA Yeah Dave wad up with that? No beer??

Thanks for reading!

Keep Going

Nice job Keystone. That deer selfie was pretty cool.

You needed some pictures showing the nice boulders of the MMT.  People are usually pretty surprised at what us Easterners run over.

Did your pole break during the race, or were you having problems with them before?

Thanks Tim!

I strangely didn't get any pictures of those loooooong sections of boulders! I must have been busy throwing a pity party for myself!

No I lost one of the little screws that tightens down the lock thingie after you set them to the height you want. It just slowly jiggled loose and popped off. That pretty much rendered them useless. I just have to contact Leki and get another screw. Poles were a must on that course and really helped take the burden off the legs.

moonlightrunner

What an awesome training effort, race and race report. You are an inspiration! So glad it went well...it sounds like it requires toughness and you answered in spades. I really enjoyed the report.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Very nice! Congrats on getting it done.  You are well on your way to having a great year.

BTW - next time you are out to do the "Buzzards" let me know.  That is practically in my backyard.

Go get em at WE, ES and whatever else you're running this summer you crazy dude!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday