Trailer Trash

Tantalizing Tuesdaily (Read 28 times)

moonlightrunner

I so want to call into work today and just spend the day on the trail! But....I owe I owe...so  pretty soon...it is off to work I go! The weather is supposed to be cool...and I love the smell of fall in the woods!

I ran a very nice 9 last night. It sure did get really dark! It is definitely headlamp/flashlight season! I will run late tonight on the new bike path the installed on top of my favorite single track. Still pisses me off...but rather than cutting off my nose to spite my face...I will use it.

Qotd: After reading about Birdwell's recent ordeal....what life changing experience has molded your perspective of life?

For me it is a tie between my divorce and the aging of my parents. Over time I learned from the divorce that sometimes being forced down a path not of my choosing...can turn out to be a good thing. As for the aging of my parents...it prompts me to make the most out of every day right now...and hope my good health lasts.

Have a great day everyone!

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

LB2

I plan to run about a half marathon after work today on the trails.

QOTD: Without question, my accident in August of 1997 changed everything for me. I was hanging a lock on deer stand in preparation for bow season. It was hot; I was in a hurry; I chose not to tie myself off when I got up there with the stand. I strapped the stand onto the tree and stood on it like I have done hundreds of times, always with a safety rope strapped to the tree. I had already cut some shooting lanes, a bunch of saplings cut at 45% angles. They looked like pungee sticks that might be found in some sort of primitive booby trap in the jungle. I stood on the stand and yelled down to a friend who was with me, "Can you see me up in this canopy?" Before he could answer, I heard the back of the stand snap. Uh-Oh... I went through the 5 stages of grief in less than a second, and I remember each one: denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance. Acceptance came easier than I thought it would. I figured there was virtually no chance of survival, and if I did survive, I would never walk again. If the 30 foot fall didn't kill me, surely I would be impaled by the saplings. I hit the ground with a solid thud. Somehow, I was still conscious. I moved my eyes to the left and saw a sharp sapling. Just under my armpit, I saw another one. Right between my legs, I saw another one. They were everywhere, touching me. I had landed in the only position I could have to avoid impaling. Hmmm. Okay. That is good. But surely my back and/or neck is broken, and I can't seem to catch my breath. I lifted my head (bad idea) and looked down at my feet. The Nike sandals I had on were gone. I wiggled my toes. I wiggled my fingers. How can this be? Surely, I must be dead.

My buddy was freaking out. I told him to calm down and help me up. He refused. He wanted to call an ambulance to get me. I told him I was afraid that I would go into shock and die if he left me. And I think I may have. Finally, I convinced him to help me up, which is probably one of the dumbest things I have ever done in my life. I should have stayed put. Nevertheless, I had no broken bones and was fine. I consider it a miracle and a second chance from God. So, I am thankful for every single day that I take a breath. I don't concern myself with nonsense anymore. I appreciate everything, even the bad days. A bad day alive is better than a good day dead.

LB2

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

No running the last two days...been super busy.  But overall I am feeling pretty good.  I hope to get in a run tonight.

LB2 - wow...30 ft fall? Amazing. Someone was looking out for you.

QOTD: I could say that having a family has changed my life/perspective but that goes without saying.  I don't have one single event but my faith in God is my driving force behind my perspective.  I cannot lie.  I struggle to maintain a solid faith but I do maintain some semblance of it.  I have no reason not to, just my own warped thinking sometimes gets in the way (spoken like a true therapist).  Knock on wood but I haven't had any huge events in my life (i.e. death of a close loved one, near death experience, etc).

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Morning Trailers!  Will get out this evening for a 6 mile run in the hills, calling for a high of 61-perfect!

qotd: hmmmm....  30 years in law enforcement has definitely had an influence on who I am, raising two children to very respectable adults (the teenage years-aagh!) has influenced me for sure and now with two young grand children I'm quite sure they will also have a very positive influence on my life.

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

AT-runner

Tim

Finally back home after a great trip to Utah and Wyoming.  I'll try to post something about out 70 miles of running and hiking later.  Just ran 6 miles around the roads at home.  Foggy this morning, but I didn't have time to go up to the woods.

QOTD:  DD#2 was 2 years old when she was diagnosed with diabetes.  My wife and I had just come back from our first trip ever away from the kids, to celebrate our 10th anniversary, and she was staying with my mom.  Mom said sh'e been drinking a lot and going through diapers like crazy.  I knew what that meant, and called our pediatrician and we took her in for blood work. With bad results, we then rushed to Johns Hopkins Hospital and DW and I were feeling so sad and sorry for her and ourselves, and guilty for going away.  She was put in Pediatric ICU and as we looked around at all the other little children in the PICU, we realized she was going to be fine.  She had a treatable disease that we would manage.  Many of the other children had never spent a minute out of the hospital or might not ever leave Hopkins again.  DW and I talked about this later, and we both realized we would never feel sorry for ourselves again, that no matter how bad things were, there was always someone suffering more and needed our prayers.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

The pooch and I had a nice 4 mile trail run this morning.

QOTD: Nothing comes to mind.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

NorthernHarrier

Have to do my intervals tomorrow as I woke with a messed up stomach. Didn't really feel like doing too much possible landscaping in the Arb so I opted to run the roads around the hood.  A good run anyway and no issues. Not like me to have that sort of problem but we went out to eat last night so I'm guessing.....

Pick up another Subaru tonight. We'll now have his and hers. My Mitsubishi has close to 270k on it and I can feel some issues looming. I should say it needs new tires so we got a new car instead. 

QOTD--you guys have some good stories. i don't. I feel so inadequate now. Thanks.

LB--Pretty sure almost every bow hunter has learned about gravity. Good story.  I had my own rapid descent once and ended up hobbling out of the woods with a hat stuffed into a gaping hole in the back of my leg. Drove to a friends house and he drove me to the hospital in Antigo, Wi. 50some stitches for that one but I was out bow hunting on crutches a few days later. Stupidly obsessed.

LB2

LB--Pretty sure almost every bow hunter has learned about gravity. Good story.  I had my own rapid descent once and ended up hobbling out of the woods with a hat stuffed into a gaping hole in the back of my leg. Drove to a friends house and he drove me to the hospital in Antigo, Wi. 50some stitches for that one but I was out bow hunting on crutches a few days later. Stupidly obsessed.

I called up and shot a nice buck out of that spot with my bow after I healed up. It was a great spot and probably the most exciting bow hunt I have ever had.

LB2

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Good Morning,

Breakfast is digested, and I'm heading out for a few miles in the sun. Time to get my log started again, as of today, I have not logged any runs in September, and this is throwing me off. I'm not even sure how many miles I might have run this month.

Went for 5 miles yesterday, on a messed-up stomach. I should have respected the two days of not feeling so great and the half day of a rumbling and grumbling warning... Got to practice my walking skills. A lot. 

Moonlight: If you are served lemons, make lemonade with them. Sounds old, but there is some truth in it.

LB2: Love that distance. I have a 14M loop, and it always goes by so quickly that I barely realize it's a HM (well, trail HM, that should fit the distance closely enough).

Jamie: Now don't you let this break your streak - have a nice run later!

warden: Enjoy the "perfect" run later!

AT: Looking forward to your trip report!

TT: Motivational, as always!

Harrier: New tires are for runners only. Cars get replaced.  Congrats!

QOTD: Recovery from my first back surgery, 20 years ago. I had had a disc prolaps for several years, and I had reached the stage where the legs get partially paralyzed and neurological damage was obvious. The recovery from the surgery, or rather the damage that had taken place before the surgery, took months - first PT session, and I could not even lie down on my back, but fell backwards stiff as a stick. But I learned that with persistence and patience, I can accomplish almost everything I set my mind to.

I was not a patient person before (yet stubborn, I have always been), and it took me a long time to learn that.

Today, I can still feel some damage in my left leg, but it is noticeable only to me, when I need to control its movements very precisely (like in ballet, or sometimes when running on technical trails). I would say I got 98 or 99% of leg control back, compared to the undamaged leg.

Run for fun.

Occasional Runner

I ran in the rain this morning with the pup. The rain got intense and the wind started to blow after a few miles, so we packed it in. Neither of us enjoyed being out in that mess. It can stop raining in Utah any time now. Really.

QOTD: Definitely the day I saw a photo of myself on the beach and had the sudden realization that I was fat. That day changed my life.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Pick up another Subaru tonight. We'll now have his and hers. My Mitsubishi has close to 270k on it and I can feel some issues looming. I should say it needs new tires so we got a new car instead. 

Sounds like you get to drive to Blackhawk then. 

I rode my bike to work this morning.  It's motherfucking cold out there on a bike at 44 degrees.  Remind me not to wear shorts next time.

QOTD: I am not sure I can pinpoint one single event in my life that has shaped my perspective.

Running is dumb.

jonferg67

Endless trails

Afternoon trailers,

I just got back from a great 5 mile out n back trail run on the Long Path, which by

the way, is about 1/4 mile from our new house in NY.

We are all moved in and getting somewhat settled in our new place. The move itself

was tough since the house is up a road, then dirt road, then a climb up stairs and

when you get to the house its another climb up stairs, but the scenic beauty is a

real payoff. Just going grocery shopping is a good workout.

QOTD: On the negative side; growing up in an abusive/alcoholic household. On the

positive side; the 20 plus years I've spent with my DW. Each scenario has shaped

me in very different ways.

Watoni

Probably just a light jog today if I can. I am "tapering" (i.e. keeping up my habit of not running much), and the bride is heading out to spend a few days with her girlfriends Smile

QOTD: The illness of my parents (dad had leukemia when I was growing up and passed while I was in high school, my mom has been battling breast cancer for a long time now), finding my bride and having a family of my own. My perspective is somewhat colored by being adopted as well. Could be a long story, but the takeaway is I am in a good place and very grateful for what I have.

Daydreamer1

Just crawled out of bed after working another night shift. Don't know if I'll be doing a bike ride or a run/walk. Depends on what DW tells me we're doing. She the boss today .

LB2 - I've had  a15 foot fall, I'd hate to have had a 30 footer. The closest I've come to cashing in the chips was being run over by a farm wagon. Left me blind for about 20 minutes and is probably the root cause of my lower back problems.

FTYC - Disc problems suck. The last few weeks mine have been acting up again. Whenever my foot and toes go numb and start stinging I know it's time to take it easy with the back.

NH - You sound like my MIL. When she was alive as soon as a car needed tires she traded it.

QOTD: Breakup of a long term relationship. The breakup would have been bad enough but she had to try to use religion to justify her actions. Very big liar, and for no reason as we weren't married so she could have just said that the relationship wasn't what she wanted and went her way.  Long story but it cost me some friends and I have vowed to never let religious institutions control me like they did at that point of my life. It also left me with a very dim view of religious people in general. Don't take this wrong, however, I still believe in Christianity and try very hard to follow the teachings of the Bible, it's just that I don't put up with people who distort it to their advantage.  I attend church on a regular basis but view it as mostly an avenue for hypocrites to cover up their wrongdoings.  Oh, and karma's a bitch.  She ended up with a real loser and lost everything. I ended up with a good wife and two good kids.

Sandy-2

I plan to run about 5 mi after work today.

qotd: Kind of similar to jonferg, some negative stuff while growing up culminating with the death of my oldest brother (about 25 years ago), but on the positive side all the time spent with my DW and our two kids.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL