Trailer Trash

Wintry Wednesday (Read 275 times)

DigDug2

6.5 mi this morning - cold, clear morning in CT, nice sliver of moon to run under.

QOTD:  Mittens or gloves?  Handwarmers?  What's your preferred method of keeping your hands warm this winter?  Some of you live in much colder places than I do, and my hands are ice cubes after running in 20 degree weather.  I strongly prefer mittens to gloves, but still haven't found good running mittens.

Trail Monster

90 minutes at an easy pace today.

QOTD: I wear a pair of Brooks gloves. They have a mitten sewn onto the back of the hand that I can pull over my fingers as needed.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Sandy-2

Hi, quick drive-by as I'm very busy at work this week.  Hosting 25 international visitors on my panel.  Took them to the Rockets/Lakers game last night for a little cultural exchange. Fun.

Did 3 quick miles this morning.  All I had time for since my puppy is sick and left a few "presents" this morning, man that smells bad, I was gagging cleaning it up.

qotd: Gloves, but I don't have to wear them often (e.g. today it's going up into the 70s).

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

NorthernHarrier

Not too wintry here this week.We'll hit 40F for the next few days. I'll do my 10k loop at a somewhat quick(er) pace today as the snow and ice is pretty much off the blacktop now. Kinda like this little Jan. thaw, helps to break up the winter.Sure sucks on my winter recreation but I'll still take it.

QOTD- Well I spend a lot of money for top gear and equipment for most of my outdoor recreational pursuits with probably my lone exception being my running gloves. I go down to the local Farm & Fleet and I'll buy the cheap, thin cotton work gloves for about $1.50 per pair. I run hot usually and these work great for me for all but the most brutal days. I've got warmer gloves and mittens in the drawer for those. I also was gifted a nice pair of Reebok running gloves that seem OK but they are in the drawer too as I just like my cheapies.

mecrowe

Computer Geek

6 road miles last night...uneventful....was a much needed decompression from the first two work days of the week.  Tonight will be 8-10 miles....supposed to be getting warmer the rest of the week with a high of 60 on Saturday!  Looking to get out on some trails this weekend for sure.

qotd:  i run in a pair of UnderArmor ColdGear gloves.  I have run in temps down to 10*F and been fine...I have also run snowy/wet/muddy obstacle course races in freezing temps and been fine in them.

Birdwell

9 miles this morning, three at HM pace. I'm working towards the "cumulative fatigue" for my runs this weekend, that I hear the Hansons talk about so much.

I saw that moon sliver peek out over the mountain just as I turned onto my street at the end of the run.

QOTD: I use the cheap cotton gloves you buy at Home Depot in a six pack for 5 bucks. If its really cold (below 0 f), I'll put some Bag Balm or Vaseline on my hands before I put the gloves on. Works like a charm.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I walked 4.5 miles last night mostly pain free.  Smile  I'm being a good girl and doing all of my PT exercises every night.

QOTD: I have Raynauds, so I have some heavy duty mittens.  I also bought a big case of those handwarmers in bulk -- great purchase.  They have saved my hands many times.

Running is dumb.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

3 miles at the gym this morning as part of an hour+ workout.  Then a PT appt - got my orthotics.  They feel weird but he said that is normal.  I guess it will take some time to get used to.

Mandy - I just have to commend you - stick with it.  It will pay off

QOTD: Gloves - nothing special but I have been known to wear two pair when it is cold out.  My fingers are the first to get cold.  I think have....ummm..what is that called? Reynaulds syndrome or something like like ...my hands are almost always cold.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

runtraildc

6 miles last night with DS and a running group.  He seems to enjoy the break from running with 'just mom' so we're trying to meet up with a group at least once a week.  Planning to run home from work tonight as I noticed the other day that it doesn't get truly dark until almost 5:30.  I like winter, but I could do with more daylight.

qotd: Usually just the thin 'magic' gloves unless it gets down to the single digits.  Then it is mittens for me.

sugnim

"Recovery run" along the river trail last night after work.  Haha.  Recovery.  I must be doing it wrong.  Yoga tonight, no running.  Also, it's raining here.  Yuck.  Bring back the snow!

QOTD:  If it's above 20, I wear those cheap 99 cent stretchy gloves from the drug store that come in all sorts of colors.  Below 20 I wear arm warmers with optional fold-over mittens that I made from knee high socks.  Both options are  economical, great for wiping my nose as well as keeping my hands warm, and surprisingly stylish, IMHO.  If my fingers get cold while I'm running, I make tight fists and/or clench & unclench my fingers to create heat & to get the blood flowing.  It works for me.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Good Morning,

13 miles yesterday, lots of vertical ft, and several miles in knee-deep, heavy snow that broke as soon as I put weight onto that foot. I actually underestimated the exhaustion caused by that and badly crashed after 9 surprisingly fast miles. I got so hungry, anything I could think of was my son's snack/lunchbox in the car, which I was to raid as soon as I made it back. Took a while for the last 3 miles, as I had to walk/run, downhill, which has never happened before. Needless to say, DS's snacks were gone instantly (chocolate milk and peanut butter pretzel nuggets, yum!), and I marveled at the difference a mere 300 calories can make!

Planning on a few fast miles today, the weather is still nice, and it's supposed to rain tomorrow, so I better hurry!

DD2: Nice morning run! We had a spectacular sunrise, I could watch it through my kitchen window, and I was sad that I could not be out there and run in the snow!

Banshee: Long run!

Sandy: The three-legged puppy? I hope it's not serious, and he'll be fine soon again!

Harrier: We'll get milder weather later in the week, too, and I sure appreciate it! Snow is nice, but not all the time!

mecrowe: Have a nice run later!

Birdwell: Great morning miles! "Cumulative fatigue", hmm, is that the same as "tired legs"?

MM: Nice recovery work! Hope you'll get to run soon again, pain free!

Jamie: Hope the new orthotics will work for you!

traildc: Great running with DS, the group run is a good idea. I wish I had introduced that to my DD last year, when she was still willing to run - now it's too late, she has turned to dance instead.

sugnim: I was thinking of you when I stomped through the deep snow yesterday. Recovery run, I can relate!

QOTD: Mittens. My fingers get cold in any glove that I have worn as of now. However, I got a pair of Manzella "hatch-back gloves" (those things with the mitten part that can be slipped over the fingers of the glove), and they seem to work well even in cold temperatures, wind and rain. Very happy with them! I have a tendency toward Raynaud's, too (not fully blown), so I wear mittens even at higher temps, in the 40's.

Enjoy the day, trailers!

Run for fun.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

got a good (tough) 8 miler in the snow yesterday afternoon, the snow is continuing to kick my butt- every run feels like it's twice as long as it actually is, my times are reflecting it as well

we have an arctic blast that is still on schedule to arrive on Friday, so I'll squeeze in a 12 miler this afternoon as it looks Friday-Tuesday will be spent at the gym on the treadmill and stairmaster Sad

qotd- I use a hard faced fleece glove (Black Diamond) for most of my winter running, when temps drop below ~10F- I break out the mittens

one day last week the temps were in the teens and the wind was high and I tried a pair of thin latex gloves under my gloves as an experiment- my hands were a little wet from perspiring, but other wise warm- they blocked the wind and kept the outer gloves dry- I'm going to try and find some thin nitrile ones as the latex ones pop holes in them pretty easy

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

nc tam

Nice hour on the trails Tuesday.  I had to pack my running gear early in the morning.  The afternoon warmed up more than I had expected so I ended up overdressed.  I spent much of the run pretending it was summer.  URD yesterday.  Weights this morning before work.  Would like to get a short run in this afternnon between kid shuttle duties as it is unseasonably warm out.

Nice sliver of moon this morning in these parts as well.

QOTD:  I have wimpy hands.  I have thin cotton gloves that I will start wearing when it's in the 50's and sometimes warmer if it is foggy and windy.  For colder temps I have thin windblock fleece gloves which will do into the low 30s and 20s if it's not wet and windy.  Below that I wear my very old, duct-taped gore-tex mittens.  Below 0 I stuff some of the handwarmers in the mittens.  I got a new pair of mittens a few years ago but they were not as warm and I returned them.  I've decided to stick with the old ones until they disintegrate (beyond the help of duct tape).

mtwarden -- you are going to feel like you are in the tropics when you come to NC for Uwharrie next month!

7.5 windy miles this morning. I need to remember to put on the body glide. Chaffing sucks.

I only have a pair of the 1$ stretchy gloves. So far they have been adequate though I think I'll need more if it ever drops below freezing here.

Pinhoti 100: Finished :D

Birdwell

Birdwell: Great morning miles! "Cumulative fatigue", hmm, is that the same as "tired legs"?

Yes!!