Trailer Trash

Fearless Friday (Read 22 times)

LB2

I will run 5 to 7 after work today. I haven't started tapering yet, but I am definitely racking up the zzzzz's.

QOTD: What is the creepiest run you can remember?

I don't know why this question came to my mind, but maybe it was because I spoke briefly at a domestic violence awareness program last night. There were not a lot of people in attendance, but they did a pretty good job putting it on. And one lady had a story that was pretty creepy. Anyway, the creepiest feeling I have ever had on a run was this past spring in New Mexico. I was running down a single track trail in a canyon that grew increasingly more narrow the farther I ran. Eventually, the trail petered out where the canyon walls were almost straight up above me on both sides. There was thick vegetation growing along the trail, which followed a flowing stream, and I just got the creepiest feeling that a mountain lion was just sitting on a ledge trying to determine if I was worth the trouble to kill and eat. I made some pretty good time coming up out of that canyon that day, too.

LB2

runtraildc

Morning all.  Still figuring out today's plan.  Ended up going to yoga last night after my run.  Legs might need an easy day.

qotd:  I had forgotten about it until your canyon story, LB, but one of my creepier runs was thru a small canyon on the Centennial trail in the Black Hills, SD.  It was late in the day and I entered a darker, tree lined canyon.  I felt very vulnerable since I wasn't sure about any wildlife and I knew my borrowed springer really wasn't going to be much help.  The trail wasn't that well marked coming and getting out of the canyon, I ended up getting turned around.  That run, or my trail in rock creek where the intern's body was found.  The section of that trail is remote and creepy.  I swear her ghost haunts it, especially in the late spring/early summer when she was murdered.

AT-runner

Tim

Happy Friday.  Didn't get a run in yesterday, but did get water back on.  Also go my blood work back and my thyroid numbers were bad. Looks like I'm upping my meds. At least I have an explanation for my sluggish feeling and weight gain.  Been dealing with Hashimoto's Disease for many years now, and this is probably my 10th medication adjustment.

LB - Nice way to negative split.

dc - I've been past that spot where Chandra Levy was found. It is creepy. Always amazes me how remote you can feel in some areas of suburban DC.

Have a great weekend. Good luck to all the racers and pacers out there, and bike riders too!

QOTD:  I think I posted this when it first happened.  I was exploring an area looking for trails and ran down an old logging road that had the gate closed. The road came to a dead end at a spring and I couldn't find any trails leading away from it, so I was heading back and a pick up truck was coming towards me. 2 guys in the truck with guns rifle tips pointing out of the truck and towards the sky. They just stopped ahead of me. I made quick decision to just ignore the guns and ran up to them on the passengers side. I said hello and never got and response or eye contact. I just kept my pace and didn't want to turn around and look.  I heard the truck bumping the brush to turn, but I didn't want to run off into the woods. I made it to the gate and it was closed (didn't check to look for a lock) and when I made the turn around the gate, the truck was 100 yard back.  I went to the DCNR office and told rangers what I saw. They said there had been some meth activity in the area near some of the springs. That made me feel real good.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

LB2

qotd:  I had forgotten about it until your canyon story, LB, but one of my creepier runs was thru a small canyon on the Centennial trail in the Black Hills, SD.  It was late in the day and I entered a darker, tree lined canyon.  I felt very vulnerable since I wasn't sure about any wildlife and I knew my borrowed springer really wasn't going to be much help.  The trail wasn't that well marked coming and getting out of the canyon, I ended up getting turned around.  That run, or my trail in rock creek where the intern's body was found.  The section of that trail is remote and creepy.  I swear her ghost haunts it, especially in the late spring/early summer when she was murdered.

I'd be interested in running in the Black Hills. What were you doing up there?

LB2

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Got in 5.1 last night.  Feeling mostly good.  Not going camping now this weekend but still getting in a good hike on Saturday.

QOTD: I did a run in the summer where I planned out to do a nice hilly and remote 16 miler that I love in the area.  I was supposed to run with someone but he bailed. It ended up being very rainy, downpours actually and I wasn't sure how overgrown the trail would be.  I had only ever run it in winter, early spring and late fall.  The one trail was so overgrown, made worse by the rain, that it felt like a canyon that you guys explained.  I could hardly see ahead of me.  And because of the rain, I could not hear much else, so thoughts of coming up on a black bear and cubs kept entering my mind.  I believe it was June so it's high activity bear season.  It was definitely creepy but I got through it.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

muppy

5.1 miles this morning.

I haven't posted, but very busy at work and had a week or two off with a bone spur that goes into my Achilles tendon.  Hopefully I can get back into the swing of things

QOTD In  Stony Valley, PA The Appalachian Trail goes through what is called Rauch gap.  It's an old abandoned mining village from the 1800s in the middle of nowhere. It's basically a bunch of stonewalls from the buildings and an old cemetery from the 1850s .  The cemetery creeps me out when I'm there by myself,  it's just way too quiet and lonely.

Daydreamer1

Spending the day at work on a 24 hour shift.  Very sore between the shoulder blades. Must come from working on my truck. It's amazing how sore you get from doing real work, not just working out with lifting and such.

QOTD:  When I think of creepy I think of ghosts or being stalked by something. That's never happened to me. I did have a episode where I was running on a state forest road and there were several guys eyeing up an abandoned vehicle. I'm quite  sure they were in the process of stripping the thing.  As I ran by they were giving me the not so nice looks, actually more than a little hostile. I simply shifted around a little to let them see that I was carrying my little pistol. The harsh scowls slowly changed to halfhearted smiles and they waved and I ran on by. The next day I ran by again and there was a bunch more stuff missing from the car.

AT-runner

Tim

QOTD In  Stony Valley, PA The Appalachian Trail goes through what is called Rauch gap.  It's an old abandoned mining village from the 1800s in the middle of nowhere. It's basically a bunch of stonewalls from the buildings and an old cemetery from the 1850s .  The cemetery creeps me out when I'm there by myself,  it's just way too quiet and lonely.

That place is creepy, but I actually like it somehow. Jamie and I were talking about a PA "fun run" on the rail trail so we all can all see it.

Glad to here from you Muppy.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

NHLA

6 miles 46 min.

qotd  We were less than one mile into a 5k in Asheville NC when we saw a dead girl hanging from a tree in the park. We were the first to find her.

It felt like I had lost my hearing. 500 people and no sound. Some of the runners stopped to get her down but it was much too late.

They never found out what happened.

Daydreamer1

That is a very nice area to explore. I used to ride out there occasionally on the bike.  One of the guys here at work was showing me a web site that was detailing the history of the area. I never realized just how built up it was back in the mid 1800's.  Apparently there was even some coal mining and breakers back in there, along with a fancy resort.  Certainly an area that I have to get back into to explore a little more.

I did have one thing happen out there that did creep me out. I was blasting along the trail on my bike and saw a dead branch lying across the trail in the leaves, about 5-6 foot long.  Didn't think too much about it just figured that it was small enough that I could easily ride right over it. So I hit it and realized that it was a  big ole black snake . Left it flopping around on the trail and me with a heart rate of over 200.  I've always been afraid of a snake getting caught in my back wheel and getting flipped up around my neck .

Daydreamer1

qotd  We were less than one mile into a 5k in Asheville NC when we saw a dead girl hanging from a tree in the park. We were the first to find her.

It felt like I had lost my hearing. 500 people and no sound. Some of the runners stopped to get her down but it was much too late.

You win. That's the creepiest.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

5.88 this am with mutts in tow (actually they were towing me). Nice little sunrise.  So much easier to get out of bed when the old man gets up first.

QOTD:  I was running along the rode in a populated area but there are also lost of orange groves.  My running partner was about 15 feet behind me.  I looked down one of the rows of orange trees and a guy was standing there with a bag over his head, eyes cut out, pants down and holding his d*ck.  He then yelled out to me "Can you give me a hand?"  That guys was a creep.  But running the rest of the way home was creepy because ever car that past made me wonder if it was that guy.  My running partner saw nothing and told me she learned a long time ago to never look into the orange groves.

LB2:  Luckily you are skinny so the Mt Lion decided it was not worth his troubles.

NHLA:  Damm!!! that is creepy..and sad.

Jamie:  You said you were going for 150 miles this month so I set my Pace bunny to 150 miles for the month.  I am 16.1 miles behind..but it's a three day weekend and the old man is going to be gone so you better get running. 

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

LB2

QOTD:  I was running along the rode in a populated area but there are also lost of orange groves.  My running partner was about 15 feet behind me.  I looked down one of the rows of orange trees and a guy was standing there with a bag over his head, eyes cut out, pants down and holding his d*ck.  He then yelled out to me "Can you give me a hand?"  That guys was a creep.  But running the rest of the way home was creepy because ever car that past made me wonder if it was that guy.  My running partner saw nothing and told me she learned a long time ago to never look into the orange groves.

I'm sorry. I didn't cut the eye holes big enough in the bag and didn't recognize you. But seriously, that one runs a close second to NHLA's.

LB2

LB2

This really bothers me. I assume it was suicide, but folks have certainly been hung.

LB2

muppy

That place is creepy, but I actually like it somehow. Jamie and I were talking about a PA "fun run" on the rail trail so we all can all see it.

Glad to here from you Muppy.

There's a local historian who  would do haunted history hikes on Halloween night where you hike a few miles out to the cemetery there and you tell scary stories and then you hike back. We did it last year,  haven't seen if she's doing it this year again or not.

There's a nice loop you can do starting at Cold Springs. You go up to the top of the mountain,then you can run down the Appalachian Trail back to the rail trail which takes you back to Cold Springs.