Trailer Trash

Running Tours (Read 50 times)

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

What do you guys think about "Running Tours"? Not sure if it is a new fad or a gimmick or a cool way to spend a weekend (or a week)

They seem expensive to me but I suppose on the right trails and in the right area, it might be worth it.  But I have my questions/doubts.  Wondering what your thoughts and experiences have been?

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Wandering Wally

Sounds like a neat way to see some new parts of the country.  As long as the tour is somewhat guided and supported I think it would be really cool.  I've never done one and probably won't anytime soon (wife doesn't run, and kids are too small just now).  Maybe someday though.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

NorthernHarrier

Might be OK for some but I like working solo with my own planning and agenda. Carrying enough food and filtering your own water back in adds to the whole experience for me. Arranging a shuttle or transportation of some sort is the biggest obstacle but the internet works pretty slick for that.

As far as seeing other parts of the country and some cool trails--well that info is floating out there all the time. For years I've been accumulating a list of  trails and areas as I learn about them and filing away for the hope that I can do them later on my schedule.

That's also one of the reasons I subscribe to Backpacker mag as it is constantly highlighting trails all over for hiking that lend themselves nicely for trail running.

Maybe if I was heading to Chile or mtn. biking the death highway in Bolivia I would want the organized group thing but otherwise I really enjoy the planning and doing the logistics on my own.

Watoni

I think it depends. The things I would like to do (e.g., trail running in the Dolomites such as the Alta Via) could certainly be done without a tour; however, running lite (i.e. having luggage transported hut-to-hut), making reservations at the huts, etc. could realy make the experience more running than fastpacking, and might be worth it to me.

Ultra Cowboy

I'm working on planning a trip with my running training partners in the Wind River Range kind of along this line of thinking.  Pack horse Support between campsites.  10-15 miles per travel day, with 2 layover days.  I'm providing the pack horses and logistics.

WYBMADIITY

Save

AT-runner

Tim

I'd love to do one of the the Andes Adventure tours.  Running the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu is on my short list.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

runtraildc

I'd love to do one of the the Andes Adventure tours.  Running the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu is on my short list.

The patagonia trip looks interesting.  Thanks for sharing!

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I think it's a great idea if you want to run a longer trail point-to-point and don't have a crew to support you.

I have been thinking of running the Standing Stone Trail from my home south (around 100 miles), perhaps connecting to the Tuscanora Trail to go further to eventually end up on the C&O Canal Towpath somehow. To do that, I could certainly use some help in planning and support.

I have not looked at prices and such, but if I was seriously planning such a run, I would take advantage of tour services to make it more of a "run" and less of a "hike" (with gear, etc.), and not have to enslave my family to circle around my needs only for that trip.

Run for fun.

A good tour group can be really helpful, depending on your intentions and goals.

Some areas are better documented than others. I know in our part of AK as well as other areas, I'm sure, the trail maps may not be available, trail guides may have incorrect info, etc. One of the biggest things that came out of a series of 9 community meetings this past fall is that people wanted to know where the trails were. Some "trailheads" are wide areas in the road.

If I can find a running tour in the Canadian High Arctic, I would seriously consider it - depending on where and its structure (= ability to accommodate older, slower runners).

I love investigating things. But I spent 20+ years as a vegetation ecologist dealing with logistics to various parts of the state - mostly along the road system. For a vacation / running trip, I'd really welcome the logistical planning and support of a guided tour and being able to learn from the locals (not everything is on the internet). I know some of the locals here who provide either guided tours or winter training camps. You won't find their level of knowledge on the internet.

When I went to Australia about 12 yr ago (professional conferences plus pre-/post-conference time, I was just starting to run), I tagged along with folks who'd done research in Australia for the pre-conference part, then sort of spun my own post-conference tour of segments of individual trips (e.g seeing platypus in the wild, no cattle-car tours) where the organizer picked me up at hotel. No need to worry about driving on wrong side of road, insurance, camping gear, etc. I planned that via internet, but there was a lot of information that just wasn't there, including off-season closures. At that time, the internet was just picking up steam for some of this info, but I doubt there's the level of info I'd want to go it alone.

Anyway, from my perspective a well-run running tour can be worth its weight in gold if you want to focus on running and learning about the local area, and less time working out details of trails, legal access, potable water, etc.

I should add that one of my races is 38mi between trailheads, get your water from streams, and have someone shuttle your car from start to end.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                    runfastandie

I try and find a race no matter where I travel (do not confuse me with lace-up who is in his own league!!!).  I get to about 2-3 times a year- I guess that is paying for a supported run! I love showing up to a new area and not needing to worry much.