Trailer Trash

Ticks (Read 35 times)

paul2432

i found a tick on my ankle a few hours after my run today.  My wife got it out using oil.

Thought I’d post this as a reminder to check yourself after running in the woods.

Gator eye

Thanks, but not to many ticks wandering around this time of the year in this area.

GC100k

Thanks, but not to many ticks wandering around this time of the year in this area.

Ditto for here in PA.

I lived and ran trails in the Arkansas Ozarks for many years and ticks were just part of the deal. If you went outside in the summer, you got ticks. Got hundreds of tick bites over the years, it's just what happens.

When we first moved there, we went to the Buffalo River trails on Labor Day weekend. We were shocked there was no one else out on the trails. After a bit we looked down and our legs were covered with thousands of ticks. We waded into the river and eventually got them off. I guess that's part of the reason no one was there. On the good side, we had freedom to skinny-dip in some beautiful swimming holes.

For a few years we had a deal with Backpacker Magazine to do GPS tracking of trails in the region. Some of our trails were published in the magazine. One year my contact from Boulder called me up in April and asked if I was ready for hiking season to start. I informed him that I'd been submitting tracks all winter and hiking season was about to end. We would occasionally get out on the trails in the summer, but they got overgrown and buggy and snakey and less pleasant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tiPndMqxLQ

Sandy-2

paul2432 - what part of the country are you in?  Texas here.

Last Thanksgiving weekend we did a hike along the Lone Star Trail, one of the dogs with us has pure white fur, it was amazing that she had dozens of ticks stuck in her fur every time we stopped for a break.  I don't think any of the people had any, but we did make sure to check.  Thanks for the reminder.

tbd.

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Nothing to do with Trails or Trail running but 2.5 years ago we got a bad tick infestation in our house courtesy of new landscaping and a dog that brought them inside. I spent weeks upon weeks battling those mother truckers, spraying, treating, dusting, vacuuming, and manual picking.  Fortunately we never got any of ourselves.

I HATE TICKS WITH THE PASSION OF A THOUSAND SUNS. 

You people have issues 

Daydreamer1

PERMETHRIN = no ticks for me.

paul2432

paul2432 - what part of the country are you in?  Texas here.

Last Thanksgiving weekend we did a hike along the Lone Star Trail, one of the dogs with us has pure white fur, it was amazing that she had dozens of ticks stuck in her fur every time we stopped for a break.  I don't think any of the people had any, but we did make sure to check.  Thanks for the reminder.

I'm in Southern California.  LOL, I forgot that in most of the country it's too cold for ticks this time of year.

Ticks aren't that common here.  I mentioned the tick to a couple trail running friends here, and neither had ever seen a tick before.  This was my first tick in five years of running these trails.

Wow, GC your area sound awful (at least from a tick perspective).

Bert-o

I lost my rama

I will spray my shoes and lower legs with bug spray to repel ticks.  Seems to work.  I may try permethrin though when the weather gets warm, but my biggest problem are the flying biting bugs around the head.  Regular bug spray doesn't really work.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

Gator eye

Nothing to do with Trails or Trail running but 2.5 years ago we got a bad tick infestation in our house courtesy of new landscaping and a dog that brought them inside. I spent weeks upon weeks battling those mother truckers, spraying, treating, dusting, vacuuming, and manual picking.  Fortunately we never got any of ourselves.

I HATE TICKS WITH THE PASSION OF A THOUSAND SUNS. 

A thousand suns..... thats a lot of hate. Lol

Queen of Nothing

Sue

A co-workers who's home was surrounded by fire but did not burn said the ticks are horrible right now.  He is thinking because the ticks moved out of the burn area into his yard and the fire caused the deer to move to a different area.   Was wondering if you are located near where there were fires.  When I lived in so cal I never saw a tick either.

I'm in Southern California.  LOL, I forgot that in most of the country it's too cold for ticks this time of year.

Ticks aren't that common here.  I mentioned the tick to a couple trail running friends here, and neither had ever seen a tick before.  This was my first tick in five years of running these trails.

Wow, GC your area sound awful (at least from a tick perspective).

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

A thousand suns..... thats a lot of hate. Lol

Yes, yes it is.  And ever ounce of hate was well deserved.

You people have issues 

paul2432

A co-workers who's home was surrounded by fire but did not burn said the ticks are horrible right now.  He is thinking because the ticks moved out of the burn area into his yard and the fire caused the deer to move to a different area.   Was wondering if you are located near where there were fires.  When I lived in so cal I never saw a tick either.

I am around 40 miles from the burn area, so that is not likely a factor.

NorNev

One good thing about living near Lake Tahoe is not only do we not have ticks but we also do not have fleas!

Queen of Nothing

Sue

That surprises me...I live in Grass Valley and we have ticks.

One good thing about living near Lake Tahoe is not only do we not have ticks but we also do not have fleas!

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

NorNev

That surprises me...I live in Grass Valley and we have ticks.

Difference in elevation?