Trailer Trash

Flying through Friday (Read 39 times)

Birdwell

Morning folks!

Im taking an rest day. 8 more hours of training, and then onto a flight back home.

I've been in the greater Chicago area since Sunday, and in that time I've run just under 40 miles. I've been running in the morning, evening and night. I have seen three other people out running when I've been out. I've done most of my runs in the Busse Woods forest preserve and Spring valley preserve.

Ive decided that people in cities are wusses when it come to running. has it rained a little in the eastern third of the country this week? Sure. Did all the litttle creeks and streams rise a few feet over the past few days? of course (that was kind of neat to watch) But come on people, you won't melt. It's only water. If I only ran when the weather was nice and sunny, I'd never run.

Were you scared of getting your feet wet, and getting your iPhone wet? Leave your dumb phone at home, realize that shoes drain, and get out there!

I will now officially call myself a "trail runner".

Hello all,

Planning on 6 or 7 during lunch today. Can't stop watching the news right now...not sure how much work I'll get done today.

QOTD: I am still kind of a wuss. I don't mind creek crossings, mud or rain, but last Friday the all-day torrential downpours convinced me to run my long run inside Undecided. But I've come a very long way, I used to hate any outdoor sports.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Happy Friday all!

I will be heading to DC after work to participate in the National Walk for Epilepsy tomorrow morning (5th time doing it!).  Not sure how I will squeeze in runs today or tomorrow but I'm not sweating it...it's taper time anyways.

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend...I'll be stalking Zion and Hyner for sure...any other races going on?

QOTD: As a country boy living in the big city, I agree with Birdwell's wuss assessment.  Plenty of people will run on the paved sidewalks, but you will not find many on the trails.  I drive along about 2 miles of paved running/biking path every morning and I do see people out in all sorts of weather, but not many.  Also, I've met people who can't swim and nobody knows how to fix anything on their home or car...certainly a pampered lot.

**Ask me about streaking**

DigDug2

6.5 on roads/rail trail this a.m.  I explored a set of trails that I had previously ignored, assuming it was a very short suburban "nature walk" kind of trail, and found that it was actually fun, rolling and twisting soft trails through the forest and longer than I expected.  Resolve to explore more.

QOTD (if I can figure out what the QOTD actually is):  I would say I'm a semi-wuss - I admit that I'd much rather run in decent weather.  I don't really mind the cold and wet, although I go out of my way to keep my feet dry when possible.  The only weather that will actually keep me inside is heat.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Good Morning,

Warm and windy, seems so strange after the long winter. I have a dentist appointment later, ugh.

Birdwell: Sounds like some nice runs, despite the rain.

T&C: I didn't get the news until just now, guess I missed most of the action. I'm sure I'll catch up during the day.

Jamezilla: Enjoy the walk tomorrow! I hope the weather will be better than here.

DD2: Nice trails, I hope your exploring will bring out a rewarding result and a new area to choose your runs from.

QOTD: Semi-wuss here, too. It's hard for me to get out in the rain, but once I'm out there, I'm totally ok with it. And if it's a race, or a group run, I'm usually fairly tough and just deal with whatever comes along.

Enjoy the leap into the weekend, everyone!

Run for fun.

LB2

I may get out tonight for a few miles. But, this is the last weekend of turkey season. I finished my limit the second week, but I have been busy as a guide. I have two hunters this weekend, plus a concert on Saturday night.

QOTD: If I have water crossings on a route, I don't bring music. I'll go through pretty much anything; the more messy the better.

LB2

NorthernHarrier

So I did get out for some trail intervals despite the weather yesterday. No wuss here. I'm struggling to regain my turnover  so I'm thinking of heading to the track for the next few weeks just to do some 200's and 300's.  The Butterballs were out in force yesterday with many displaying and being a little territorial. Had one large Tom challenge me for my trail. I passed next to him at 4' while he was displaying and he did a couple bluff charges. He was kind of cute and looked delicious. This was in the Arb Mandy. Every spring in there will have a few incidents with those bad boys.

Off to Donald park after a workout in the man cave. The turkeys know their place out there.

QOTD-Not sure what it is. I know I'll run in any weather, anyplace. Certainly any sport has it's fair weather participants but I don't pay them much mind. Just stay off the bike paths on that first bluebird day as that is truly amateur hour.

Uh oh... now what?

Happy Friday to all (is my Monday).

49ºF and rain... XT this morning on the downed trees I saw yesterday.

QOTD:  It isn't a toughness issue (I like warm comforters and good books way more

than cold wet mud). If I don't run in whatever is out there, I would lose a lot of running

days. I have never run wired, have no electronic things with me--that is never an issue.

In the first quarter mile I adjust zippers, gloves, and caps, and that is it--don't get any

wetter.  Zippers go up or down as I turn into or away from the wind.

In my usual distracted way...

coldest running -- [-22ºF]

hottest running -- [+118ºF]

jonferg67

Endless trails

Happy Friday trailers.

I think Zion started at 6 am, so Lace should be running by now. Hope it goes well, I remember how

he dealt with last years DNF after hydration issues (at 50 miles if I recall, still incredibly impressive).

Good luck to Jamie, Couch and others running Hyner. Go easy on those nasty climbs.

I know some of you folks can blast through a 22 mile long run and recovery quickly, not me.

I did 22 last sat. and 8 on sun. and I'm still feeling lingering soreness. I'm making this week

a true recovery week and resting today, I think I'll benefit from a true recovery and then nail it

again next week.

QOTD: I was a tough mofo long before I started trail running. Making my living on the ocean

in new england during tough winters prepared me for adverse weather running. After living

in CA where people freak out when it rains I think it's funny how people act in the rain. I agree

with Birdwell, it's only water.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Morning Trailers- legs are a little slow from mile repeats yesterday, I can see where these will be beneficial in lowering times- I rarely run fast, these force you to run fast (this is all relatively speaking of course! Big grin)

strength training this evening

qotd: this last winter (spring???) the inclement weather has outnumbered the nice weather by a long shot- can't say that I'm giddy to go out running when it's in the single digits and the wind is blowing or running through 8' of snow, but like others have said you're mileage would suffer if you only ran when it's nice.  I will admit that there have been a dozen or so times that I opted for the dreadmill or stairs of death over running out, so I guess I have a little wuss in me Smile

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Morning everyone. SRD for me. 1 more week until my first 100. I'm getting extremely nervous. Keeping my expectations low so hopefully that helps calm me down.

Have a great weekend all.

Daydreamer1

Just got home from a 24 hour shift. At least it was quiet overnight and I did get a long nap. Still I think that I'll take a couple of hour nap then go for a short jog and see how the ankle feels. I'm pretty sure I'll drop down to the 25k tomorrow at Hyner if I can. The ankle feels decent but is still weak.

QOTD: I don't like starting out in rain, but if it starts to rain once I'm out there I actually enjoy it. I like running in snow, but I hate the wind, especially when I'm around trees. We have a lot of dead ones in my area an I'm always scared of falling branches.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

I think Zion started at 6 am, so Lace should be running by now. Hope it goes well, I remember how

he dealt with last years DNF after hydration issues (at 50 miles if I recall, still incredibly impressive).

You are correct.  If you have a slow/no work day you can stalk/track the Zion 100 HERE

**Ask me about streaking**

muppy

Good luck to all at Hyner and Zion, and anyone else racing!

Try to do about 10 after work.

QOTD I can run in any weather, however being out when lighting rolls in is quite exciting, until I think about getting struck by said lighting.

Ultra Cowboy

Last nights trail run with 4 friends was a good one for 7 miles. Ran a part of the HM course backwards at sunset and it was like being on a totally new trail with the angle of the light and going up on the downs that I was familiar with.

QOTD you want tough?  One of last night's runners had a colonoscopy that morning!  That is too much even for me...Weather doesn't bother me too much.  There is no such thing as bad weather...just poor clothing choices.

WYBMADIITY

Save