Trailer Trash

not chosen for jury duty Wednesdaily (Read 19 times)

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Thank the Lord; after sitting all day on a wooden bench in what had to be one of the longest voir dires I've ever witnessed, at the end I was passed over (on what was going to be a week long trial).   In criminal trials, it's almost a given that law enforcement officers aren't chosen (for some defense attorneys don't want us on ), but this was a civil matter and could have been easily chosen.  I answered two questions that I think had the plaintiff's bump me off- "do you think there are too many frivolous lawsuits?"- answer yes, definitely; question two "do you think the legislature should put award limits on civil suits?" yes, definitely.

Plan on getting 4-ish miles in after work in the snow.

btw Sue- very nice photos yesterday! 

qotd:  how would you answer those questions?

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Daydreamer1

Ended up with a little over 7 miles yesterday afternoon.  That gave me 56 miles for the month .  Helped one my distant neighbors unload a old tractor. It's been 30 years since I was on a Massey Ferguson 165.  The engine on this one is locked up and he was going to pull it down some ramps to get it off the trailer with a chain attached to the back to keep it from running away.  It had disaster written all over it, so I hopped on and steered it while he pulled it off.  Felt like Farmer Brown .

QOTD: Too many? Not really.  Award Limits??  Not very tight ones.

Surprised that I feel that way?  Here's my rational.  There is a lot of unethical behavior in this country and it's only increasing.   Most people, especially businesses,  are very, very good walking a fine line that keeps them from being punished legally but still harms a lot of others. Many times the only way to stand up to those people and punish them is to sue them.  A lot of people can't believe that I see merit in the majority of medical based lawsuits, but the fact is that I do. If you would see the amount of coverups and general non caring attitudes that  exist among so called "medical professionals"  you would think twice before going to the hospital.  I'd like to share some examples but I'm sure that would get me in plenty of trouble if the wrong person would see it.

FWIW, I carry liability insurance and have little fear of being sued because I always try to do the right thing.  If only others would.

muppy

11.6 miles with perfect weather on the rail trail.

Daydreamer,  you are instilling me with confidence for the surgery I’m getting in a few weeks! 

QOTD  I think there  are too many frivolous lawsuits. I was checking for ice at 7 o’clock in the morning last year where I work.  I saw a lady slip on a step. I already checked those steps and salted the one little corner that had ice the rest of the sidewalk and steps were totally dry. She sued us.  What actually happened was she was clicking the key fob to unlock her car and tripped on the steps, not the ice. ( in my humble yet professional opinion)  we settled out of court.

I think there should be a sliding scale, lower for a pure accident higher for illegal and inmoral activities.

AT-runner

Tim

I stumbled and bumbled along the trail yesterday. as I predicted, leaves did a nice job of covering toe rocks.  2 falls, both minor, but the first one was 1/4 mile into he run and on an area with no leaves. I turned my head to look at how high a creek was and bam, down I went.

Warden - nice book. Read it yesterday in one sitting. DW has it now.  I looked Moire O'Sullivan up, and she's won a few adventure races now, so she still dabble in them besides winning mountain races.

Queen - nice pics. Earl looks very patient in the kayak.

QOTD:  Yes and Yes.

I've been expert witness several times and mildly agree with Dd (the cover-up part).  What I more often see is how people don't follow directions or don't listen to the risks and then blame the doctor. Unfortunately some people who should sue don't and too many who shouldn't do.

As far as covering their ass. My medical malpractice company tell us to NEVER admit fault even if we did something wrong.  That really bothers me.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I ran 5 this morning...quite uneventful.

Went to Podiatrist yesterday.  I have bone spurs but no more than 40%  of what most folks have.  Running may just aggravated it. and wearing flat shoes.  He a lift but it's just hard rubber, so I may purchase something at the drug store.  That and some high heals. 

QOTD: yes, and umm just need more juries with common sense.  .  I served a on a civil trail and it was ridiculous.  The neighbors said Tom caused their garage to flood when he built up his driveway.  Tom said the caouse was from Dick putting in a tennis court and the fact that it was an el Nino year.  I remembered my backyard had about 5 inches of water and was worried it would get in the house.  Any who me and another guy said not guilty, the rest said guilty.  The reason those folks had were crazy...one was why wasn't Tom's wife at the trail?  They got 85,000 like 10,00 for damage and the rest for pain and suffering...you know worrying about the rains. 

QOTD2: 107.9

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

LB2

Hiked 3 miles last night on the trick or treat trail.

QOTD: I have mixed feelings, but I think a lot of law suits are frivolous.

LB2

Daydreamer1

Unfortunately some people who should sue don't and too many who shouldn't do.

I see that play out all the time.  Never can quite figure  why someone will sue for a bad outcome when the Dr advised a certain treatment and they refused, but at the same time another Dr who refused to care for a patient and treat an obvious illness and that resulted in the patients death, yet the family won't sue and the Dr gets to laugh about it. 

As far as covering their ass. My medical malpractice company tell us to NEVER admit fault even if we did something wrong.  That really bothers me.

Multiple studies have been done that have proven that simply saying "I'm sorry", results in far less lawsuits. 

From a medical lawsuit perspective, what is bothering me lately is that I'm seeing so many people in the medical field who just don't give a damn.

Daydreamer1

Daydreamer,  you are instilling me with confidence for the surgery I’m getting in a few weeks! 

Sorry Muppy,  didn't realize that you were going in for surgery.   Just be proactive and ask questions. On top of that I would imagine that you have a relationship established with the Dr so that always helps.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Rest Day

qotd: Yes and yes. I also find it interesting that the OT places strict limits on penalties and restitution including the eye for an eye passage to restrain people from going overboard with revenge.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Finally got out on time from work and was looking forward to a nice longer run on the rail to trail (that one has the most beautiful fall colors), and then my car did not start.

After an hour-long phone call with the dealership, I got some ideas and asked a co-worker to help me check out my brake lights, and - miraculously the car started just like it was supposed to. Show and tell always seems to do the trick.

Unfortunately now it was too late for a run now. Hoping for tomorrow.

QOTD: Yes and yes.

I know the other extreme, which is practiced in Austria and also Germany, where certain lawsuits are just not considered worthy being followed through, and victims get almost no restitution or damages because the limits are so low. Reason (or rather reasoning) is that the government takes care of all the ramifications for the victim, like medical costs, (low) pensions for victims or their children, etc., so that there’s no need for any settlement or similar money.

And then there is often  the assumption that the perpetrator is not really at fault, because he was drunk, because he had a bad childhood, because society did not hand him what he wanted,..., and so the sentences are usually incredibly low for American standards, or are not applied at all, so that the perpetrator gets a second (third, fourth, seventh, sixteenth, ...) chance to stay in the society and reap all the benefits from it -until next tome, that is.

Very frustrating for the victims, I guess.

Run for fun.