Trailer Trash

Whoa Wednesday (Read 18 times)

LB2

Another 4.5 this morning. It was 41*F. I find that to be quite comfortable. I ran slowly, though. I think it was like 11 minutes per mile or something like that, just easy running.

QOTD: Are you ever puzzled by some of the reviews you read concerning running gear?

YES. I read some reviews on headlamps yesterday, specifically the Black Diamond Storm. They ranged between "best light I have ever used" to "biggest piece of crap in the headlamp world" (or something to that effect). I have had a BD Storm for years, and I have never had a problem with it. Battery life is good on the highest setting; light is reliable; light doesn't throw crazy shadows, etc. If you did have to change the batteries during a race, it would be a difficult to do it by yourself because of the screw, but on the latest model, they have a little clip that seems to make it easier. I may get a new one, but if this one keeps working, I'll stick with what works.

LB2

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Morning.  Back to work today.  Yesterday was a wash due to the snow.  19 inches or so.  Kids off school again.  DW is working from home so I got to some into the office.  Spent yesterday morning doing some cardio and strength training in our driveway - at least 2.5 hours worth.  And then to keep my streak going, I ran 2.75 last night in 19 degrees, 20+ mph winds, icy/snowy roads.  It was a blast actually.  Trail running prepares one for this sort of thing.  A had a few people who were shoveling out their cars stopped to stare at me as I meandered by down the middle of the street.

Gatsby - nice pic in yesterday's dailies.  But you're just rubbing it in!

LB2 - I have a BD Storm and it works great.  I use it every night when running.

QOTD: I have trouble with reviews for anything.  In trying to pick out a flooring for our basement, I had to be careful about what people wrote.  It seems that people like to write a bad review when the product is fine but the customer service is bad.  Then it appears that the product is not good.  For running shoes, I generally read reviews when new models come out.  Hoka has released a number of new models in the last 2 years.  But I don't necessarily trust the reviews.  For running shows, I really like the Ginger Runner.  You can find him on YouTube and he has reviewed many of the trail (and road) shoes out there.  Since he likes Hokas, I trust his judgement.

Sometimes reviews are good to read because they give real specific info, even helpful tips they learned.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Morning all Smile  got a nice 6-ish mile run yesterday- a mix of snow, ice, mud, slush and amazingly some dry sections; what is even more amazing is I ran in SHORTS!   55 degrees for our high, maybe even a a couple degrees warmer today- to say this has been a looooong winter would be the understatement of the year.

Planning on 5-ish after work.

I have a few BD headlamps as well- couple of Spots, Sprinters and Ions

yesterday's qotd: about a year ago I had a really bad fall bruised up my entire right side from about calf height to shoulder- fair amount of blood when it happened to add to the scene.  I'm usually good for 5-6 falls a year.

qotd: I ignore reviews that don't go into detail; occasionally I find a reviewer that knows what he's talking about and give heavy credence to those reviews

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

AT-runner

Tim

Nice relaxing night after a day dealing with snow removal.  Same total as Jamie.  Our schools are opening after a 2 hour delay. Country kids are tougher than city kids.

Some running over lunch. Probably Battlefield.

Gatsby - yes shoulder DX via MRI is torn labrum, but it's in an area where surgical success is not guaranteed, and I'd be off work for 2 months or more, so not having it done until I really have to.

QOTD:  Yes, I never trust anyone who wears Hoka's, runs barefoot or pushes Hammer products. Just kidding.   I read the reviews, but unless I know the reviewer is a large framed male, like me, I can't put too much belief in it. I agree, some of the differences are wild and might likely be personal problems with the company and /or their service practices.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

LB2

QOTD: I have trouble with reviews for anything.  In trying to pick out a flooring for our basement, I had to be careful about what people wrote.  It seems that people like to write a bad review when the product is fine but the customer service is bad.  Then it appears that the product is not good.  For running shoes, I generally read reviews when new models come out.  Hoka has released a number of new models in the last 2 years.  But I don't necessarily trust the reviews.  For running shows, I really like the Ginger Runner.  You can find him on YouTube and he has reviewed many of the trail (and road) shoes out there.  Since he likes Hokas, I trust his judgement.

Sometimes reviews are good to read because they give real specific info, even helpful tips they learned.

Have a great day!

I normally check out Ginger Runner, too. He gives very detailed reviews of a lot of shoes that I have on my radar. I went back and forth for a year about the Hoka Stinson 3ATR. I finally bought some when the price dropped. I am pretty happy with them, so far. I am waiting for the Olympus 2.0 to drop, so far, they are hanging on at 149.95. Although, I did find a pair yesterday for 98 and some change. I'll wait until summer or early fall before getting anymore shoes, though.

LB2

Daydreamer1

Hoping to get out for about 5 miles later today. The problem is that I'm totally unmotivated to run right now for some reason.  DW wants to sign up for a race in Delaware the end of April. She'll just walk the 5k, but I wanted to do the Triple Crown for a total of 22 miles. No way I'm going to be able to do that If I don't get off my arse and start running longer.   I might just go to the gym just to run. For some reason that sounds appealing.

QOTD:  I read reviews but it's difficult to put much stock in them.  For some reason people seem to give a lot of five star ratings but still complain or they sound disingenuous.  For awhile a lot the reviews on Hokas really sounded disingenuous. My favorites were the ones that would start off by saying "I really wanted to like these shoes" then proceed to just complain about everything about them. What I seen as a giveaway that it was a fake review was that the reviewer would claim they had tried every model of Hoka with the same result . Don't you think after the first two pairs or so you'd just find another brand?  Also read some on the Altras that were like that.

I think the reviews for electronic products are all over the place because of poor quality control.  My first polar HRM was made in Finland or at least some country other than China. Now all that type of stuff is made in those countries with more of emphasis on profit margins than quality. So it's easy for one person to get one that was made at the beginning of the day and is decent and the other person gets one that was made at the end of a 14 hour day and the slaves can no longer function right.  FWIW my current Polar HRM really sucks.

AT-runner

Tim

RW magazine used to publish their shoe reviewers stats with the review. I like that because it would say somehting like:

55 yo Male, 6' 190 lb, 55-60 mpw

or

34 yo Male 5'7" 140 lb 20-25 mpw.

That way I would look at the reviews for people more like me.  Wish other places did that.  I'd read a headlamp review from a 20 time ultrarunner doing high mileage vs one from a first timer just starting into night running.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Haven't ran in a week.  Running on the cement really aggravated my heel and I decided not to run in Mexico.  Thanks to daylight savings getting out of bed is again difficult so I have not run yet since coming home.

QOTD:  I only look at the reviews for clothing sizes.   I like when they say I am 5'2" 120 pounds and the small fit perfectly.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

NHLA

Too cold today to run.

qotd  The way they do reviews on the internet has no credibility. I get advice from runners that I know and have used the stuff.

Sandy-2

I plan to do 5 after work today.  Just a typical mid-week jaunt around the greenbelt trail.

Gatsby – nice photo from yesterday.  I was visiting my Dad near Union City a few years ago, he was quite frail and I left in the afternoons so as not to interrupt his routine. He was gone a few months later.  But anyway, late afternoon the last day I was there I drove on 92 to the coast and found my way to a small parking lot at the end of Poplar St. Ran north along the water until I got to a marina then turn around and went back. Looked a lot like your photo. It was a nice sunset run, not too far but nice although a bit windy, it got dark before I got back to the car.  I sponged off and changed in the parking lot afterwards.

qotd: I also try to figure out the “credentials” of the reviewers.  Depending on what your intentions are for a particular item, it is nice to know whether the reviewer is a crusty old ultra runner or a recreational 5k runner.

By the way I have a BD Spot, I like it and went for less weight vs a few more lumens (but then again I’m just a crusty old ultra runner).

tbd.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Hi!  I'm back from vacation and currently sitting at work.  *grumble*  And of course work is a total shit-show while I'm gone.  Yay!  Anyway, hopefully I can get around to sharing some photos eventually.  Arizona was beautiful as always.

QOTD: +1 to AT about that whole Hoka/barefoot/Hammer thing.  Hammer products are gross, I don't care how many good reviews they get.

Running is dumb.

XtremeTaper

#$%^!&#@! this weather... it's mid-march dang it. I refuse to do a cold winter run at this point in March so will take the day off. I did go to the planet of fitness today and did the usual weights and stretching. Refuse to run on the TM.

QOTD: I don't buy much of anything running related on-line, so no I do not pay attention to comments.

Mandy/AT - +1,000,000 billion to you in regards to Hammer products. Blech.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

runtraildc

I feel exactly the same way. Except I did get on the treadmill last night.  I have been waiting all day for the winds to die down and the wind chill temps to move out of the teens, but it doesn't appear that it's going to happen so it might be a no run day.  I did do yoga at lunch though.

#$%^!&#@! this weather... it's mid-march dang it. I refuse to do a cold winter run at this point in March so will take the day off. I did go to the planet of fitness today and did the usual weights and stretching. Refuse to run on the TM.

qotd: I read them mostly for entertainment, and also to see if there are any big red flags around failures, etc..

Daydreamer1

Hammer actually has a few good products. They do really irritate me though. It seems like they want to market something for everything and that makes them seem like a bunch of shysters.  Some of the reviews I really suspect are their own employees. Like the ones for the tissue rejuvenator  which is mostly Glucosamine.  People were saying crap like they could barely walk, took a couple of the pills and pr'd a marathon .

Sitting at my desk watching the weather station showing that the wind is between 18-36 MPH. Getting some nice drifts in the back yard.

NorthernHarrier

Chilly but sunny on Florida's emerald coast. Been alternating between 5 mile beach runs and 10 mile trail runs on a decent single track about 20 minutes away. Sadly most of the eye candy is wearing sweatshirts because of the weather.   Still, while a little chilly it is far better then Siberia (aka Wi.).

QOTD--I read the reviews of everything I can. It isn't too difficult to discern the bullshit and morons from a meaningful review. I wouldn't travel these days w/o trip advisor as an example. Shoe reviews can be a real adventure though. I remember one where they guy said how great the new shoes looked and felt wearing them at the mall.  (trail shoes)

Pretty much my opinion. Sometimes Heed is palatable when I am in need.  Clever marketing though.