Trailer Trash

Help me save (and not sabotage) my season (Read 56 times)

Watoni

Well, I am low, low, low on miles this year (under 300, and around 30,000 vertical). I have ridden a little over 600 hilly miles on the bike, but that is low as well.

Dilemma: 118km race with about 6,000 meters of climbing June 27 in Europe (part of a family vacation), then want to do at least a September 100 miler.

I figure I have at least 4 good weeks for an endurance block, an easy week, some last tune up runs the final week and then off to Europe on the 22nd.

I have no plan but to try to run as much as I can this week, and see if I can do at least 50-80 mpw for four weeks with lots of vertical. I do not think I did more than 50-55 mpw ever training for Leadville, but I was fitter and had two 50-milers and some good cycling in me.

If I feel good I will ride a hilly 200k on the 21st (I will bail on the 200-miler most likely).

Any suggestions?

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

How far back are some continuous higher-mileage (above 40) weeks? This can give you an idea about your staus. How far with how many vert ft on terrain similar to your goal race do you feel comfortable running now (today)? If I were you, I'd stick with 50 to 55 mpw, but run smartly. Some shorter (8-10 mile) fast runs, alternating with long (13+ miles)hard runs, and scratch the easy, very long runs. Two rest days per week, or not more than 4 miles each on these, should offset the intensity and give your body time to build up. I'd do three intense weeks, then one slightly easier week with an easy long run instead a hard one. Remaining weeks on high intensity again, and two weeks of tapering with shorter, but fast runs. This is a regimen that would work for me, but I know people here have been successful with completely different last-minute-build-up programs. I'd also do some extra strength training for 2 weeks, then no strenght training for a week, then again for one week. The idea is to build up, but not overload joints and tendons.

Run for fun.

Watoni

Thanks, Couch!

I am not quite sure how far/fast I could run now, but I have done a few 20+ mile runs this year with significant elevation gain and been fine.

One question about the program is that I see many people before 100s doing 20 mile B2B runs. This will be a long event so I am wondering whether a few of those will help.

My thought is whatever speed I have, I have. I need to prepare the tendons and get the best endurance prep I can.

Cheers,

Jeff

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

B2B runs are good, but not as much essential as you may think. If you do medium long runs throughout the week, it also gives you good endurance. I'd try to get a "short" B2B in next week, like 20/15, and another one, like 25/20 or 25/15 the week (or two weeks) after that, if you have the time. The secret now is to build muscle, and not overload tendons, rather stretch them gently. Whatever you do, don't fall for panically doing too much now, just a good build-up.

Run for fun.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Jeff, I am not sure why you would want to suffer through a 118km race during a nice family vacation to Europe while being under trained?  Is it possible to run part of the race and then just DNF and call it a good training run?  300 miles for the year is not any sort of base to go off of and ramping up to 50-80mpw sounds like injury just waiting to happen.

Running is dumb.

Watoni

Jeff, I am not sure why you would want to suffer through a 118km race during a nice family vacation to Europe while being under trained?  Is it possible to run part of the race and then just DNF and call it a good training run?  300 miles for the year is not any sort of base to go off of and ramping up to 50-80mpw sounds like injury just waiting to happen.

Geez, Mandy, not sure why you would want to inject a dose of reality into my life Wink I am committed at least financially on the run and am hoping it will be a stepping stone to Pine to Palm or the Bear in September, so I need to do something.

Most importantly, I will not get too many opportunities to run in the Dolomites with my family there, so I am determined to give it a shot.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Watoni, how are things coming together? One more thing I'd like to mention is, that if you don't get you runs in as planned, just lace up your shoes and go for a few miles, whatever time it is. Or try to get in something like 3 quick miles in the morning, so that you have at least something to build on before life strikes. Always remember, every mile counts, and your runs don't have to be perfect, just get some miles in.

Run for fun.

Watoni

Watoni, how are things coming together? One more thing I'd like to mention is, that if you don't get you runs in as planned, just lace up your shoes and go for a few miles, whatever time it is. Or try to get in something like 3 quick miles in the morning, so that you have at least something to build on before life strikes. Always remember, every mile counts, and your runs don't have to be perfect, just get some miles in.

Thank you!

Got in some of those shortish imperfect runs this week, along with a nice 16 miles yesterday with good vertical (one five mile, 2200 foot climb helps that). Took some pictures and had fun. Trying to link the pics with my new phone but having issues ....

Probably a ride today (recovering more from the school auction and dancing until the wee hours than from the run).

If you don't treat it like a race and just have an enjoyable run, it should be doable.  Due to a HUGE injury, I ran Hardrock on 456 miles of training in the preceding 12 months last year (and my longest run was 18 miles). It wasn't pretty, and it was 8 hours slower than normal, but I had fun and got it done.

I say go for it. :-)

- Chris