Trailer Trash

Fatigue (Read 47 times)

Birdwell

When do you push through it and when do you take a break?

I've been ramping up a bit lately (over the last 3 weeks or so) and it seems to have taken its tole on me over the last few runs. This mornings run was a disaster and I walked it in after 3 miles. I couldn't get my legs turning over and I'm feeling some lingering DOMS in the thighs and calves.

I feel a need to get the miles in, mainly because I've finally hit the magic 40 miles per week and I'd like to keep it up. I'm training for a race in November, but I'm considering this my "base building" period. I also think that running through the fatigue could be good training, in that it teaches me to run on tired legs.

Should I keep pushing? take a break? get in some walking miles? 

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Are you eating enough?  (No, you're trying to lose weight.)  Are you sleeping enough?  (No, you have a new baby.)

There's your problem. 

Stop ramping up your miles.  Take a cut back week.  Take a day or two where you're not cutting calories.  Make sure you're getting enough iron.  Try again next week.  One week won't hurt anything for November.

Running is dumb.

AT-runner

Tim

As I increase mileage, every 3rd to 4th week is a cut-back week.  The rest gives me time to recover and prepare for the next few weeks.  I don't get DOMS too often, but will fell fatigued on some runs.  After a cut-back week, things usually feel better.

Where's John M? - He always has some good info on rest and recovery.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

LB2

Same thing happened to me last week. I scaled it back a couple of days and feel much better now. And like AT mentioned, John usually has some good information on recovery/rest. I think he says something about a hard, hard, medium, easy on a four week pattern or something like that.

It is really easy to lose your focus while thinking you are being very focused. I would definitely scale it back for a week or so. Sometimes I feel like crap and a run rejuvenates me. Other times, I know it is time to take a break, like last weekend. I am so glad I did. And if I don't make my mileage/time goals for June, it is okay. I know I can finish my race on much less mileage/time than I have planned. I would rather do that than push too hard when I shouldn't and end up not even starting the race or starting overly fatigued. I have had both of those things happen to me before.

LB2

jonferg67

Endless trails

I think this is something alot of us here struggle with, I know I do. I remember reading

that you recently went over 40 mpw for several weeks in a row, but I don't remember

you mentioning a cut-back week. I think that's the culprit.

I admit that I get a little caught up with my numbers (weekly mileage/LR distance), and

I want to keep the momentum going, but then I feel fatigue for no apparent reason. In

fact this just happened to me about 1 week ago, and looking back at my numbers I'd

ramped up a little, but didn't include a rest/recovery period. Not only that, I'm such a stubborn

nucklehead I'm still planning a longish mileage week this week too!

XtremeTaper

<Puts on JohnM hat>

Rest is highly underrated by the ultrarunner.

</Puts on JohnM hat>

I like a cutback every 3rd or 4th week, but if your body is telling you something insert cutbacks as needed.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Birdwell

How much should a person run during a cutback week?

Should I aim for a particular percentage? or just whatever feels right?

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

start drinking heavily.

You people have issues 

Sandy-2

I agree, take a cutback week. Mine are about 50 to 60 percent of the higher mile weeks.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I think the lack of sleep (and quality of sleep) plays in, too. Maybe a nap during the day sometimes could help, too.

I sometimes take two or three days in a row off from running to recover. This can work miracles for me. Easy weeks are important, too, also to get your mind motivated again.

Run for fun.