Trailer Trash

WTF Weather Wednesdaily (Read 19 times)

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

we are above 0 this morning- don't know wether to celebrate or prepare for the apocalypse 

going to try some hill repeats this evening (took a rest day yesterday, shoulder still tweaked so no strength training)

qotd: have you ever used trekking poles for a run/race?  I use them frequently on long runs in the mountains and used them for the first time last fall at the Rut Run race- without any shadow of a doubt, they helped.  Obviously not useful in all races, but I've if there is significant up/down worth considering.

qotd yesterday: hope to rent a USFS cabin in the next couple of weeks, ski in and stay a night or two.

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

AT-runner

Tim

It's Hump Day!!!

Brought stuff or a run over lunch, but have a lot to do, so we'll see if I get out or not.  If not, I might jump in and run with the Beer Runners tonight.

Warden - enjoy the warm-up. 

QOTD:  Yes, for training and once for a race.  I have the Z-poles and they collapse easily and are lightweight.  The race I used them made a big difference with some of the late climbs but I really liked them for the steep downhills.  Also used them in the Grand Canyon and they were pretty much a necessity.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Daydreamer1

Getting ready to head off to the gym. Really didn't want to go today but Monday evening was so bad there that I couldn't get in a decent workout in. Seemed like everyone was trying to do circuit training with the free weights.  Hopefully I can focus on some heavy lifting today.  Not sure if cardio will be rowing or some time on the bike.

Warden - Above 0? Prepare for the apocalypse. Hell's fire is coming to Montana .

QOTD: Yea I've used them for several races.  Definitely help a lot. If I were training for a specific race I wouldn't train with them very much though. That way your legs get fully trained then on race day the poles take some of the beating off your legs. I'd probably only train with the poles about 35-40%of the time. Just enough to build up your arms and get coordinated with them.

QOTD from yesterday:  Heading to central Texas the beginning of March to visit some of  DW's family.  That will be a 10 day trip. Hope all of you down that way are getting ready for the ice storm that is sure to hit over that time .    For the fall we are looking at Jasper Alberta and maybe Montana if the runners rendezvous is still on the calendar.

muppy

7.3 miles on the rail trail/abandoned road in a rainy 35*, i cut the run short because weather and legs felt lousy.

Qotd never used poles.

Yesterdays QOTD I'm going to St Croix, in the Virgin Islands for our honeymoon for 7 days!

Gator eye

6 miles on the ice, dirt roads are covered

QOtD: i used treking poles just this morning, they work well on ice to keep from face planting. I also use them during the later parts of races, they really help save on the quads and lower back going down hills. I feel they help more going down hill than going up

Queen of Nothing

Sue

The old man got home last night so umm did get up and run this morning.  Have stuff to go to gym at lunch but to do weights not run.  Not even going to bother saying I will try to run later. 

QOTD:  No but a friend used them for hiking and swears it helped develop a nice six pack on her.  So maybe they are worth trying.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Sandy-2

Arrived in London and did the worst thing - took a nap... hope it doesn't mess up my sleep tonight.  After my nap I did 3 miles around the two parks near my hotel. It was nice and cold and I felt pretty good.

qotd: never have used poles.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

AT-runner

Tim

Arrived in London and did the worst thing - took a nap... hope it doesn't mess up my sleep tonight.  After my nap I did 3 miles around the two parks near my hotel. It was nice and cold and I felt pretty good.

qotd: never have used poles.

They always say don't nap and exercise to beat jet-lag. looks like you've got a 50/50 chance, but you're a seasoned traveler so I'm sure you'll be fine.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Checking in.  I am still alive. The whole fam got hit hard with the stomach thing over the weekend.  I am still feeling some effects from it.  Still running though - not many miles but consistently running.

qotd: yes.  I used them last year at Hyner.  It was an ok experience.  I have a pair of the z poles so being able to fold them up and tuck them away is nice.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

LB2

I ran an early this morning. I think it was 5.25 or so, and I played around with some speedy portions, fartleks. It was fun. Legs are still a little sore from Saturday's climbing, but they are sore in a good way.

QOTD: I have never used poles in a race. I have trained with them, and I think they make a huge difference in decreasing the impact on your quads. Saturday, some of the people I was with had poles. One lady dropped one of her's off a 50 foot bluff (cliff) about 10 minutes into the outing. I went down and got it for her. After that, I moved on ahead, and did a big loop and then some hill work while waiting for them to finish. They had fun.

LB2

runtraildc

Ran 5 earlier with a friend. Nice day to get out-- sunny and warm. Saw the first daffodil greens breaking the ground's surface earlier. Usually see that sign by the end of January.

qotd: No

AT-runner

Tim

qotd: No

I did see someone running with poles on the Rock Creek Trail about 2 years ago. Gave me a chuckle, but then I thought maybe she needed them for some other reason besides hills and terrain.

NHLA

8 miles

qotd  no poles