Trailer Trash

Sunny Sundailies (Read 28 times)

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Morning Trailers!  Beautiful blue skies and sun here today, highs in the low 50's- perfect running weather; will get in a 5-6 mile recovery run today (after going out for breakfast and a green chili pork burrito )

qotd: do you ever take ice bathes after a long run?

I forced myself yesterday to soak for 15 minutes, I ran cool water and eased in, then had two large buckets of ice standing by that I slowly added- I don't think I could have gotten in with ice already added.  My legs did feel better afterwards.

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Don't know what the day holds...if husband just wants to hang at home then I  will probably go for a 6 mile run with the mutts.

QOTD:  i did once...it was so painful on my ankles.  I think it helped the recovery through but never did it again.  Need my ice for drinks.  

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

muppy

5.2 miles yesterday. It is a beautiful sunny and going up to mid 60s today.

QOTD after my first 50 K is the only time I ever took a nice bath, not sure if it helped or not but it was pretty cold!

moonlightrunner

I will be heading out for 9 again tonight with my trusty running partner. I feel very fatigued though. I really think it is because of poor dietary choices. Way too many carbs and not nearly enough protein.

It is a really beautiful day here too. It is supposed to be in the upper 60's.

Qotd: I have never tried it. I just read an article on RWOL about a couple of studies trying to figure out if an ice bath slows conditioning. It makes recovery faster but that postrun inflammation is part of what provides increased conditioning. But..there have only been a couple of studies. After a long run I like to have access to a cold lake...but getting into an icebath probably would not happen...though I might try The Warden method.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

Daydreamer1

SRD.  Spending the day at work and it's gorgeous outside .

QOTD: Never tried a ice bath. Don't think I ever will. Like moon I've been reading some on the ice vs. heat, especially for injuries. There are some people claiming that heat is actually better as it promotes increased circulation.  My last ankle sprain I didn't bother to ice after leaving the aid station. I think it actually had faster short term healing then the ones I put ice on even though it was one of my worst sprains.  Don't know if or how that might relate to recovery after a long run.

some call me Tim

Gorgeous day! 65 and sunny here, and I got in an easy 10 with a mile here and there at MP. It's about freakin time.

qotd: I've done icing in the past, but never the bath! And yes, add my voice to the chorus that's left it behind. As it was explained to me, it causes lymph to pool instead of, you know, doing its job, and injuries tend to heal more slowly. Given that the negative effects are not yet well studied, but more to the point there's no scientific proof it does any *good* either... been widespread since at least the 70's, widely studied, you'd think its efficacy would be well established, but it's not. It numbs the pain and it's cheap, so I guess there's that.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Missed my race today because they had posted a wrong start time. 

So, to get some lemonade out of this lemon, I decided to do the run anyway, and take the kids on their bikes along. DH drove them up the mountain while I ran up, and they rode down and further on to the lake with me. Well, more or less with me, at times ahead, and later way behind because the creeks along the way were much more interesting. They even saw a "punk groundhog" (porcupine) in the woods.

Had a picnic with BBQ and hot chocolate at the lake. It was a nice day after all.

QOTD: I never have, at least not after exercise. I have taken ice baths in the river in winter, and after sauna, though.

Just as darg said, I don't see any advantages have been established yet, so I go with old school, taking hot showers after long runs.

Run for fun.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Trying to get in some trail running any time it's feasible. Drove up to Valley Forge for 11.5 miles on the Mt Joy and Mt Misery trails. They beat me up pretty bad by the end. Unintentionally took a 2 hour nap this evening.

QOTD: No way I would ever take an ice bath. I'm more likely to soak in a warm one.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                        05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.