Trailer Trash

Dizziness when eating after a run/race (Read 39 times)

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

This is not about me, but a running friend.

She runs up to HM distance, and does one or two HM races annually. Now, she is not the best trained runner, and so in the races, she really gives everything and goes up to and maybe beyond her limits. She finishes the races, feels exhausted but fine, walks around after crossing the finish line to cool down, has sips of water, and starts eating about 1/2 hour after finishing.

Right after having eaten a few bites, she gets terribly light-headed, up to the point where she thinks she might faint. She has to sit down (or lie down) for several minutes, until her condition improves. She has tried eating right after finishing, or waiting up to 1/2 hour afterwards, but it's always the same. She says she feels quite hungry right after the race, so delaying eating is not comfortable.

She eats well before the race (or long runs), typically a bagel with peanut butter, and she seems to have an iron stomach with no problems during the race.

She eats a few sports jelly beans and water during the race, and has tried different foods, like jelly beans, bagel, or some other real food after the race, always with the same effect of making her dizzy, lightheaded and weak.

Suggestions, anyone? (Except for more training before the race)

Run for fun.

AT-runner

Tim

Without knowing her whole history, including medications, it sounds like postpradial hypotension (translation = after eating drop in blood pressure).  This is a drop in blood pressure due to shunting of blood to the stomach to aid in digestion.  In most people it's no big deal but in some it can cause dizziness, nausea, etc.  It's worse with mild dehydration, so may fit her post-exercise picture.  Drinking (not sipping) water 15 minutes before eating can help.  She should talk to her MD and get blood work done to rule out anemia and blood sugar issues.  Good luck.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

SillyC

I was going to say the same thing as AT-Runner.  Before I got old and my blood pressure started to rise, I would occasionally get postprandial hypotension.  Also, post exercise hypotension, which I still get even though my BP is borderline high.  Sounds like the two are working together here.  Maybe she should try some electrolytes?  Don't know if they'd actually help.