Trailer Trash

Falling Down (Read 22 times)

moonlightrunner

I have not been posting very consistently, but I am hoping I can get some advice from you all.

I have been running trails exclusively for many years, and for the last nearly 10 of them in minimalist footwear. I trip and fall A LOT, and it seems to be getting worse. I fall almost every time I run now. Toe breakers, face plants, elbow and shoulder bruisers. I run rocky, wooded trails...some technical areas but nothing extensively extreme.

This just does not seem normal. Do any of you fall in a regular basis? I am going to try and alter my gait and pick up my feet higher to see if that helps. I am an older runner, and I am not sure if decreased visual accuity may have a role. Most of what I trip and fall on are the very small and close to the ground little f ing stumps.

I have not yet broken any bones...but one of these days I suspect my nose may not get through a fall in one piece. The problem has eroded my confidence and any chance at regaining any speed at all.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

Daydreamer1

I suspect that this is a area where everyone falls for different reasons.  I actually can't remember the last time I fell. I used to fall a lot. Mostly it was from catching my foot on something. My major problem has been ankle rolls. I think the reason I fall less now is because I'm only a good ankle roll or two away from surgery so I take it quite easy. It really has affected my speed.

I realized that most of my falls were coming from catching my left toe on something. I have a old back injury that left me with nerve damage in that  leg resulting in some slight foot drop.  Other than paying attention to lifting my feet more there wasn't much I could do to eliminate that.  I also try to work on my proprioception some. I do this by trying to balance on one leg as well as using a BOSU ball.

Eyesight: Do you wear glasses especially multivision lenses (aka bi-focals)?  Some people claim that causes them problems just walking.  My lenses are progressive and I've never had a  problem seeing with them.  Have you gotten into a habit of looking too much at your feet or looking too far ahead or at the scenery?  I know if I find myself looking down a lot I have as much problems as if I'm not looking at the trail. Just wondering if you might have developed some bad form/habits without realizing it.

Footwear: Since you've been using this type of footwear for quite awhile it seems strange that it would be that. There is one possibility here. Is it possible that your feet are taking too much of a beating from the minimalistic shoes? This could be causing you to subconsciously keep your feet closer to the ground resulting in them catching on objects.

Are you finding that you're stubbing your toes or are you also falling from ankle rolls?  Are you having any balance problems when not running?

Just a few thoughts, don't know if any of it will help.

AT-runner

Tim

No, it's just you. 

Agree with dreamer in that it may be different for everyone.  I run on very rocky rooted trails that would be considered extremely technical (typical for most of PA).  I fall once in a while, and it usually has to do with lack of attention or fatigue near the end of a long run.

I have progressive lenses, but never were them running. I were contact lenses or a pair of single prescription glasses so my depth perception isn't altered too much. Works for me, but I'm sure others can run in bifocals or progressive lenses.

Shoes make a difference, and I use "responsive" shoes. By that I mean trail shoes that let me feel what's underfoot easily to avoid tripping.  Currently Inov8's work well for me. Also Atlra Lone Peak's.  I don't like to wear my Olympus' or any Hoka shoes on technical trails, as I feel there is too much cushion between my foot and the ground.

Gait is extremely important, and clearing the toe above any obstacle is paramount. When I was a marathoner, I was a heel striker. After switching to trails, I slowly morphed into a mid-foot striker and learned to land lighter on my feet and to not lock out the knees.  This keeps me ready to adapt to any balance changes that the trail throws at me.

Question - What part of your foot do you hit that makes you fall?  Is it after you are tired or anytime?  Why don't you post more  ?

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

That is interesting.  Not sure I have any good answers.  I don't fall much anymore.  When I first started running trails, I had some good falls (as in almost slammed my face on a pointy rock) so I slowed down.  I rarely go very fast on technical trails.  When I do trip (and catch myself) it's because I became complacent.  It is usually a stump or something that is low to the ground and really shouldn't trip me but it does.  Occasionally I wish I would just fall because the whole jerking motion of my body trying to keep myself on my feet seems to reverberate through my back...and that's not a good thing.

It might be your vision. Or maybe the change to minimalist shoes.  Hard to say.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

LB2

I am most likely to fall in a race. And most likely that fall will be associated with not picking up my feet or running too fast. However, last year at the Cottonmouth 100 about a 3 foot long stick got caught under my shoe laces and the other end jabbed into the ground, sending me tumbling. It was a freak accident, but no damage was done. I think that for the most part if you slow down a little and focus on picking your steps (and picking your feet up) you can fix a lot of that. I think speed will take care of itself through higher efficiency for the most part, not that I am anyone to talk about speed.

LB2

runtraildc

Moonlight-- how is your core strength?  Often, a stronger core= stronger ability to stay upright.  The more I've worked on my core, the less I fall.  And when I do trip, which is usually on the tiny roots and rocks, I am much more likely to catch myself instead of hitting the ground.  For me, yoga helps a lot, also strength training including a new wobble board (standing and sitting on it).  I've never worn minimalist, so I cannot speak to how they may help avoid or contribute to falling.

And this is coming from the runner who tripped on her basement steps  and messed up her foot, so you may want to take my words with a grain of salt.

XtremeTaper

I go through periods of frequent falling. Maybe it's moon or tidal related. LOL. But lately I've been pretty good. I think only 1 or 2 falls last month. It seems a year ago it was more of a weekly thing but it could be related to the fact the 80% of my running is on technical trails. Catching a toe on a root, rock, or one of those tiny little sapling stumps. I sort of believe runtrail is on to something with the core and yoga recommendations. That and balancing exercises will help you when the inevitable happens and the trail reaches out to grab you.

Footwear.. I don't think that makes a big difference assuming you are accustom to your current shoes. I had a rather crazy spell of falling when I moved into the Altras, zero drop shoes. I was flying and tumbling quite often... several times a week. One run with my friend I spilled about 3 times in 2 miles. Ha. I might have been tired then too. Now I am used to the zero drop shoes and that no longer happens (the frequency bit).

Just wanted to say you are not alone. Weird too... most of my falls my mind has just wandered into something stupid and boom down I go.

LB2 - Funny, I do some shorter trail races now and then (5k-20k) and the pace is pretty intense. I tend not to fall in those races and I am moving pretty good. When I do training runs on the same terrain I wonder how the heck I run that pace without crashing. Weird.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I hesitate posting this because I don't want cause needless worry, but okay, sorry, here it goes.  A trail runner from Chicago who I knew briefly through friends was diagnosed with ALS.  His first symptoms were frequently falling for no reason while trail running.  Okay, you most likely, probably, I am 99.999% sure, don't have ALS!!!!  But just in case you have some other weird issues going on in the future, perhaps it's something check out or ask your doctor about.

Also, I agree with runtrail that working on your core strength will probably help!

Running is dumb.

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

I consider it a good day when I don't fall. I probably fall 1 out of every 5 trail runs. During a race in February I fell 3 times. No, I don't have ALS; yes, I am a huge klutz; yes, my eyesight sucks and I struggle with depth perception.

You people have issues 

Daydreamer1

I hesitate posting this because I don't want cause needless worry, but okay, sorry, here it goes.  A trail runner from Chicago who I knew briefly through friends was diagnosed with ALS.  His first symptoms were frequently falling for no reason while trail running.  Okay, you most likely, probably, I am 99.999% sure, don't have ALS!!!!  But just in case you have some other weird issues going on in the future, perhaps it's something check out or ask your doctor about.

Also, I agree with runtrail that working on your core strength will probably help!

I don't want to pile on here and scare anyone, but I was thinking about conditions like this as well and there are more neuromuscular conditions than ALS that could cause it. A few years back one of the local runners was having some problems with falling and posted on FB that she was had a genetic condition that was going to make her stop running trails. She no longer posts or runs any of the trail races so I have no idea how that turned out. This was why I asked about balance problems when doing things other than running.

Again I'm not trying to be alarmist here, just one of the many possibilities.  FWIW, I will occasionally get the dropsies. Anything I pick up will be dropped. Even broken a few glasses and made quite a few messes. Always gets me concerned until I evaluate myself in other ways and realize that It's just me being careless and not grasping items as tight as I should.

NHLA

Usually when I fall its on a most difficult trail - durring a race - or after 45 min of hard trails.

Its hard to look for every rock and root after 45 min. I go into lala land and hit the ground.

I had a high ankle sprain that would cause me to lose range of motion and control of rt foot and that caused alot of falls.

moonlightrunner

Thank you for all the replies...I just skimmed them and will read close tonight and probably come back with more questions...

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Usually when I fall its on a most difficult trail - durring a race - or after 45 min of hard trails.

Its hard to look for every rock and root after 45 min. I go into lala land and hit the ground.

I had a high ankle sprain that would cause me to lose range of motion and control of rt foot and that caused alot of falls.

Good point.  Most of my falls are later in my runs (1-2 hours in) when I'm a tired and less alert.  I try to tell myself "pick up your feet" but ...

You people have issues 

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I trip a lot but am able to right myself up most of the time.  Sometimes the effort to stay up takes a lot out of you and as Jamie said maybe it was better to just fall. 

Here is my theory based on what I know about you...  You are extremely busy, you went from living alone to having your daughter and 2 grand babies there.  Your daughter came from and still dealing with a bad situation.  You have taken over for the grandbabies as the second parent.  You are no longer a spring chicken  (going for humor there) so I think when you are out running you are dealing with two things; your mind may be wandering on all the things you need to do and your mental and physical exhaustion.  So now when you trip/stumble you just fall because it either took you by surprise or was too much effort to stop it.  You mentioned face plants.  Those falls usually happen when you never saw it coming because your mind was else where.

You are have been an awesome Mother and Grandmother...time to think about you.  Time for more time for you.  Don't know how that can be accomplished but maybe you can ask friends to help out.  Maybe Granddad can help...sometimes we would love to help our friends but we didn't realize they need it or what to do.  I know it is hard to ask for help.. but the worse thing that would happens is they say no, which isn't so bad because then you know they are your friend.

If I am way off based than I will just stick with your getting cluzy and maybe should get your eyes checked.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

NorthernHarrier

Oh Moonlight, you just have to be at peace with your old age. 

My first guess would also be the eyesight/glasses thing as mentioned. Certainly our balance and core strength goes to hell as we age too.

For me while I seldom fall, (maybe only a 2-3  times per year) it is seldom on the real gnarly stuff where I am really focused but usually on some nice and smooth trail surface where my mind wanders and then my toe catches something and away I go. I have learned to not fight the fall but kinda do a rolling splat and try to tuck my arms in so I don't break something. If the fall goes right the only worry for me is if I bust my phone which is in my waist pack.

One other note--About 9 months ago I was reeled in while running some semi-technical single track around here by a younger and much faster guy. We chatted a bit and he said that as he was reeling me in he could tell that I was an experienced trail runner by my stride through the stuff but also because I wasn't "selling out" on the trail. I tried to tell him I really am going as fast as I can but I'm just old and pathetic. . Anyway, maybe you're "selling out" too much. Maybe slow down and sort of roll with the terrain.

I really doubt it's your footwear if that's what you've always worn though I do agree with Daydreamer regarding the minimalist thought he suggested.  But practice those falls to land more softly with a roll so you don't bust up your body.