Trailer Trash

Buggy Muggy Weekender (Read 20 times)

AT-runner

Tim

We got out early for some trail miles and it didn't;t matter, it was hot, humid and the bugs were like something out of a horror movie.  DW doesn't usually get bothered by them as much as I do, but today she had had it.  We ended up dropping onto a sunny road and that helped a bit.  The trade off was being in the direct sun and feeling the heat come off the hot road.  Man what a sucky run.  But we did it.  We might go out later tonight and do a night run and then skip tomorrow, since it's supposed to be even hotter.  Heat index was over 100 when we stopped (89 when we started).

Hope Bert is keeping cooled off in his race.

QOTD:  Where do you listen to music, work, home, car, running, all the above?   I have music playing at the office, and in the car I have XM radio and listen to either music or uncensored comedy.  We have friends who drive without the radio on. I don't know how they do that, I have to have something on while driving.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

GC100k

Ya, the biting flies were intense today. Drove me nuts. I did a 2.5 hour loop: road, trail, AT, trail, road, home. First time I actually ran from the AT to my house. Probably the last. I hate running on roads with traffic. But like you said, it was a relief to get out on the sunny road and away from the flies.

QOTD: I pretty much always have to have noise, either music or podcasts. Running, in the car, home, working, whatever. When people say "people in the modern world today just can't take quiet...", they're ranting about me. That being said, I didn't have the headphones in on the trail today and it was nice. Just the pleasant sounds of me continuously slapping my own head to kill flies. Note to self: next time wear a hat.

moonlightrunner

No run today, but later I will go take a spin on the Eliptigo. I am visiting the grandkids...it is soooo hot! I can't imagine a long run in this heat. I need to stock up on my Deep Woods Off befote I hit the trail tomorrow.

I hope racers and you all are faring well. Warden, I suspect you are nicely cool in your Montana paradise.

Qotd: I just bought Bluetooth ear buds. I have to use them at work because an annoying coworker NEVER stops talking. I listen to Pandora...60's 70's and 80's. I don't listen to music while running.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

Not buggy or muggy here, sorry folks.  27 miles from Purisima Canyon to Huddart Park to Wunderlich Park and back.  Good hill and heat training (4133' climbing, 80s).  The warmest temps were on the Bay side of the hill, glad to turn around and get back to the cooler temps on the ocean side.

QOTD: I'm one of those weird people who do not listen to anything, unless there's baseball or football on the radio.  I used to listen to news, but now it's always such a downer, I prefer the quiet.

Queen, in addition to me and Neil Young, you should also come to HMB because of Purisima Canyon, my happy place.

Moonlight, you enjoying the eliptigo?  Looks like a good workout with low impact.

Warden-ish selfie:

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Gatsby- nice, but needs to be a little more stern

Ran with the local running group- 20-ish miles in the Elkhorn Mountains; one of those near perfect days- upper 40's when we took off from the trailhead, never got above mid-60's and had decent cloud cover (and a slight breeze) most of the day.

We encountered a pretty tough stretch of blowdown on one of the steep climbs, but fortunately it was confined to roughly a 1/2 mile or so.  Saw a cow moose and calf and the saw a couple of different groups of elk (at a distance).

wait for it......

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Hmmm oldman leaving 8/7...dies oarknallow dogs?

Not buggy or muggy here, sorry folks.  27 miles from Purisima Canyon to Huddart Park to Wunderlich Park and back.  Good hill and heat training (4133' climbing, 80s).  The warmest temps were on the Bay side of the hill, glad to turn around and get back to the cooler temps on the ocean side.

QOTD: I'm one of those weird people who do not listen to anything, unless there's baseball or football on the radio.  I used to listen to news, but now it's always such a downer, I prefer the quiet.

Queen, in addition to me and Neil Young, you should also come to HMB because of Purisima Canyon, my happy place.

Moonlight, you enjoying the eliptigo?  Looks like a good workout with low impact.

Warden-ish selfie:

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Gatsby, Warden - Nice pics!  You're making us suffering east coasters jealous. 

Dropped from the race after 44.4 miles in just over 11 hours.  With a race in temps hitting 90 and humid, you'd think it would be the usual suspects to be your demise - dehydration, over-heating, stomach issues, nausea, blisters, etc.  Nope.  It was my balls.  Not that they weren't big enough for the job, but a nasty chaffing rash made it too painful to even walk.  It snuck up on me fast, and when I first felt the stinging after about 7 hours, I stopped, cleaned up, changed into dry clothes, applied a lot of Vaseline to the affected area, reapplied Body Glide around it, and that appeared to do the trick.  4 hours later the stinging returned, but worse.  I contemplated another stop and clean, but I wasn't sure how bad it really was and the thought of developing an infection in that area pretty much sealed the deal for me.  Sucks because I was on pace to hit about 47 after 12 daytime hours and the cooler night weather was starting to set in.  I survived the heat (and bugs) pretty well.  But my balls did not.  I've never had this issue before, but then again I never tried to run an ultra in 90 degrees either.

QOTD:  I listen to music in the car, but pretty much nowhere else.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

AT-runner

Tim

Dropped from the race after 44.4 miles in just over 11 hours.  With a race in temps hitting 90 and humid, you'd think it would be the usual suspects to be your demise - dehydration, over-heating, stomach issues, nausea, blisters, etc.  Nope.  It was my balls.  Not that they weren't big enough for the job, but a nasty chaffing rash made it too painful to even walk.  It snuck up on me fast, and when I first felt the stinging after about 7 hours, I stopped, cleaned up, changed into dry clothes, applied a lot of Vaseline to the affected area, reapplied Body Glide around it, and that appeared to do the trick.  4 hours later the stinging returned, but worse.  I contemplated another stop and clean, but I wasn't sure how bad it really was and the thought of developing an infection in that area pretty much sealed the deal for me.  Sucks because I was on pace to hit about 47 after 12 daytime hours and the cooler night weather was starting to set in.  I survived the heat (and bugs) pretty well.  But my balls did not.  I've never had this issue before, but then again I never tried to run an ultra in 90 degrees either.

Sorry to hear about your BNF (Balls - No Finish).

The RD posted a race picture for you.

Here is a possible solution.

On a serous note, compression shorts can really help, but staying dry is the best solution, so changing shorts when they get soaked helps. Once shorts are really wet with sweat, the salt makes them like 400 grit sand paper, so no beuno.

AT-runner

Tim

We didn't get out as early as I had hoped this morning, so it was a scorcher by the time DW and I hit the trails.  Heat index was over 100 when we finished .  We ran 8+ miles, which I was happy with given the weather.  I was down 4 pounds when we got home, and that's after drinking 32oz of fluid in the car, plus what I drank while running.  That's a hell of a lot to drop in 8 miles.  Bugs weren't too bad today, so maybe it was too hot for them.

Gator - nice selfie. Baseball and Football on the radio, you'd get along with my DW.  I should fly her out to hang with the CA / NV cougars. She's just like Sue, with 1/2 the alcohol.  

Moon - any elliptigo falls yet?  We have a friend who's fallen off 2-3 times. But she trips just walking.

GC - I'm 10 miles from closest AT lot, so never run there. I always have to drive.

Warden - nice looking group.  We gave your name to a woman named Alicia who moved from Gettysburg to Helena.  I hope she calls you because she's looking for a group to run with.

DW in the Rhodondendrons

XtremeTaper

Sweltering here, but I ran "early" for me today at 8:30am. I am such a slacker when it comes to rising early. I suppose if I was training I'd have more focus. Just 6 miles this morning. Not too bad actually, most of the run was in the shade. Yesterday, not sure what happened. Can't blame the heat but I just had no energy to do more than a trail jog. Knee was sort of whonky I suppose too, and the rocky terrain did not help. About 7 miles in 95 minutes yesterday, today was 6 in 1 hour on the dot, but easier surface.

Spent yesterday afternoon at Nemours Estate, touring one of the DuPont mansions. Due to the heat, the missus was not up to strolling the huge formal garden but they had an AC bus that pretty much took you through the whole thing.

QOTD: Car for the most part. Sirius XM. Once in awhile I will crank up some tunes at the house. Old CD's yes.

Berto - Yike on the chafed balls. I had chafed Johnson after my second marathon. There was even blood. A bit surprising, but it was a big PR and BQ so a few days of no sex was ok. I am pretty susceptible to crotch rot in long races. Besides constant lubing, I have gone to wearing form fitting wicking panties (haha, not whacking, wicking) under my shorts. It's helped tremendously in that department.

Gatsby, Warden - Nice photos and selfies. Gatsby, is that a stream or trail? Sort of looks like some of our PA trails.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Daydreamer1

5.3 miles in 95-97 degrees .

Sounds like Bert-o needs a little of this.

https://www.bagbalm.com/images/uploads/BagBalm-8oz-Cow-443x502.png

https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/b/cow-itchy-udder-standing-three-legs-licking-her-30718436.jpg

Because if it good enough for her.................................

https://media.istockphoto.com/photos/large-charolais-bull-picture-id175592445

It's good enough for him  .

QOTD:  Always on the TM or Elliptical. Sometimes in the car. I let my XM radio expire.  I don't really listen to music that much anymore. It's gives the voices more time to speak up .

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Sorry to hear about your BNF (Balls - No Finish).

The RD posted a race picture for you.

HAHA!  Yes, those scuff marks look pretty accurate.

I did get a "finisher" medal though as I told the RD I was bailing.

He was a really nice guy, and he asked me about the trail.  It was a nice trail to race on, meaning there was plenty of exposed roots and rocks to keep you focused (I tripped up many times, even walking) and no real stretches to get to relax a bit.  Nothing boring about it.

From your run today, with all that vegetation, it looks like a Southeast Asian jungle out there!  Probably felt like it too.

XT - Yikes about your PR marathon!  Trust me, the thought of chaffing that next part of the body also weighed heavily on my mind.  Nice miles today!

Dreamer - Nice job on your run!  I'll have to look into that balm.  It's better today.  I can walk without spreading my legs 18 inches apart. 

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

bert- that doesn't sound like fun Sad  I liberally apply Body Glide before any long run, but also keep a 1 ounce tube of Sport Slick in my pack- at the earliest signs of chaffing, I apply

In my experience I don't think vaseline is as good as the above

qotd: I listen to the radio on the way to/from work (it's only a 10 minute drive), listen to my ipod when at the gym and occasionally when running

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Sandy-2

Hey Gang, I'm back from Germany.  Been really busy working or not so busy havin' a few beers, so I didn't have time to check in.  I did run each morning.  I had to since it was upper 50s / low 60s each morning.  I was in heaven.

I slept in late this morning and did 5 mi, it was rough getting back into the feaking hot and humid stuff again.  But our "bug season" has passed... as long as you stay away from the streams.

qotd:  All the time in the car, and a lot of time at home (especially when I'm doing projects or cleaning).  Never at work or running.

tbd.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Typical Sue style it’s Sunday and no run for the weekend you know since my training should be peaking right now.  Someone needs to remind me that long races take a lot of training...something I lack at.    Well I did have fun boating yesterday.  Plan is to get up and run a couple hours tomorrow.

Qotd: I definitely listen in the car and have music going while I do chores...we have speakers outside.  Occasionally at work when co-workers get on my nerve or I just need to change my mood to motivate.

Berto- sorry about the balls...can’t believe no one has designed a better ball bra than that ball catcher!   Ever think about having them removed? 

Nice pucs Warden, Gats y and AT.

AT:  Wouldove your wife to come out!!!

moo light: What ear buds...I want to get some to listen to podcast

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄