Trailer Trash

Earl's first 50K: AKA The Tehama Wildflower 50K with special appearance from Chnaiur. (Read 43 times)

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I ran this race two years ago..it was my friends first 50 k and it was horrible. Of the 31 miles, maybe 6 (and I'm being generous) had tree cover and it was over 90 degrees. Two years later, another friend signed up and would be her first 50k. I also knew Chaiur (Bjorn) was thinking about running it. So the week before everything fell in place: it was supposed to be cloudy, hubby was still out of town, race director said I could run with Earl, and running partner agreed to come and camp the night before. Thursday Bjorn received his clearance to come.

Left work early and headed to Red Bluff and had some average Mexican food. We then headed to the start to set camp and drink some beers with Bjorn. He was heading to town for his own mediocre Mexican meal at a different restaurant. He returned and we had a beer or two. Bjorn’s goal was to drink a lot and just get by in the race. He was with the wrong people…when we old ladies wanted to turn in at 10 he gave us a bit of shit. 

Race day. Earl was excited...he saw lots of humans dress in running clothes...this was exciting. Because of his excitement he did not eat his breakfast or take a morning poop. This is Earl's first 50k and he was making first timer errors.

Above, pre-race photo of my girlfriends and Bjorn.   The race began and I hung with the girls for about a mile then started moving forward. At mile two Earl took a dump. This allowed 7 people to pass (with 55 people in the race this was a problem). The course takes you out to a wetlands area that we have to run around later. Someone left a few Easter eggs on the ground but I was willingly to stop for chocolate. Bjorn had on a sleeveless shirt and I could see him 100 to 200 yards ahead. I am a poor estimator. Having left my girlfriends I thought I would catch up to him to at least chat for an hour or so.

It took me 8.41 miles to catch Bjorn, when he recognized a bush that he peed on last year and felt the need to re-pee at his bush. Otherwise it would have been 9 miles. There was one switch back that if I had followed Earl and cut it, we would have caught him at 7. Earl runs like Killian style and cannot understand following the trail when the direct line is straight up.

The trail surface was rough for most of the way. It was either rocky as the picture below shows or dried mud with cow intentions in it. You couldn’t relax most of the run because footing was an issue.

Bjorn, Earl, and I ran together off and on from here on out. At the aid stations I had to take the pack off, get Earl's bowl and force water on him while Bjorn would cruise through. But we would always hook back up at some point.  The turnaround around at mile 16/ 17 is a loop. There was a girl at the top of the hill and I thought she was cheering people on until I saw it was my friend Jill. She ran the 10K earlier and was now drinking a beer. She offered me a drink and I thought, Kelly does this all the time and still kicks ass..so I had a couple of swallows. Yummy cold beer.

This is where I could drop Earl with Jill. It was getting warmer, but I thought he was still good to go. So go we did. Here are my friends coming in as I was going out.

Below is Earl ahead of me. Most of the course is open fields like this. I always think of Thom AKA: Prairie Runner when I see fields.  Earl loved racing. When he saw someone in front of him he just wanted to pick them off. If I had unleashed him I am sure he would have ended up at the finish amongst the winners, but no he had a dead weight tied to the end of him.

The picture below is a plateau. It reminded me of the QOTD about where your running is at: heading to the peak, on the peak, or heading down the peak. I choose the plateau, since I feel I run consistently good and will continue to do so as long as I gave my health.  Although I did peak in this race. 

This is around 23 miles. Bjorn is ahead of me, in fact he is that dark spot past where the tree hit the trail....can't you see the target on his back?? I can..Earl could...

Around mile 24 I was getting concerned about Earl and the heat. I was planning on giving him to Jill if she was at the aid station at mile 25 ish. She was not there. I wanted to finish the race. I was doing good and going to reach my goal of under 6. But then again...Earl… I had to think about him. Right past the aid station we hit a big puddle (the stream was dried but clear deep puddles still existed). He drank and cooled off so I knew I would go to the end. It was around this point Bjorn said he was bored and just working on moving forward. I understood and had put Pearl Jam on about 3 miles ago. It was helping.  Plus we were running this sweet part of the trail.  I love my trees.

With about 4 miles left I passed Bjorn and focused on moving ahead. The last 4 miles have you passing the finish line running out and around a wetlands area. I would stop at all water and encourage Earl to cool off. With about 2 miles left I past a young girl (30s) being paced by her honey. She gave me high fives. I was probably her Grandmother’s age.

At the end, you have to loop the camp area. I past another female: I was wondering if that was rude...but I'm like it's a race you can pass even if it's 100 yards from the finish. At this point Earl was checking out the other dogs and lost his need to lead. I crossed the line first. I ran it in 5:57:29 officially. Two years ago it took me 7:26. When they gave me the medal I put it on Earl and the director said, "Did he run it all, give them another metal". Bjorn finished shortly after and we enjoyed cold beers and average burgers. Bjorn was a poor sport over having lost to Earl and refused to share his burger with him.

It was a good day. It was beautiful and although sunny there was a nice breeze blowing. My running partner finished 6:24. Looking at the results today I noticed I also won the old lady division.  Group selfie, Bjorn had already packed up and left.  It was a good day.

Sue Piscatella's photo.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Chnaiur

Thanks for the great report, Sue! Not much to add from my side...

I was really under-prepared but wanted to break my three-race cancellation streak, and meet up with Sue for the first time. The plan was to drink too much beer, which would make me slow enough to avoid injury. The ladies folded a bit after 10pm, so that didn't work...

For the first four hours I just shuffled along in the heat, but after that I just wanted to be done with it and increased the pace. Next time I'll try running a little bit faster. The pain should keep the boredom away.

This race is really beautiful: narrow trails with green grass and lots of wildflowers. The cons are heat, sun exposure, and a very uneven trail. Both from volcanic rock, and hardened mountain bike tracks.

Most importantly: I want to state for the record that I would have given Earl any amount of burgers if his human had just said yes. Respect the hound!

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

4/19 Tehama Wildflowers 50k

runtraildc

What a great report, Sue!  And congrats to you, Earl (& Bjorn)!  Earl doesn't look tired at all.  How was he the next day?

AT-runner

Tim

Great RR, and thanks for the pics.  Sounds like a fun day on the trials.  Earl did well.  Does he get hos own page on UltraSignup now?

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

muppy

Congratulations to Earl, that's awesome!

Congrats to you and Bjorn also, you had a great time, and won your division! I think Earl earned a burger.....

Watoni

Great job! Early definitely deserves a burger ....

Daydreamer1

Great job. Next time you need to get Earl a bib number.  Reading this makes me miss my pooch.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

What a great report, Sue!  And congrats to you, Earl (& Bjorn)!  Earl doesn't look tired at all.  How was he the next day?

He laid around all day while I had to get chores done,  When I die I want to come back as a dog who is owned by a trail runner.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Congratulations to Earl, that's awesome!

Congrats to you and Bjorn also, you had a great time, and won your division! I think Earl earned a burger.....

I gave him a hot dog.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Great job. Next time you need to get Earl a bib number.  Reading this makes me miss my pooch.

He did get accused of illegally running the course since I hadn't paid. 

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Great RR, and thanks for the pics.  Sounds like a fun day on the trials.  Earl did well.  Does he get hos own page on UltraSignup now?

I think I would need to pay for him to get him on Ultra sign up.

runtraildc

When I die I want to come back as a dog who is owned by a trail runner.

+1

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

congrats on a sub-6 hour finish!  I think it's great you got to run with another forum member, hoping I can do the same some day Smile

congrats to Earl too!

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

moonlightrunner

Congrats to you Bjorn and Earl the Wonder Dog! Dogs make everything.good even better!

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

Sandy-2

Way to go Earl !!!! Nice job and wear that medal proudly.

(Oh yeah, you too QoN and Chnaiur.)

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL