Trailer Trash

Moonlight Monday (Read 14 times)

LB2

I ran an easy 4 this morning. Yesterday, I ran for 3 hours, and my legs were in pretty good shape after that, just the right amount of soreness. I took my time and incorporated some walking, which I was reluctant to do even though I know it is the best thing to do. This morning's run was done as a recovery run in my mind, but I found myself going pretty fast at times with virtually no effort. I also started, this morning, stopping at each two mile loop and doing some push ups and curls with dumb bells. I finished with a set of front raises with the dumb bells and some straight leg dead lifts, also with the dumb bells. I didn't do anything heavy, but I did slow reps and quite a few reps. I really feel like this morning was one of the best runs I have had all year even though it was only 4 miles. I can't wait to do that little workout again, probably Wednesday, but I may start working that resistance training in every day for a different body part. It really felt great.

QOTD: Did you keep up with the Hardrock 100 this weekend? If so, what are your thoughts on Killian Journet winning it after dislocating his shoulder early in the run?

I did keep up a little bit. I think it is very impressive that he continued on after that situation occurred. And I can't imagine what was going through Joe Grant's mind when Journet just left him behind at mile 82.

LB2

runtraildc

I ended up with just over 6 miles yesterday on the canal path. Forgot my water and even though it was a short run, I needed it by the end and dragged myself in. Temps were in the 80s, but also humid. Story of summer.  Today is a rest day. FIL had a stroke this weekend and DH headed out there on a flight last night so kinda waiting around to hear updates.

qotd: holy crap. I missed the end since we were at a swim meet. And no, I cannot fathom being sprinted past at mile 82 by a guy in a body sling.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

No run yet.  I will likely run very low miles this week - treat it as a cutback week.  It's going to be a very busy week! (as if other weeks are not?!?!?! )

LB2 - I am sure I missed it along the way but are you training for something? I see your runs are steadily increasing.

QOTD: I did not follow but could not help but hear or see about Killian.  The guy just might be immortal, or superhuman, or something...

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

LB2

LB2 - I am sure I missed it along the way but are you training for something? I see your runs are steadily increasing.

XT and I are both signed up for Pinhoti in November. I am trying to increase my mileage slowly, and I seem to be holding the pattern well. I tend to stack up the long runs on the front end and burn out before the event and taper too soon. I think I have a better plan for this one. On the other hand, I am also getting nervous and feel like I going to be cramming for this run. I have another 3 to 4 hour run Friday AM, and in August, I have a couple of 4 hour runs and a 6 hour run. In September, at least two 6 to 8 hour runs. And I'll round it out in mid-October with a 10 to 12 hour run or 50 miles. I have no plans to run any organized events prior to November unless they have the fat ass Bobcat Bait, but I don't know if I can deal with 7 loops.

LB2

XtremeTaper

Not much in the running department this weekend. 4 mile shuffle out at French Creek yesterday. Man, the orange loop was packed with day hikers. Rest of the weekend was spent working in the garden/yard, and power lounging on the deck with tunes and strong beer.

Mulled over my MRI report this weekend. Bottom line is a tear in the medial meniscus, on-going arthritis, a bit more noticeable than last time (2011). Saw the doc today and he believes the tear is the majority of my issues at the moment, so recommends to get the knee scoped, then if needed look into Synvisc later for the arthritis. So that is the plan. Date is Aug 10 for the procedure, unless I can get an opening sooner. I guess no need to wait. Looking back at last year I had a couple of nasty falls and crashes on that left knee in late July, but no pain symptoms until October. So who knows on the source and what does it really matter now.

QOTD: Nope, but that is crazy.

LB2 - Pinhoti seems like a pretty big stretch/bad idea for me now this year.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

LB2

I ended up with just over 6 miles yesterday on the canal path. Forgot my water and even though it was a short run, I needed it by the end and dragged myself in. Temps were in the 80s, but also humid. Story of summer.  Today is a rest day. FIL had a stroke this weekend and DH headed out there on a flight last night so kinda waiting around to hear updates.

I hope your FIL gets better. I know how it feels to get that kind of news.

LB2

LB2

LB2 - Pinhoti seems like a pretty big stretch/bad idea for me now this year.

I am sorry to hear that, but it will be tough to get that done so soon after surgery.

It does remind me of a funny story (everything reminds me of a funny story...). Anyway, one week before a 100 mile race in 2015, my brother decided to schedule his vasectomy. I thought that was the dumbest thing I ever heard of, and I told him so. My thing was that I wanted to help him get through one from start to finish because on three occasions he had complete and total meltdowns at 75 miles. He got pissed when I told him that I was planning on having my gall bladder removed at an aid station on the course. And I was considering performing the surgery myself. He actually had to laugh at that one. He didn't finish the race, but I did. I opted to keep my gall bladder because we wasted too much time being lost on the course.

LB2

AT-runner

Tim

XT - sorry to hear about the knee. I'm testing mine out tomorrow.

LB - are you becoming a crosfitter? Push-ups every 2 miles.

DC - 6 miles in that humidity is a long way without water.  Sorry about FIL

Jamie - when is Chincoteague trip? Have fun and go to the Creamery for us.

Walked 15 miles in NY over the weekend. Saw 2 plays and ate dinner at 11:30pm one night ....because your in NY and you can eat at 11:30pm.  Nice getaway weekend, but I could never live there. The noise and rude people are too much for me.

Went to see the 9/11 memorial for the first time and was disappointed by how irreverent it all felt. Too many smiling and laughing foreigners smiling and laughing as they took selfies. I made me a bit upset.  In DC, you would never see that at the Vietnam memorial of the WWII memorial.

QOTD:  Just read about it last night. He's pretty amazing.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Daydreamer1

Steady night at work. Only caught a short nap, came home caught a few minutes more of a nap now have to head back in to test for my CPR certification.  Feeling kind of dead at this point.

Not sure if I'll get in a run or not, if so will probably be short. Only 4-6 miles.

AT - Sorry to hear that about the 9/11 memorial.  Over the past few years there have been a lot of complaints about travelers world wide being irreverent at memorial sites.  A lot of clueless people out there.

QOTD: Whenever I looked at the tracker I couldn't get it to work right.  Wonder if Killian has shoulder problems.  I helped a high school kid pop his shoulder back in place during a game and he went back in and played later.  the kid had a really loose shoulder so he could do that. If it was popped back in pretty quickly it might not have caused him too much pain.  Still he's a beast.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Off to do laundry so I have clean clothes to run in. Also registered for the Piedmont 8-Hour on 11/18 in Powhatan State Park, VA.

qotd: I saw posts about Killian but was paying more attention to the Last Annual Vol State Run instead of Hardrock. It looks like for only the second time in the history of the race they will crown a woman as King of the Road.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

LB2

LB - are you becoming a crosfitter? Push-ups every 2 miles.

Hahaha. Please don't think that. Until I start banging on a tractor tire with an 8lbs maul, I cannot be considered as such. I came around a bend on a trail one winter morning in Alabama and crossed a forest service road. There was a guy out there with a big tractor tire banging on it with a maul. There was a whole crew of them out there for that 50K wearing cross-fit shirts. I think it is a cult.

LB2

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I walked the dogs this morning.  After my long run yesterday and a few beers I was shot!  Didn't want to do anything so read the rest of the afternoon.  Yesterday I had remarked to my running partner on the second run that I was running a good pace; later she said we were slow.  Just now when I uploaded the time I was like WTF I am slow!!!

QOTD:  Only through Gerber's post.  Yea the guy is good and strong.  For folks with young kids remember what Killian's mother said about his childhood; she would never help him.  He had to do it himself.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

legs are a little bit sore from yesterday's 17 miler; some my fault- when I got to the turnaround (out and back) and started up the switchbacks, I saw a gal tearing it up- they run a shuttle from town so folks can run/hike/bike back to town. She was evidently on that shuttle as mine were the only tracks out. I thought I'm not going to be passed on the way up, so turned up a couple of notches. She hadn't  passed me as i topped out, thinking it would probably happen soon. I decided that I would keep it for a bit longer to postpone the inevitable, still no pass. I kept the pace up expecting to hear footsteps at anytime, never did- funny what will motivate you 

going to crossfit, I mean strength train this evening

qotd: he is definitely in a league of his own

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Sandy-2

Monday was a SRD for me.

QOTD: Whenever I looked at the tracker I couldn't get it to work right.  Wonder if Killian has shoulder problems.  I helped a high school kid pop his shoulder back in place during a game and he went back in and played later.  the kid had a really loose shoulder so he could do that. If it was popped back in pretty quickly it might not have caused him too much pain.  Still he's a beast.

qotd: I was following, one friend (first timer) finished and the other (who has 3 finishes already) dnf'ed.  I was also following the front-runners. Yes Killian is a beast, DD, I read that this wasn't the first time it popped out and he had to pop it back in, so I guess it's similar to your comment (my oldest brother had the same thing.)

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL