Trailer Trash

TGIFriday (Read 20 times)

LB2

I ran 3 miles early this morning. It was nice and easy.

QOTD: If there was an ultra trail event in the Olympics, what distance do you think it should be and who do you think would, or should, represent the USA?

I think that logistically, the 50K would be the most logical choice for the event. If that were the case, I would say Sage Canaday or Max King. For the women, I would say Kaci Lickteig. I would stick with Sage or Max for any distance between 50K and 50M.

I would be more interested in the 100 mile, and I would keep Kaci, but I would change to Rob Krar or Jim Walmsley. I would stick with this for 100K to 100M.

LB2

AT-runner

Tim

SRD today.  My back is really sore from yesterday's run. I slipped a bit on a wet root and jarred my left SI joint pretty good.  Felt like I was in my 50's when I woke up, then remembered that I am in my 50's.

Where's NH been lately.  Every time he gets a job, he ignores us.  Hope he is well.

QOTD:  I think it would have to be 50 miles at least to stand out from the marathon, and hopefully on a nice mix of mountain and hills.  Not sure who to put in on the US side (I like your choices)  but Kilian would win the Gold.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

muppy

6.5 miles in the farm fields of Hershey.

QOTD I would vote for 50 miles, more bang for the buck!  Not sure about the elite people to run, but I say they should have a normal person running so you can see how fast the elite people really are.

LB2

QOTD:  I think it would have to be 50 miles at least to stand out from the marathon, and hopefully on a nice mix of mountain and hills.  Not sure who to put in on the US side (I like your choices)  but Kilian would win the Gold.

I think you are right about it needing to be at least 50 miles to stand out from the marathon. And, at that level, you will probably have some sub 6 hour finishes. I'd hate to see Spain run away with the gold. I don't know that Krar and Killian have ever been in a race together. And I am pretty sure that Walmsley and Killian have never been in one together. This has me thinking about how many different factors impact the results of a race at that level at longer distances: terrain, temperature, altitude, cloudy, sunny, humidity, and whether or not it is raining. Anything can happen; I am proof of that. I won the only 50 mile race I ran. I won't run another one. I shall remain undefeated at the distance. I hate that distance.

LB2

XtremeTaper

7 miles last night with the Lady on the trails of Green Lane, and 9+ today at lunch to the track and back. Did 3,200 worth of intervals today for something different. Must be Olympic overload. Cloudy and pleasant on the run to the track but sun just blazed away as I ran in circles. Still, I've always been a fan of hot track workouts.

QOTD: No idea on the competitors, but a timed event seems the way to go. Impossible to have much fan interaction on a trail ultra unless they manufacturer a loop course like they do for xc skiing. Now that could be interesting. 50k,100k seems right for that type of thing.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Ran a wee bit over 6 this morning.  Bought myself a Garmin25 yesterday.  It comes in a large (for men) and a small (for  women)...the men's came in black with red or green lines...nice...the woman's are pink and white or purple and black...not line but the band.  I have dinky wrist and really liked the idea a  smaller watch but really lavender or pink!!  WTF!!   Ok got the lavender one.

QOTD: 50 miles and I don't know...

AT:   I remember  NH saying he may actually like this new job so that may be the reason he has been gone.  He always threatens to leave us but than comes back. 

Gaotor Eye:  Good look tomorrow,,,,hope to see you there next year!

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

10 this morning, another bright moon.

QOTD: My vote is for 50 miles or 100k - but I do not know who for the US.  But did you guys know there is a 50k event in the Olympics? The 50k walk.  It was on today coincidentally.  It is a joke, although they walk faster than I run.  But it is really tough to watch.

Have a great weekend!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

AT-runner

Tim

QOTD: My vote is for 50 miles or 100k - but I do not know who for the US.  But did you guys know there is a 50k event in the Olympics? The 50k walk.  It was on today coincidentally.  It is a joke, although they walk faster than I run.  But it is really tough to watch.

Have a great weekend!

I watched some of the 20K the other day. It's painful to watch, and they have to have a judge follow them around to penalize them if they break stride. Looks like it would kill my hips.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

LB2

Have a great weekend!

I read a story a few years ago about a guy who was an elite walker. He committed suicide when he didn't make the Olympic team. It was tragic. I didn't even know there was such a thing. But his 50K walk was better than my best 50K run. Of course, his 50K walk was on a track; still, I could not walk that fast. I need to do some googling and see if I can find him.

Update: Al Heppner was the guy. Turns out Heppner, in 2004, missed the qualifying at Chula Vista by placing 5th. However, he was on a team that would be competing in Germany later that would fill the next two spots on Team USA for the 2004 Summer Olympics. One of the main competitors was focusing on the 20K instead of the 50K. So, Heppner had a great chance to make the team a couple of months later. However, he killed himself after not making the initial cut at Chula Vista. Also, back in 2000, he DNF'd at the Olympic trials after getting hypothermia during the race. That is a tragic story. The guy's PR was 3:58:XX. That is some fast walking.

LB2

XtremeTaper

50k race walk... my 50k PR (on trails) is an hour slower then the race walk winning time today (3:40).

I believe I could have taken down the ladies though in the 20k! Big grin

In dog beers, I've only had one.

NHLA

6 miles this morning.

qotd  50k  Don't know who would win.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

SRD today; drove to Eureka in the Northwest corner of the state. DW's birthday tomorrow, we're staying in a cabin for a couple of nights and plan on some day hiking and high lake fishing in the Ten Lakes area. We went backpacking in the area almost 30 years ago when our girls were little.

qotd: 50 miles would be fun to watch, IF it was on trails.

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

No run yet, just busy with work and organizing everything around kids and the new college student (DD). Maybe later today - it's a full moon, so that should be nice. And even better, nobody would see me stop every 1/4 mile to catch my breath 

Queen: The Garnin is waterproof? Just slip in a mud puddle and catch yourself with your hand. Should make a nice new color, in the camouflage-reddish brown hues, just right for fall.

QOTD: 50 miles to make it stand out against a marathon. For the runners, I have no idea. Some young people maybe?

Run for fun.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Marie- glad to see you back   You'll be just fine when you get running again, that I'm quite sure.

Mike

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Gator eye

Thanks Queen, sitting here at 10 pm waiting for the clock to go around a couple more times before I leave the hotel. didn't get much sleep, it's going to be a long night. Forecast is calling for rain and thunder storms tonight and tomorrow, hoping it holds off.