Trailer Trash

White Rim Trail FKT: Video, Pictures and a Bunch of Words (Read 54 times)

Occasional Runner

Here's my report from my FKT on the White Rim Trail. This record stood for almost 8 years and now I know why. We had a nice weekend in Moab for once.

http://www.slippingslowlyintopain.blogspot.com/2014/03/white-rim-trail-fkt.html

Thanks for checking it out.

Kelly

Birdwell

Nice work!

Glad to see the Mt. bikers left Jo alone 

this has me more determined than ever to go for a FKT out in Arizona next spring. To have your name attached to that trail must feel really good.

Congrats.

Occasional Runner

Here's an interview I did right after the FKT.

http://trailandultrarunning.com/white-rim-100-new-fkt-by-kelly-agnew/

LB2

How do you make that FKT official? What evidence do you have to provide for it to be recorded?

LB2

Occasional Runner

There are a few rules. First off, you have to make a public announcement before the attempt, which I did here and on FB. They prefer that you have a witness as well as GPS data. When I ran White Rim, I took a lot of pictures and video of the run to support my claim. I also have all the GPS data.

Peter Bakwin, who held the record before I did, didn't have any evidence, other than his crew to witness his claim. Nobody ever challenged it as far as I know.

Congrats on the new FKT. Beautiful photos as well!

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Very cool.  Congratulations!  Do you find that it is a different ball game doing these types of solo efforts than a race?  Do you feel more/less/equally motivated when you're out on your own like that?

**Ask me about streaking**

Occasional Runner

Very cool.  Congratulations!  Do you find that it is a different ball game doing these types of solo efforts than a race?  Do you feel more/less/equally motivated when you're out on your own like that?

That's an insightful question. I feel far more stressed and I feel like there's way more pressure. Having to announce your intentions beforehand means that people are going to pay some attention to the outcome, and failing under those circumstances would be embarrassing (to me anyway). I also had all my sponsors watching very closely. They were also very invested in my run, so I felt tremendous pressure to perform well so I could protect their investment.

When I run a 100 mile race, I'm one of many runners on the course and having to DNF would hardly register a blip on any radar. Running a high profile FKT puts you under the spotlight.

Watoni

Great job to both you and Jo!

SheCan

What a fantastic accomplishment.  Its even hard for me to even imagine courage and strength you had to have to do this.  The pictures were gorgeous, and I feel we're so super lucky to have someone of your caliber on here.  Great interview also!  So super cool.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Occasional Runner

I really like how that picture came out.

Thanks for being so kind. We're fortunate to have a lot of great runners and contributors in this group. Except for Burke, of course. But otherwise, it's a solid group and I'm happy to know you all.

That FKT will probably always be a highlight of my running career because it's such a popular trail and the record stood for so many years. I quietly prepared for the attempt for a long time and never knew if I would be able to pull it off. I'm really pleased with how it all worked out.

What a fantastic accomplishment.  Its even hard for me to even imagine courage and strength you had to have to do this.  The pictures were gorgeous, and I feel we're so super lucky to have someone of your caliber on here.  Great interview also!  So super cool.

AT-runner

Tim

Nice job, Kelly.

Funny with the distance variations.  The Mt. Biking site lists the loop as 103 miles, so I'm sure a cyclo-computer was different as well.

White Rim Trail

The White Rim Trail is Utah's ultimate multi-day party trail. The trail is a 103-mile loop on jeep road through Canyonlands National Park.

Technically, this trail is fairly easy. But the length (and a few stiff climbs) means you need to be in good condition to do the whole thing.

They say you need to be in good condition to do it. 

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Occasional Runner

They say you need to be in good condition to do it. 

Yeah, and they're talking about biking it. All the mountain bikers I saw were taking 2 or 3 days to cover it.

I'm certain Peter Bawkin got his info right off the park maps because I added it up and it came up with his exact mileage. I don't think he has any GPS data from his FKT on the White Rim.

I read that website you quoted and many others while preparing for the run. The total mileage is all over the board. I got 101.7 and my crew vehicle got 100.0. Either way, it's a long ass trail!

AT-runner

Tim

Either way, it's a long ass trail!

Yes, and you, my Pabst Beer drinking friend, hold the new record!

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Occasional Runner

Yes, and you, my Pabst Beer drinking friend, hold the new record!

HAHA!!! I know! That still seems ridiculous to me.