Trailer Trash

Winter Weather Fridaily (Read 25 times)

moonlightrunner

Snow, cold and ice! It really is winter today after yesterday's balmy temps. Sadly, I have to drive a long way today, and along the lake shore. It will be slow going.

I hope you all have a great weekend. My hope is I  post the story of becoming one of the Frozen Few. If not that, at least a good story of fun and adventure.

You all be careful, nasty weather headed east!

QOTD:  Have you ever run a long race totally undertrained? Did it turn out well?

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

Birdwell

I hope to go for a walk later today and take advantage of the sunshine and warmth we have.

QOTD: In hindsight, every race I've ever entered I was woefully under-trained. The worst one was probably my rim to rim to rim attempt at the grand canyon (not a race). Going from south rim to the north rim, I hit a point, north of the cottonwood campground, where I realized I could make it to the north rim, or I could make it back to the car at the south rim, but was physically unable of doing both things that same day. I walked back to the car.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Interesting qotd. I'm actually going to try a double today because I've run too many long races totally under trained. Remains to be seen whether I'll really get out for a second run.

qotd: obviously yes as you can see from my post. Not turning out well would be an understatement

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

XtremeTaper

Last night, 6 miles on the hills of Coventry Woods with the Lady. Warm out. About 60 degrees and all the snow is gone. I ran some of these same trails on Sunday and it was snowpacked and 50 degrees colder. Timed my run last night and I have a long way to go before I consider myself back to my old running self.

Today. Even warmer with spring like rain. I think I will get out at lunch for a few miles on the road or local trail. Temps must be plunging overnight as there is a winter advisory for ice overnight into tomorrow morning.

QOTD: I've almost always felt confident at starting lines about being able to cover the distance of the race ahead. Now as to time goals, that's another story, but I'm pretty good at gauging myself. One or two races do stick out... Laurel Highland 70 miler in 2013, I was sort of stepping my feet back into the longer stuff again after some injuries , and I had no crew that year meaning I took the one way bus trip to the start line and had to rub back. I was sort of worried that day, that I might not make it, but alas 20 or 30 miles in I found my groove and finished up nicely, so indeed I was trained for the distance. A funny one... I ran my first 5k about a month after my first marathon. Now this is more of a not trained for the speed story. I just went out like a bat out of hell, with a goal to break 20 minutes. 2 miles in I had the side stitch from hell and oh boy did that last mile feel long and slow. Slow motion, as I was being passed by small children and senior citizens, or so it seemed. I did not break 20 in that race, but did train properly for a 5k the next year and managed that distance much better.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

AT-runner

Tim

Moon - good luck this weekend. I hope you learn a lot and have fun. Sounds like an epic race.

Balmy 62° here. Since I skipped my Wednesday run I'm supposed to meet a friend for a run on the Battlefield at lunch.  Should be speed work for me the way I've slowed down lately. And yes, I have my running shoes today!

Any other racers/ pacers this weekend?  Good luck!

Birdwell - good to see you. How's the little guy doing?

QOTD:  Yes, seems like I feel that way for most of them as far as really performing, but like XT, I know I'll finish, so I adjust my goals.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Gator eye

Cold rain turning into snow. Rest day

qOtD yes. And I would like to tell a tail of a happy ending  but I can't sorry

good luck Moon, drive careful

welcome back bird

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

moon- best of luck, definitely an epics race

got 3.5 miles and 1000’ in with Tiny Elvis- cold and snow- the usual 

strength training this evening and then packing for a backcountry ski trip into a USFS cabin- should be fun

qotd: my epic undertrained event was also a R2R2R- I made it- barely, wasn’t sure I was going to make it- it was very bad

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

AT-runner

Tim

qotd: my epic undertrained event was also a R2R2R- I made it- barely, wasn’t sure I was going to make it- it was very bad

My R2R2R was during what probably was my best training season. I was so afraid of the line "going down is optional, coming up is mandatory" that I really followed my training plan for my double crossing. Maybe I just need to be scared to get motivated.  

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Good to see some new/old "faces" again.  No run for me yet.  I will try and fit in something late tonight but lots happening today between work and DW work party tonight.

My weekend plans right now are a Saturday full of basketball games, DS2 has a b-day party to attend, some playoff football, and maybe some work on the basement.  Maybe.

QOTD: I would say yes but it's totally subjective about what it means to be "ready" for a race.  I have gone into many races not feeling like I was ready and did ok I think.  But not sure I have ever gone into a race with very little running.  I have been saying for a few years that runners can get by with fewer miles run in training than what might be expected.  But again that is subjective.  Can you go into a 50k with no LRs over 15 miles in the 3 months prior? It's possible but I might not be mentally ready to run it.  I did jump into a 33 miler in November and I don't think I ran further than 22 miles in the months leading up to it.  I think if a runner has experience in the past running a specific distance then it is less an issue to go in undertrained than for someone who has never run that distance.

Have a great weekend!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

My R2R2R was during what probably was my best training season. I was so afraid of the line "going down is optional, coming up is mandatory" that I really followed my training plan for my double crossing. Maybe I just need to be scared to get motivated.  

Ha!  I was also a little scared of going down into the GC, even though we were only going to the river and back.  I mean, I obviously knew I could make it out, but the fact that there is ZERO options for you bail...it messes with your mind a little!

Running is dumb.

runtraildc

Morning folks. Just returned from 6 misty and foggy miles in 60 degrees. Tomorrow is forecast to be 40 degrees colder (with windchill), so it was 'enjoy it while you can' run.

Moon-- good luck and I hope you have a lot of fun out there

Birdwell-- It's nice to hear from you, although I'm sorry to hear that all hasn't been well. I hope things get better and please drop by more often. Running is not actually required here. 

qotd: My 'long' is short compared to most of you. Yes, I've run undertrained, but at most a HM, a couple of hours later and it's over. And like giving birth, a few more hours and the pain is forgotten.

Daydreamer1

Good Lord, it's so warm here that I can't work on painting in my garage because of the condensation covering everything  Desperate Rage animated emoticon.  Really needed to get some of my car project done today.  At the same time I'll probably run in shorts because it's so warm Dancing Banana animated emoticon.    Looking at doing about 6 miles.

Had good ringside seats for the Rodeo last night. DW and DD had to pay to watch and I got paid to watch it. Gotta love that.  Some of those dudes there are really, super high strung. Far more so then any of the college football players I've  been around.

Welcome back Birdwell. Good to see you back.

QOTD:  If I ever run a race fully trained or over trained it will probably be in my dreams.  For some reason I never get in the amount of training I want to.  My 50 miler at Tussey Mountianback  was classic me.  Training was going decent but not super. 7 weeks out turned a ankle could put in the mileage I needed to. Had some good parts, crawled up some hills, had GI issues, puked a lot, felt like death, staggered in DFL with only a few minutes left, then went home and developed the worst case of hiccups I've ever had or seen. Had to lay flat to keep them from feeling like my diaphragm was going to rupture. Swore off running long, ever again.   Maybe I'll do that one again next year.

LB2

We got totally dumped on last night with rain, and I stayed up watching the Tonya Harding story. My wife talked me into staying up to watch it with her, and then, she went to bed half way through but wanted me to stay up and finish watching it. So, I gave her a report this morning. As with most controversial things, I think, as one person on the show stated, that "the truth lies somewhere in the middle." I had already decided I wouldn't plod through puddles this morning anyway, regardless of Tonya's story.

QOTD: Yes. I was under trained at Pinhoti in 2012. It was hot, but I didn't do enough long runs over the summer. Plus, based on finishing comfortably in my first 100 mile run at Rocky earlier that year in conditions that were terrible, I figured I could get by on less. Wrong!! That ended in a DNF. I was definitely under trained, but I probably could have made it, maybe. But I got mad, mostly at myself and just quit.

That 2012 race was not my only DNF, but it was the only one related to being under trained.

LB2

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I think I would do much better now; I was a brand new runner (a little less than a year under my belt)- definitely bit off more than I could chew, but still goes down as an epic adventure 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Queen of Nothing

Sue

6.4 with the running group...these people help me get out of bed in the morning.  Jack took off after ??? but I had a light on his neck so knew that he was still running parallel with the trail.  Nice temps and rain has stopped.  Most of the conversation was about diet.  everyone here is doing the 10% carbs, 70% fat, and 20% carbs.  I've seen woman get greats result with this but I just can't get into restricting so much...and all that fat just seems wrong!

QOTD:  I ran a 50K undertrained (It was the Salmon race where I met Gatsby) and when my ankle pain was still high (before Hokas).  I finished, I was passed by folks that normally didn't pass, I needed a beer at the end because my body was tensing up.  Look at my training log...I usually am undertrained but this race it was more than usual.

Moonlight runner:  Good luck this weekend.

Birdwell:  Glad to see you...how is the little Bird?  Sorry about life issues but they will pass.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄