Trailer Trash

Terrific Tuesday (Read 19 times)

LB2

I'll try a run after work. My back is messed up pretty bad, but I am hoping it will allow a few miles after moving around all day at work.

QOTD: What is your favorite trail shoe of all time?

I think I would have to say that my favorite trail shoe is the Altra Lone Peak. It has great traction, and I find it very comfortable. However, it can sort of flatten out on you a little sooner than I like. But overall, it is a solid shoe that keeps my feet blister free and give my toes plenty of room with a good ground feel.

LB2

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Got it a nice 4.5 last night in the hood except I had a little bear attack.  Good thing I found a port o potty.  Could have been a disaster.

From yesterday - Jon - I have been to Quebec City but I was 16 at the time so many years ago.  The "old" part of the city is great - cobble stone streets, little shops, etc.  Other than being mugged there , I had an enjoyable time.

moonlight - welcome back!!!!

QOTD: I loved my Salomon's.  Not sure the actual shoe but it was about 6 years ago.  But I tried moving on to other Salomon shoes and they just were not the same.  But I had a lot of good trail runs in those!

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

runtraildc

Morning, folks. Got in 5 miles this morning, which included a track workout with my 75 yo friend. He was telling me about a 5k race he ran on Saturday that he didn't take 1st because the age group was 60+ and with that, he 'didn't have a chance'. Those darn young'uns!

Queen-- I don't miss what I don't know. meaning the music thing from yesterday. Gardening does for me what I think music does for others- we're all just wired a little differently.  And I didn't know the music thing was actually something til I looked it up a couple of years ago. I just always knew others seem to be enjoying music on a much different level than me.

qotd: Brooks Cascadias (the old versions).  I'm disappointed with the Saucony Peregrines. I thought that they would be the next great thing for me, but alas, no.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

nice 5-ish yesterday evening, mid 60's with sunshine- call for a little warmer today (70), going to get 5-ish after work

I'm signed up for a 30k this weekend, but am torn- run the 30k or head for the mountains with a pack and snowshoes- the later is better prep for the Bob Open at the end of the month

qotd: I loved the PI N2s, but the N3s are the exact same shoe with just a bit more cushion, so they are my new favorite

I like the toebox of Altras, but I don't like the 0 drop; I like the cushioning of the Hokkas, but find them less than nimble- I still use both in my rotation, but the N3 is my go to

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

NHLA

9 miles  Tranquillity Place.  Great neighborhood.  80s ranch houses on five acre wooded lots.

Qotd  the newest Brooks Casedia. Much better grip.

runtraildc

Are you running in the 11's or 12's?

9 miles  Tranquillity Place.  Great neighborhood.  80s ranch houses on five acre wooded lots.

Qotd  the newest Brooks Casedia. Much better grip.

Daydreamer1

Going to head out in a few hours for a bike ride with DW. It's a little chilly and breezy so we're waiting until it warms up.  After that I'll cut a few trees down and so a short run, probably only about 5 miles. Yesterday's five miles started out horrible, got a little better, then ended up being 6 miler. Always like when it goes that way.

LB2- Sounds like you need to take some Valium. That stuff works very good for back spasms.

Jamie - Been into Quebec but not the city.  Didn't get mugged but had a really bad experience to the point I'm not really interested in going back.

Runtrail - Always love to see the older guys and gals still running.

Warden - Decisions, decisions. To me mountains and snowshoes sounds like cold feet. Alright in the winter but at this time of the year it's time to run where it's warm.

NHLA - My first pair of trail shoes were Cascadia 5s. Really liked them for medium distances.  Then some of the other versions seemed to be lesser quality and slippy according to my son. He still runs in them but I think his last version was the 9s.

QOTD: Hoka Speedgoat. It has the right blend of cushioning and other performance parameters that I like.  Drains well, fits me, sheds mud and grips wet rocks decently.  Good for technical and non-technical trails.

jonferg67

Endless trails

Hi everyone,

I got in a few miles this morning, had a little trouble sleeping but still got up to

run. Feels like late winter here in the Northeast.

I thought that QOTD from yesterday had potential of polarizing us as a group. Funny

how we have this one thing in common that we can all relate to but have wildly

different views of other things.

QOTD: I have fond memories of my first pair of trail shoes, New Balance 703's. Loved

those things and wore them till the duct tape no longer covered the holes.

AT-runner

Tim

Tuesday Afternoon

Ran 6 easy miles on some soft and muddy trails.  I felt pretty tired, so took it very easy.

Agree that we are a diverse group with trail running as out connection.  I like that about trail runners in general. One of my running buddies and I can't talk about anything except trail running, because we don't share the same political views or music taste, or even tastes in movies. He even loves hot weather and I love cold weather, so we stick to what we love and get along just fine.

Warden - We watched The Big Lebowski and Fargo this past weekend.  DW hadn't seen Fargo since it first came out, and was couldn't stop laughing.  The Dud abides...awe you betcha'.

QOTD:  Inov8 TrailRock 255's.  There stopped making them and I bought a few pairs on deep discount, but now I'm 1/2 way through my last pair. 

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

NorthernHarrier

Just got back from a little over 6 trail miles. Chilly here with temp of 47F. Wanted to get a bike ride in before heading home but since I have become a softie I won't ride in temps under 50F. So loading my canoe stuff and heading home early with the plan to be pointing 'er towards Ontario tomorrow around lunch time for a shorter adventure of 6 days or so.

Jonfer--I too have been to both cities but many years ago. Not much in the way of specifics other than Quebec City I remember as being beautiful and Montreal was too big with traffic jams.

QOTD--IDK maybe La Sportivas Raptor. Seems to have a nice heel to toe transition for my stride with great traction even on wet rock.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

No run this am but may go at lunch..jeep is back in the shop and getting a water pump... and it needs to be smogged...

QOTD: Probably the Cascadia 7 and 6but I for

Helped again with beams last night.  I will be glad when we are done with those.  See the long beam at the right.  When we were threading that out onto the post Mike had me sitting on the end.  I keep picturing the post dropping and me being catapulted up and over the driveway.

Image may contain: plant, bridge, outdoor and nature

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

AT-runner

Tim

Helped again with beams last night.  I will be glad when we are done with those.  See the long beam at the right.  When we were threading that out onto the post Mike had me sitting on the end.  I keep picturing the post dropping and me being catapulted up and over the driveway.

You'll get the house all fixed up and then not want to leave it.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

LB2

LB2- Sounds like you need to take some Valium. That stuff works very good for back spasms.

QOTD: Hoka Speedgoat. It has the right blend of cushioning and other performance parameters that I like.  Drains well, fits me, sheds mud and grips wet rocks decently.  Good for technical and non-technical trails.

I never would have guessed that about valium. I did take a muscle relaxer yesterday evening, and it settled things down pretty good. It is definitely a muscle issue, not bone/disc. So far, moving around has helped a great deal. If I see a snake on the trail this afternoon and make a sudden move, I may be done in for awhile. I may stick to the gravel road or take one more day. I just don't know if I can handle not running today. My legs want to go.

I have never worn the Speedgoats, but I am looking at them. I have a pair of Stinson ATR 3's that have very few miles on them. I will continue running them through the summer, but I will likely run my fall race in Lone Peaks or Olympus. I'll have to get a new pair, though. My 2.0's have been promoted to turkey hunting shoes. I bet I got close to 900 miles out of them before that, though.

LB2

jonferg67

Endless trails

I keep picturing the post dropping and me being catapulted up and over the driveway.

Now, THAT would have been a cool picture to see. Coming along nicely, Sue, looks like a great spot

to relax.

XtremeTaper

Time pressed today and need to mow the lawn tonight so probably no run.

Back home after a trip down south for my niece's wedding in GA. We had a good time and after Friday, the weather was sunny, cool and breezy, but good for an outdoor wedding. Actually the ceremony was outside but the reception/dinner in a barn type structure on the property. A rural location in the north GA mountains. We all stayed at Amicalola Falls state park, most folks at cabins or the lodge on the top of the mountain above the falls. Judi, the beasts and I had a 1BR cottage/cabin below the falls next to a roaring stream. The falls are the highest east of the Mississippi River (729 feet) and the AT approach trail starts here (climbs the stairs from the base to the top of the falls), as well as an alternative route to the AT via the Hike Inn trail. The Hike Inn is a hotel in the midst of the mountains, accessible to hikers only for overnight stays. The Lady and I did both the falls climb/loop and part of the hike in trail on Saturday, then a trip out to the Hike Inn on Sunday. Typical Appalachian Woods type trails, deep in the woods or so it felt. LadyB was pretty much warmly greeted and fawned over by people we met on the trail. SirB, bless his heart took a walk up to the base of the falls one day with me as well. I had hoped to go out to the southern terminus of the AT one day but was moving pretty slow and did not want to dedicate 4+ hours away from family to the round trip. So the Hike Inn out/back was a nice compromise.

In dog beers, I've only had one.